Gibson Brands Forums

les paul voodoo

maioranoa

this is my 1st post here, I have had 3 les pauls in the last 25 years my first was a 78 black custom which my best friend has now the other 2 were a 2000 standard and a 2004 white custom, anyway I had to sell them to put my wife through nursing school , of all 3 I liked the standard the best, maybe it was the frets it just felt good , my ? is right now I cant afford the guitar i want but I found a voodoo les paul and I played it and I think if I put some 11s on it it may not be bad , its a little light but maybe the swamp ash body is just like that , were these any good or are they crap I am thinking its either this , a studio or a epiphone custom and I really want an american made guitar and I only really like gibsons especially les pauls, any help would be appreciated.thanks

Welcome, malranoa. The Voodoo LP isn't a popular guitar around here, probably because they had been discontinued around 2002 or so. I don't know of anyone here having a Voodoo LP, but I remember reading about one here on the forum months ago. I don't remember if it was good or bad. You can do a search here on the Forum to see if you can find it.

I have never played the Voodoo, but I know that Gibson has or had another Swamp Ash Les Paul that got decent reviews last year some time. I personally like the looks of the Voodoo in pictures, but having never played one, I couldn't give you a thumbs up or thumbs down. Try the Google search for LP Voodoo Reviews. They might be helpful. I hope you find the LP, Voodoo or other, that's rocks your world, maloranoa.

thanks guys, i have played it and it was ok , but the strings were 9's so they were to light i need 11's it was a little lighter than you'd expect from a les paul but its heavier than the epiphones , the positives are that it has an ebony fretboard that i like and its american made so the quality may be better than the epi's and I can get it for 999 $ with a gibson snakeskin case and its new i guess the store just got a hold of one that was never sold, they are gibson dealers so I don't know how they got it because they were discontinued a few years ago , anyway maybe I will go play it again and make sure i like it if not I will just wait a month or so and hunt down another standard, because i have a hard time buying them on ebay or from a online store because to me you can have 10 of the same lespauls in front of you and there will be 1 that is a little different and thats the one I would want . thanks for the help I will keep you posted on whatever I get

A pupil I had owned an SG Voodoo and I remember a few things distinctly about it.

1.The neck was very wide for an SG

2.It was very resonant (like an acoustic)and breathed a lot of vitality through any amp

3.The sustain was less than SG specials and standards I had tried.

4. the neck felt lovely...like playing a neck that felt 'real'

I hope that makes sense

Matt

Archived