Gibson Brands Forums

Strings. What's next for your guitars?

MorrisrownSal

I am enjoying the new Martin strings (as well as I always enjoy the Gibson Masterbuilt strings).

And Strings and Beyond have 20% off today. So while I am set for six months easily, still ordered some more sets to try and play with.

Anyways, this is what I have right now. What do you have? And what's next for yours?

LWIxB4Ol.jpg

I'm also too boring for this thread.

I used D-Addario PB's for the Martins and 80/20's for the Gibsons.

I've done the "try every string imaginable" thing a while ago and determined that D'Addario's just get the job done, sound great, are affordable and can be found pretty much anywhere.

I used D'Addario EJ-17s on everything for years and over the summer when I was back in the U.S., I decided to try Martin Monels. Really liked them. In fact, when it was time for a string change a month or so ago, I put a set of EJ-17s on the J-35 just to see if I felt any different about my switch. The EJ-17s were off within a week, replaced (again) by the Monels. I'm a convert.

Have been using Martin Acoustic SP Custom Lights on strings 1, 2 and 3 and Martin Acoustic SP Mediums on strings 4, 5 and 6 for several years now. Lets me "bend" the upper strings while still keeping a nice bass sound. Of course the downside is that it takes two packs every time I change strings, but I don't change all that often. Not very interested in experimenting with other strings.

I usually buy what's on sale... D'Addario does it for me in general

but there have been specials on the Martin SP strings that I have

fallen for. They do get the job done IMHO. Either one.

For Electrics, I use D'Addario Nickel wound XL Blues/Jazz strings

in .011s or .010s. I get those in boxes of ten sets when I see them

marked down to $39.00 or less.

I'm using D'Addario EJ-14 Bluegrass style (light top, med bottom)

.012-.056 on my J-45 AG. These are 80/20 Bronze, and I find myself

wondering if a Phosphor Bronze set would sound warmer on this

instrument. I'll try those next.

For my Martin XC1T I'm using Martin SP light gauge 80/20 Bronze.

These sound great to me and last a long time. (maybe a month, less

when I'm traveling).

None of my guitars seem to break strings much. I used to break them

all the time, playing bars. Cain't figure why... But not only am I not hitting

them so hard now, I've learned to keep the bridge better maintained.

I never paid attention to those details during my bar days.

So the strings I mentioned seem to last until I start losing tone, and then

I remove them and replace them in sets. I like that a lot.

I settled on Martin SP's (PB) a long time ago. Every once in a while a get an itch to try something new, then I just go back to the Martin SP's. I have 2 guitars and I change both probably twice a year so not much need to buy strings in bulk.

My favorite strings are the Thomastik. Impossible to find locally though and quite pricey so more often as not I go with Newtones. My main issue at the moment, however, is that Newtone does not seem to have a reliable U.S. distribution deal as they are getting harder to find unless you order direct.

In your pile I have used the Mangan Traditional lights and the DR Sunbeams. The advantage of the Sunbeams, of course, is they are cheap and I can find them pretty much everywhere but I prefer the Mangans. I am not a fan of those Martin SP strings though.

Have you tried SIT strings? I had never used them but apparently they are made here locally so most of the shops use them as a default unless you ask for something specific. They sound good, stay in tune well but are not the longest lasting string out there. Of those they offer I have liked what they call the Royal Bronze strings the best.

I have Elixir 13s on my D-28. I only changed them because I broke one, otherwise I'd still be using the Elixir 13s that came on it when I bought it used a year and a half ago.

'64 SJ has bronze 13s. The only reason I left them on it is because they're deadening up nicely. I have a set of Nickel Bronze set aside for it when the time comes. Those work well on that guitar.

The rest of the acoustics....no idea. Whatever I grabbed I guess. Nothing exotic, probably D'Addario PB.

Telecaster, D'Addario 11-49 nickel. Cheap and last forever. Thinking about 12s. Been there before, may go back again.

I've had a '58 Gretsch Anniversary for a year or more. I put a set of flats on it and immediately threw them in the trash. Put D'Addario 12 nickel round wound on it and never looked back, sideways, or in my rear view mirror. They are perfect.

I am about to buy another archtop. I follow the exact same pattern every time. I put about 14 different sets of strings on it and then end up selling the guitar because we just disagree. This time I will follow one rule and one rule only. If it is a 24-3/4-ish scale, I will put bronze 13s on. If 25-1/2-ish, bronze 12s. No excuses.

I am enjoying the new Martin strings (as well as I always enjoy the Gibson Masterbuilt strings).

And Strings and Beyond have 20% off today. So while I am set for six months easily, still ordered some more sets to try and play with.

Anyways, this is what I have right now. What do you have? And what's next for yours?

LWIxB4Ol.jpg

Hey Sal, have you tried the Martin MA (bottom left I think, the blue circle) PB, and if so, do you have an opinion on how they compare to the regular Martin PB?

I've tried the new Martin strings too and they are pretty nice. Also trying the Straight Up strings and GHS Americana at this time and they both are good sounding on my J-45 and CW. I always end up going back to Pearse strings though no matter where I stray. See what happens this time.

Made in the USA, surely?? [rolleyes]

My usual set are Elixir 80/20 Nanowebs in Custom Light gauge - got a set in my guitar case. I'm thinking about trying a set of Elixir Polywebs. Anyone tried those?

nice poke bud...) (not) roll eyes...emoji man...

Hey Billroy... I have tried them. They were on my Takamine rental... and they are on my D18 now. The ones you see in the picture are not the treated ones. They are akin to the SPs of a few months back. I think they are going to go on my J45 Mahogany next.

There have been a few threads on the Martin forum about the new strings. Most folks are not pleased that prices were higher. But hey, that’s life. Look on the bright side... none of this will matter when the earth descends into a Cormack McCarthy novel in a few decades... the new strings are worth a shot.

Martin Authentics (SPs) 80/20 Bronze Lights (12s) for me. Been using Martin SP 80/20 Bronze Lights (12s) for years. No reason to change.

However, as I wear out 3rd strings before the rest of a set, I also buy single wound 3rd strings from Just Strings to hold me over a bit until I change all the strings with a new set of Martin SPs 80/20 Bronze Lights. The replacement 3rd strings are generic under the Just Strings name and are .24s.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I was a huge fan of the previous iteration of the Martin SP, and chose the PB variety. I haven’t warmed up to the new Martins, and REALLY miss the gold colored unwound strings of days gone by. I have rolled over to John Pearce land as well as Martin Retros on my J45 (with an occasional detour to the D’Add nickel bronze strings.

Fun to switch around just for variety. I’m even enjoying Elixers on my Taylor 510....a string I never liked on any guitar previously.

Roger

I've had D'Addario Nickel Bronze on my Gibson AJ maple for awhile now. Figured a string change would be coming up soon so I ordered two sets of 80/20's from Gibson. I had previously posted I didn't like the 80/20's I strung it up with that were in the case candy left from 2016. Then I thought maybe some newer ones might sound better. My problem is the D'Addario Nickel Bronze are refusing to die. They sound better week by week! I have an OCD about strings being on for more than a few weeks but ya gotta keep lovin' the sound when it's still happenin'

Archived