Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Day

IanHenry

I've been using a Yamaha THR10 for home use for the last few years but I fancied a change. I thought I'd look at a Marshall DSL1 and discovered an on line retailer selling a few at £100 off the list price so I thought, what the hell, at that price it's not a disaster if the things useless.

When it arrived and I first plugged it in, I thought it sounded awful and was a little disappointed, however after a few minutes playing with the controls I soon started to like it.

Some YouTube "reviews" aren't very complementary about those amps but I rather like it now. I kind of get the impression that it was built to be used on the dirty channel but I like the clean one, it gives a slightly "shimmering" sound that I really wasn't expecting from it and I like the ability to cut the power down to 1/2 a watt, also I was quite surprised that it came with a footswitch in the box.

On the minus side, an 8" speaker isn't ideal but it's ok and I'm sure it will improve with a little use.

O7fPiAn.jpg

These are really cool. One of my local music stores had some of these in and I played through one and I asked the owner, "How many watts is this? 10?" and he told me it was one watt and I was like, "You're kidding?!?!", so I was very impressed with these. Cool score.

Looks cool. Having never tried one, I'm interested how loud is 1 watt though? The lowest rated amp I have played through is a Fender Passport mini at 7 watts I believe.

It's actually reasonably loud, I haven't taken it to a band practice yet, I've always used my Yamaha THR10 which I believe is rated as 5 watts per channel (does that make it 10 watts?) but I suspect the Marshall will hod it's own. Certainly wouldn't consider trying it at a gig though.

I like the clean channel when it's set to half power, great for playing in the house.

Ian

It's actually reasonably loud, I haven't taken it to a band practice yet, I've always used my Yamaha THR10 which I believe is rated as 5 watts per channel (does that make it 10 watts?) but I suspect the Marshall will hod it's own. Certainly wouldn't consider trying it at a gig though.

I like the clean channel when it's set to half power, great for playing in the house.

Ian

Thanks for the info [thumbup] I'll have to test one out sometime.

• 1 month later...

Hi IanHenry,

I tried out one of the Yamaha THR10's and I absolutely loved this amp! I think that it sounded very full and is perfect for my situation. I currently have a full stack (that I never use anymore, really) and a 30W combo valve (tube) amp (w/ extension speaker cab when I need extra fullness in the sound). I'd like to have my combo reside at my practice location (with the band) and have a great sounding "quieter" amp for the home that I don't have to get my pedal boards out and such to get my tone ready. So this THR series of amps looks like a winner for me. I think that the price is right too. Personally, I like Yamaha stuff. Their keyboards are absolutely great. I have their Motif ES 8 and the MM8 which have held up for quite some time and work the same as the day I bought them. Great feeling weighted keys and rich tones - along with the music workstation support they have built in (more so the ES8 of course). Anyhow, thanks Ian for the posts on this. Yamaha makes good stuff - especially in the musical instrument industry... Of course, this is only my opinion here. But I think that many will agree that are in the same market as I am. Cheers!

Hi IanHenry,

I tried out one of the Yamaha THR10's and I absolutely loved this amp! I think that it sounded very full and is perfect for my situation. I currently have a full stack (that I never use anymore, really) and a 30W combo valve (tube) amp (w/ extension speaker cab when I need extra fullness in the sound). I'd like to have my combo reside at my practice location (with the band) and have a great sounding "quieter" amp for the home that I don't have to get my pedal boards out and such to get my tone ready. So this THR series of amps looks like a winner for me. I think that the price is right too. Personally, I like Yamaha stuff. Their keyboards are absolutely great. I have their Motif ES 8 and the MM8 which have held up for quite some time and work the same as the day I bought them. Great feeling weighted keys and rich tones - along with the music workstation support they have built in (more so the ES8 of course). Anyhow, thanks Ian for the posts on this. Yamaha makes good stuff - especially in the musical instrument industry... Of course, this is only my opinion here. But I think that many will agree that are in the same market as I am. Cheers!

Yes Chris, Yamaha make very good quality pieces of kit, no doubt about that.

Ian

I love the new Marshall DSL amps. I own a DSL40CR combo and that's the one I use with the band most of the time. We play mostly classic rock, blues, some country and it has the right sound for everything. I also have the DSL100HR 100 watt head and the Marshall 1960A 4x12 cabinet, just for fun. Marshall purists don't like them much since they're not made in the UK but they're fantastic amps. I've only tried the 100, 40 and 20 watt amps so far and they get the job done. Once you get that EQ dialed in, they're perfect for just about anything. The clean sound is nice and bright with good EQ response as well.

Archived