Gibson Brands Forums

Small Amps

Californiaman

A Pro Jr. How many watts is that, 15?

What type of wood you using in those cabinets? White Birch, Pine, Maple?

My 5E3 Fender '57 Deluxe, with the maple cabinet sounds like no other amp I have. It goes from Country Clean to Sweaty Hot Pig. With volume cranked up to about 8. I didn't need any pedals to get a serious vintage 70's rock tone out of it. And that was with my ES-175 with the '57 Humbuckers in it. It sound fat and thick, with lots of mid-range punch. I'm always changing my guitar volume which enables that softer clean up. When it's wide open though. I have to play it on the other side of the room to limit the feedback, but yeah I like that sound. Really responsive with a pick. Pick soft, cleans up nicely. Pick hard, lots of break up.

The 12-speaker no doubt had something to do with it. It's the blue alnico.

Do any of you daisy chain them together or use one for rhythm and one for lead? I use and HBE *****enswitchin' to go back and forth between the GA-5 and the Deluxe.

Whoops, the AI didn't like the name of that pedal. If you are familiar with HBE pedals, they're pretty good. If not you can look 'em up. HBE pedals are good. I think they went out of business though. I own a couple and they seem to do the job more than adequately.

I’m not BBP but the tweed cabs are traditionally pine and it looks like he used pine. I used pine for my two cab builds (there are many types of pine)

I don’t run two amps at a time but I often use my 5e3 with this other tube powered monstrosity. It’s a Weber revibe which combines the fender 6G15 Reverb with the tube harmonic tremolo. The trem sounds really swampy and awesome with the 5e3. The Reverb is classic plus it adds a little more gain to the front end of the 5e3 which sounds cool

ek6dm3M.jpg

tZCaSqY.jpg

A Pro Jr. How many watts is that, 15?

What type of wood you using in those cabinets? White Birch, Pine, Maple?

I'm not sure how many watts. It's converted to 6V6's and it's running 14 watt tubes, so it's probably 18-20 watts. Really loud. Pro Jr's have a really flat response, like a tweed pro and the 6V6's make it sound more Fendery that the EL84s. The cabinet is clear pine, which is more lively than other woods. I want to make one to use personally. Here's the amp -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0MPdHmrCVE

I have my Slash SL5 amp.. Its got a 5w / 1w switch so is good for playing in a small or big room. Ive even taken it to a jam and it was loud enough to keep up with the drums and other big amps.. Its also what I use at shows to show my guitars off and people generally like it... awesome little thing it is.

f02wkiR.jpg

I'm not sure how many watts. It's converted to 6V6's and it's running 14 watt tubes, so it's probably 18-20 watts. Really loud. Pro Jr's have a really flat response, like a tweed pro and the 6V6's make it sound more Fendery that the EL84s. The cabinet is clear pine, which is more lively than other woods. I want to make one to use personally. Here's the amp -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0MPdHmrCVE

For the 5e3 I used sugar pine which is the hardest type of pine. It was pretty expensive where I found it.

For the revibe I used pine from Home Depot. Really hard to find a straight piece of pine at Home Depot, really hard to dovetail a piece of wood that ain’t straight. I have access to a lot of alder from work so I may try that next time. The 5e3 cab sounds amazing, couldn’t be happier

What do you use for the baffle? I used 1/2” void free Baltic birch. Apparently fender used particle board. Maybe I should try particle board?

What do you use for the baffle? I used 1/2” void free Baltic birch. Apparently fender used particle board. Maybe I should try particle board?

The Pro Jr. cab shell was made from New Zealand pine. Nice and stable and the finger joints come out as good as I can get them. Lowes has it.

I use baltic birch too for baffles. 1/2" is good. It's like 9 ply. I used to be able to get it locally but now I order it from Woodcraft or somewhere like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Love those wood cabs...

Wood cabs are cool.

If I could throw together some flame or quilted maple cabinets I would.

I'd certainly try for dove-tail joints. I'd also use hard-rock maple for the baffles.

Anyway,

love my small amps.

I played through the 5E3 the other day and my daughter just about flipped out as to how versatile the amp is.

I took that amp from 1-12 and hit the strings soft and hard and my kid thought it was one of the coolest amps she's ever heard.

Wood cabs are cool.

If I could throw together some flame or quilted maple cabinets I would.

I'd certainly try for dove-tail joints. I'd also use hard-rock maple for the baffles.

Anyway,

love my small amps.

I played through the 5E3 the other day and my daughter just about flipped out as to how versatile the amp is.

I took that amp from 1-12 and hit the strings soft and hard and my kid thought it was one of the coolest amps she's ever heard.

That’s awesome. I have all the tools to do more dovetailed cabinets if you ever need any help with that.

As I was building my pine cabs, I was thinking of how cool other woods could look. One of my ideas I’d like to try is a head cab with cherry stained mahogany top, bottom, and sides, and a sunburst maple front panel. Would look like a Les Paul-ified amp.

Archived