Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rbpicker

This Old Guitar, cover

This is a quick iPhone take on an old John Denver tune, This Old Guitar. I really liked his take on these sweet, sappy songs, as I think he really lived them. I miss John.

I hope you enjoy my attempt. I am playing a Taylor 510, Lutz spruce over mahogany.

Roger

Nice Job! But for me, when it comes to John Denver, it was never as much about the delivery as the fact the guy wrote pretty cheesy songs.

ZW, JD had a kind and empathetic public disposition; he was a very likeable personality and seemed to care about the earth and humanity. But I am curious as to what you mean by cheesy? Always interested in people's perception of music.

I do acknowledge that JD was an artist who really did not write dark material. Pretty much all of his stuff is mellow or upbeat. Is that what you mean or... ?

I like a lot of his stuff, yep, I do, but I love darker or 'heavier' songs, too.

And do you mind saying what country you are from? I get people mixed up on here.

=

Roger, that is a fine rendition, good playing and really good singing.

I hear zombie here

Maybe cheesy can be misunderstood

Music that’s just a bit ‘too nice’

I’m guilty too of not liking things that have no dirt in them

It’s a stones vs Beatles thing

Definitely not saying that john Denver isn’t any good. Absolutley not

And the cover played here is fantastic regardless

This is a great discussion. I understand the various points of view expressed here. To me his supreme talent overshadows the "snappiness" factor. Plus the fact that I really think his music came right from the heart. It's like he couldn't NOT write/sing those songs. I gotta respect anyone who stays true to their heart. OK, THATS sappy, I know.

Thanks for the kind words about my presentation..

Roger

Edited by rbpicker

This is a great discussion. I understand the various points of view expressed here. To me his supreme talent overshadows the "snappiness" factor. Plus the fact that I really think his music came right from the heart. It's like he couldn't NOT write/sing those songs. I gotta respect anyone who stays true to their heart. OK, THATS sappy, I know.

Thanks for the kind words about my presentation..

Roger

Very enjoyable cover Roger, thanks for sharing it!

I believe that JD had some songs that could fall into that cheesey, sappy or whatever you might want to call it category, but there were other songs that for me personally were very pleasing and well written.

Not everyone liked his voice, but I was always amazed at the power, the vibrato, the sweet soft high notes and sustain he had.

The early album "Windsong" had some nice tracks on it, and one of my favorites is "Song of Wyoming" which to me is a great depiction of a true "Cowboy" and he does such a nice rendition of it. I always thought this one would be a good one to attempt...

Give it a listen!

Very enjoyable cover Roger, thanks for sharing it!

I believe that JD had some songs that could fall into that cheesey, sappy or whatever you might want to call it category, but there were other songs that for me personally were very pleasing and well written.

Not everyone liked his voice, but I was always amazed at the power, the vibrato, the sweet soft high notes and sustain he had.

The early album "Windsong" had some nice tracks on it, and one of my favorites is "Song of Wyoming" which to me is a great depiction of a true "Cowboy" and he does such a nice rendition of it. I always thought this one would be a good one to attempt...

Give it a listen!

Thanks, that A Song Of Wyoming is a real good song. Written by Kent Lewis.

Thanks Keith, for taking a listen. And sincerely thanks for posting Song Of Wyoming. I had never heard that one, but would love to work on it. Not sure my pipes are up to the task, but it will be fun to try it. It is a beautiful song...very haunting in a way.

Roger