Gibson Brands Forums

2019 J-45 Custom Walnut Honeyburst (GC exclusive)

MemphisWillcox

I just bought my first ever Gibson!! It is this J45 GC exclusive Walnut Custom. It has the most incredible back and sides I have ever seen!! It sounds amazing!!! Just worry about the price! I got it 15% off but it still was almost 3 thousand!! I don’t buy guitars often. This is only my second ever. I do mostly songwriting and recording. I do like to strum hard and pick. I am coming from a Ovation Legend. So this is definitely a huge step up!! I always wanted a Gibson just wondering if this extra cash is justified while compared to other Gibson acoustic models? I tried a J45 standard and a Humming and Taylor’s and Martins. This one just thrashed them all tone wise. Well this one did have a few swirlies in nitro from being played. It was only at GC for a week but still got a buckle scratch and ding on binding. But I get a guitar to play not look at. Just wanted to know what everyone thinks.

I looked at one today.

They had it for $2999.

If it hangs around, history tells me the GC exclusives do not have any MAP restrictions and they will start discounting it.

I like it, but I'm patient.

The local GC actually had 4 new Gibsons plus a nice used NL Mystic RW. Most Gibsons they've had over the past few years.

Yeah. My store only had 1 & It had this unusual beautiful grain pattern on the back and incredible tone. So I grabbed it the Wednesday before Black Friday even with the tiny blemishes! I am in Tennessee and that thing would be gone! Seems like each store only got 1. Does ur store have more than 1?

Yeah. My store only had 1 & It had this unusual beautiful grain pattern on the back and incredible tone. So I grabbed it the Wednesday before Black Friday even with the tiny blemishes! I am in Tennessee and that thing would be gone! Seems like each store only got 1. Does ur store have more than 1?

No, just one.

Pics, it was just a dream.

First off- congrats, and welcome to the forum. Try not to second guess too much- it might've cost more than a bread n' butter J-45. . . former Gibson Master Luthier Ren Ferguson once mentioned in an interview posted to YouTube the amount of time and detail work that goes into the inlay and ornamentation on some Gibsons drives much of the cost- just imagine how much this guitar would be if it was made with imported rosewood back & sides. 'Love the bound headstock on these (not often seen on Bozeman acoustics), and as Dave mentioned, the headstock of the walnut honeyburst J-45 rivals that of an L-5; not exactly an econobox.

The extra expense will be of little consequence as the years go by, and as this guitar becomes a big part of your sound. Thanks for rescuing it from the thrash rack of Guitar Center.

Gibson seems to really have the walnut-roundshoulder dialed in.

In 2014, out of curiosity about what a walnut-bodied roundshoulder would sound like, I couldn't resist the bargain price & purchased one of the earliest J-15s out of the factory. For some reason, it has the Custom Shop logo on the back of the headstock. Not sure why it's there, but it does have a beautiful top. And most importantly, I'm very drawn to the percussive, even tone from string to string. It's strikes me as being closer to maple than anything else.

Almost five years later, the positive reviews keep rolling in re Gibson's expanding line of walnut-bodied guitars.

Who knew walnut could consistently sound so darn good!

When they made the Jackson Browne model they got their walnut from England. I read that when the walnut tree has quit producing, the farmers just cut them down. Sounds like a good use for discarded timber.

Eat more walnuts!

Here’s a link to my fb page with pics of my new J45. I could not figure out how to attach a pic directly to my post on the forum. Hopefully the link will work. The back and sides are just something very special and unique! The two tone color of the wood and grain pattern in an upside down “V” on back is what got me!! I thought it was maple at first combined with the walnut, but it’s a all walnut back!!

Welcome to the boards, Memphis, and congrats on a top of the line instrument!

...I could not figure out how to attach a pic directly to my post on the forum.

You can make any facebook photo show up here. Just right-click on the photo, "copy link location," then back to this site, paste that into the "insert image" box that opens when you click on the "insert image" icon, which is one of those in the "ribbon" that runs across the top of the Post screen.

Hopefully the link will work.

It probably does, but I'm not on facebook, and I'm not into going there. So please copy from there and paste to here the url of the photos. I'd like to see this new guitar you got!

The back and sides are just something very special and unique! The two tone color of the wood and grain pattern in an upside down "V" on back is what got me!! I thought it was maple at first combined with the walnut, but it's a all walnut back!!

Walnut grain is often really distinctive! Glad you got a good one! Can't wait to see it!

My GC had the J45 Walnut and Nick Lucas locked up.

Yes mine was locked up also. The swirlies are probably from being polished at factory and at GC. The buckle scratch on back and binding nick are nothing big. Guitars get marked up. I just wanted to make all the marks on it!! Lol 😁👍

Fi

Welcome to the boards, Memphis, and congrats on a top of the line instrument!

You can make any facebook photo show up here. Just right-click on the photo, "copy link location," then back to this site, paste that into the "insert image" box that opens when you click on the "insert image" icon, which is one of those in the "ribbon" that runs across the top of the Post screen.

It probably does, but I'm not on facebook, and I'm not into going there. So please copy from there and paste to here the url of the photos. I'd like to see this new guitar you got!

Walnut grain is often really distinctive! Glad you got a good one! Can't wait to see it!

Finally figured out how to post pictures on here! I had to post each pic individual but I got all the cool detail pics on here

Pics, it was just a dream.

First off- congrats, and welcome to the forum. Try not to second guess too much- it might've cost more than a bread n' butter J-45. . . former Gibson Master Luthier Ren Ferguson once mentioned in an interview posted to YouTube the amount of time and detail work that goes into the inlay and ornamentation on some Gibsons drives much of the cost- just imagine how much this guitar would be if it was made with imported rosewood back & sides. 'Love the bound headstock on these (not often seen on Bozeman acoustics), and as Dave mentioned, the headstock of the walnut honeyburst J-45 rivals that of an L-5; not exactly an econobox.

The extra expense will be of little consequence as the years go by, and as this guitar becomes a big part of your sound. Thanks for rescuing it from the thrash rack of Guitar Center.

Thank u!! Yeah ur right! This tone is very unique!! Yeah the L5 is sick!! I posted pics finally! It's a PITA to post pics on this forum! lol The Flower Pot inlay on headstock is awesome!! Also the abalone stars are really nice!! I love how the pot part has a "M" looking mark. The Flower Pot has a few different looks. The L5 inlay is a little nicer and more detailed in my opinion. The Gibson site has a 2019 J45 custom with rosewood back and sides just like mine with Gold tuners and a very similar fret inlay with a crown headstock inlay. It is $3,549, but really I don't think I would want it if it was the same price. The look and sound of my Walnut is just amazing!!! I dont need gold tuners but the rosewood sound is just not for me. The walnut seems to have the best of both worlds of great tonewoods- Mahogany & Rosewood along with very balanced sound clear highs and thumping lows when needed!!

Finally figured out how to post pictures on here!

I would tend to agree. Well done. Once you get familiar with using the imgur photo hosting site, select the image you've just uploaded to imgur.com from "images", click on "BBCode" (which copies the url to your clipboard. Then, it's not even necessary to select the insert image button here, just paste into the reply field. But watch the size- one of the dimensions should be in the 600 pixel range. Throwing a picture here will soon be easier than typing 1000 words.

Enjoy the new guitar- someone's in for a fine weekend.

ps- that headstock is beautiful.

Archived