Gibson Brands Forums

Buzz when high E (#1 string) is played open

eeh1

OK guys and gals. When I play my high E (#1 string) open I get a buzz. I use a humidifier but have and will not touched the truss rod. Any suggestions what the problem is. Just the E no other string. The frets are fine.

If someone gives me the right answer I will tell my friends (all one of them, my cat) that you are very knowledgible.

The buzz is on my 1994 100th aniiversary Custom Ray Whitley SJ200 Brazilian. i hope it is nothing major.

You may find that one slot is too low. There's no quick easy fix. I've done the whole super glue and baking soda thing before and I just don't like it. The nut should be replaced if that's the case.

Another thing (less likely but possible) is that the 1st fret isn't seated quite right. Sight down the neck and see if the 1st fret is pooped up a little. If you find it to be, and you're ballsy, a gentle tap with a small brass hammer will usually reseat it.

The most common problem: If you can borrow a loupe or a good magnifying glass, look at the high 'e' nut slot. You will see a dark or shiny spot where the string rides. There will be some indication anyway. If that shiny spot is not right at the edge of the slot, then it's not making correct contact and can be giving you a buzz or a sitar tone. If that's what you find it's usually a simple fix of dressing the slot with a small piece of fine (400 or 600) grit sandpaper folded in half and carefully swiped through the nut slot at the same angle as the headstock. Try a few passes, tune it and try it. Repeat if necessary. Actually it's probably a good idea to pass a dry toothbrush through the slot first, just in case it's plain old dirt.

I forgot to add how I check nut height.

Fret each string between the 2nd and 3rd fret. Now look at how the string passes over the 1st fret. It should be almost touching. Almost. You should barely see any light between them and if it's really quiet you can do a hammer-on on the first fret (while also fretting between 2&3) and if you listen really close you will hear a very high pitched 'ting' sound. If it's too high you won't make it ting, if it's too low (and touching) it obviously also won't ting.

Ting is the goal.

If you don't get that right away don't worry, I hear things others don't..... (interpret that however you wish).

All good tips - but it I'll add it may simply be the neck has developed a slight back bow. A minor adjustment of the Truss rod can correct for that.

take it to a luthier.

I'll 2nd that. I just had a similar, problem. It was corrected by loosing the truss rod, ever so slightly.

Archived