Gibson Brands Forums

Questions on using an Overdrive pedal with my Les Paul and Marshall Amp

EddieNYC

Not sure if this is an ok forum for this, but i’ll Ask here.

I have 2017 Gibson Les Paul Standard that I play through my Marshall DSL 5CR and I just picked up an overdrive pedal (JSH Bonsai).

The two main types of music I am playing are Hard Rock/Classic Metal (maiden, Metallica, Priest, Motley, GnR, etc) and modern country like Jason Aldean, Eric Church, and Zac Brown.

Here are some questions:

1) for the rock and metal, it seems like the route to go is to use the amp’s gain channel and just tone and volume on the pedal with very little to no Overdrive from the pedal. Does that seem like a good starting point, using the pedal volume level to drive more gain?

2) for the country stuff it seems like I may be able to get away with using the clean channel and driving it with the pedal volume and overdrive knobs. I don’t think that music or more “gainy “ than that. Does that sound like a good staring point?

3) if i’m Using the clean channel and driving it with the pedal, where should I put the amp’s clean channel gain? all the way up, 12 o’clock, or somewhere else?

Thanks - looking forward to participating in this forum!

I’d dial in a good metal sound with the red channel and keep the green channel for the country with the Bonsai used for lead boost with a fair amount of volume and low - mid gain.

This way you have a good metal sound and a low gain country sound that you can clean up even more with guitar volume or split coils. The Bonsai can be used on either channel to boost the front end more (using pedal volume) and add a bit more gain. Like other said less gain is better since you will retain dynamics and articulation so figure you sound out with that in mind.

IDK, I have the DSL 40C (and I am getting rid of the POS) and I use the CLEAN Channel(Green/Classic Gain JCM800-2201 Mode) with the GAIN on '4' w/stacked EHX 'Soul-Food' as a BOOST OUT to FULLTONE 'OCD' 'or "Freidman 'Dirty Shirley' or BOSS "Metal Zone 2' Pedals, depending how HEAVY I want to be (Guitar to 'DIRT' Pedals TO STEREO CHORUS OUT to AMP's INPUTS, Marshall DSL 40C & a VOX Night-Train)....and it sounds pretty BAD-A$ if I do say so myself......

STACKING the 'DIRT' Pedals (with EHX SF as a Boost), should get you to METAL GOD LAND, it just sounds better/heavier thru a li'l Combo AMP than relying on the AMP's DIRT Channel, IMO......

I’d dial in a good metal sound with the red channel and keep the green channel for the country with the Bonsai used for lead boost with a fair amount of volume and low - mid gain.

This way you have a good metal sound and a low gain country sound that you can clean up even more with guitar volume or split coils. The Bonsai can be used on either channel to boost the front end more (using pedal volume) and add a bit more gain. Like other said less gain is better since you will retain dynamics and articulation so figure you sound out with that in mind.

This is great - thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

for the country stuff i wouldn't use a dirt pedal, i'd go with a compressor and an eq.

when you dial in your sound, use about 15-20% less gain than you think you need. if you listen to your recorded self, you'll see that less gain is almost always better. [thumbup]

Totally agree, I don't see why you'd want a dirt pedal for this purpose. I also agree with "you'll see that less gain is almost always better". Listen to some old Led Zep and you'll realize Page did not generally use a lot of distortion.

I have a Marshall DSL40CR and most of the time I'm on the "red" channel OD1 (OD2 is just too much for stuff we play) with my gain at 6 or 7. I turn down the volume control on my guitar to clean it up with a good crunch for most of the stuff we're doing. We mostly play classic rock, southern rock, blues. For some of the harder rock songs we do, I'll turn up my volume on the guitar a bit higher and then turn it up to 10 for the solos if needed. For some of the country songs, I'll just turn the volume down a bit more on the guitar (to 3 or so) and use it to clean it up or dirty it up.

For some other country/acoustic type songs, I'll use the "green" channel with the gain at about half with the "crunch" turned off and again, use the volume controls and different pickups on my guitar.

I don't really use pedals much. I have a wah pedal, a chorus, a reverb, a delay and noise gate but rarely use anything but the noise gate. I mostly use the OD1 channel and volume control and switching pickups on my guitars.

I have a Marshall DSL40CR and most of the time I'm on the "red" channel OD1 (OD2 is just too much for stuff we play) with my gain at 6 or 7. I turn down the volume control on my guitar to clean it up with a good crunch for most of the stuff we're doing. We mostly play classic rock, southern rock, blues. For some of the harder rock songs we do, I'll turn up my volume on the guitar a bit higher and then turn it up to 10 for the solos if needed. For some of the country songs, I'll just turn the volume down a bit more on the guitar (to 3 or so) and use it to clean it up or dirty it up.

For some other country/acoustic type songs, I'll use the "green" channel with the gain at about half with the "crunch" turned off and again, use the volume controls and different pickups on my guitar.

I don't really use pedals much. I have a wah pedal, a chorus, a reverb, a delay and noise gate but rarely use anything but the noise gate. I mostly use the OD1 channel and volume control and switching pickups on my guitars.

I agree completely. I just have the DSL1HR but I haven't found the need for any boost/distortion pedals. I don't play any metal, but I think with the right pickups you probably could.

I said jokingly in another thread that it makes me feel like Joe B. as in the video RABS posted.

Whether i’m Playing rock, metal, or that modern country which is pretty much rock, is there a rule of thumb where the amp’s clean channel gain setting should be? 5, 7, or maxed at 10 since the plan is to add some more gain via the pedals. There is just not a lot of gain on the normal amp clean channel even if it’s maxed. I definitely got the less is more comments.

Thanks!

Whether i’m Playing rock, metal, or that modern country which is pretty much rock, is there a rule of thumb where the amp’s clean channel gain setting should be? 5, 7, or maxed at 10 since the plan is to add some more gain via the pedals. There is just not a lot of gain on the normal amp clean channel even if it’s maxed. I definitely got the less is more comments.

Thanks!

Boring answer, but the right one IMHO: use your ears and dial in what sounds right.

Boring answer, but the right one IMHO: use your ears and dial in what sounds right.

Yes, you gotta use your ear. If you are using a channel that is already overdriven and want to boost it, you have to be careful not to add too much dirt with your pedal. You may want to look for something like a TubeScreamer or BlackFinger that will mostly add sustain and boost, otherwise dirt and noise will increase exponentially. Also be aware that full volume and low volume practicing will sound very different and you will need to readjust for those situations.

Its all in your ear.... :)

Archived