Gibson Brands Forums

gold or silver head stock writing.

BR1B3R

I have been looking for a used sg standard. I have two options on a site near the area I live. However I have noticed that one has silver writing( that says gibson on the headstock) and the other one is in gold. The one in silver is a 2004v year while the other one is not specified at all... Could one be a fake or is this a common thing? I am way new to picking out the difference in a guitar that pretty much looks the same. I don't have the model number or I might be able to find out myself. Please I know a lot of you know a lot about these guitars. I do not (yet) but I learn new things every day. Please help a new collector in with good advice.

Thank you to all that answer this and I hope to have many more topics in the future I love talking guitars now. I've played them for a long time but never got into specs, builds, years and am now finding it the most interesting thing now. ( don't tell my girlfriend ha ha)

Thanks.....

I have been looking for a used sg standard. I have two options on a site near the area I live. However I have noticed that one has silver writing( that says gibson on the headstock) and the other one is in gold. The one in silver is a 2004v year while the other one is not specified at all... Could one be a fake or is this a common thing? I am way new to picking out the difference in a guitar that pretty much looks the same. I don't have the model number or I might be able to find out myself. Please I know a lot of you know a lot about these guitars. I do not (yet) but I learn new things every day. Please help a new collector in with good advice.

Thank you to all that answer this and I hope to have many more topics in the future I love talking guitars now. I've played them for a long time but never got into specs' date=' builds, years and am now finding it the most interesting thing now. ( don't tell my girlfriend ha ha)

Thanks.....

[/quote']Pics would help, a lot!

the silver (really MOP) is the standard Gibson inlay for SG Standards, '61 RI, Custom Shop models, etc...

like this:

headstock.jpg

the 'gold' could be one of two things....

it's the silkscreened version (not an inlay) - like on the SG Specials

like this (and if it's like this - it's not a Standard - so be careful):

headstock.jpg

- OR -

it's like on the ebony (black) '61 RI GOTW from 2007, with actual gold coloured inlay (instead of white MOP)...

like this:

200761reissue4.jpg

This is the best pic I could get of the guitar it's not my guitar... I don't want to bother the seller too much until I know for sure that it's a guitar that I am interested in. It's kind of a bad picture to try and tell what we are talking about though. I think I might have him email me more pics. Also thanks to everyone who helped me out on this... (awesome forum)

THANKS...

9248522.jpg

So does anyone know what years they made the standard that has gold inlay instead of silver? I'm sure it's gotta be a more recent model also. I love this forum I've learned so much in the last few days just reading everything on here. I'm hooked just another addiction. (HAHA)

Archived