Gibson Brands Forums

Who has a Blueshawk and tell me your thoughts please?

bigtim

I remember a band I was in one night and we were at a gig. The other guitar players amp just was not putting out enough to be heard in the place. I told him to mic the amp through the PA system. He looked at me funny and said, you cannot do that can you? I said sure. He thought I was crazy but he tried it and everything worked out ok. I guess he thought PA systems were just for vocals too. It makes a big difference when you do that. Although nothing beats those old amps cranking up so out and the tubes are being driven like crazy to get that tone too you know.

Yes, the magic starts to happen on those old Marshall stacks around 3/4 volume and tubes start cooking and the birch cabinets start to sing. There is no sound like it and when you mic it, the sound is unforgettable.

Edited by mihcmac

I can’t get over the body to neck ratio...

Here is a picture of anyone over 5’1” playing one...

67-D911-C0-D51-B-4-E2-E-8-E37-EE32987-AD281.jpg

So I'm joking and ridiculing the BluesHawk....

I'm meeting someone tonight about a possible trade for a trans black Epiphone...

I'm going to look like Leslie West playing a Ukelele...

Monkey humping a tennis ball...

What other analogies can you think of?

• Like 1

So I'm joking and ridiculing the BluesHawk....

I'm meeting someone tonight about a possible trade for a trans black Epiphone...

I'm going to look like Leslie West playing a Ukelele...

Monkey humping a tennis ball...

What other analogies can you think of?

Well its about the same overall length as a LP, the SG overall is a bit longer, however the longer 25 1/2" scale Blueshawk neck will be more like your Fenders...

The Epi Blueshawk Deluxe high gloss trans black is quite striking..

tfntuoyumkjqv4bdabtj.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

• 1 month later...

I am really into P-90's. The BluesHawk I think is the ultimate P-90 guitar aided by the vast selection of tones via the Varitone switch..

The Gibson BluesHawk using the Blues 90 pickups is an excellent tone machine, while there are a few things in the finish that could have been done better, the weight and playability are excellent. The Blues 90 pickups are a little noisier than I would have liked, but are able to provide usable high quality blues and metal tones.

The Epiphone Blueshawk being a 95% replica is a joy to play and fit an finish is very good. The P-90 Pro pickups sound the way you would expect P-90's to sound, so in that case its an exceptional screamer. The polyurethane finish is not bad and will never finish check. The Epi phantom pickup hum cancelling seems to work a little better.

My BluesHawk/Blueshawk are my favorites in my herd. After having them for a few years now, I could not do without either one.. I do tend to favor the Epi because of its more traditional P-90 sound.

EXDCmyN.jpg

Original BluesHawk Cases are very difficult to find, you got lucky. The Les Paul Chainsaw case below overall fit is pretty good. Currently they recommend an SG case, but I don't like the loose fit.

JERWz17.jpg

I also found that the standard Les Paul case works pretty well, even though the contours are different, it holds the BluesHawk pretty well..

Hi! I recently bought an Epi Blueshawk and although I'm a Gibson guy, I loved the flame maple top and bound neck on the Epi version, and the price was so good I couldn't pass it up. Now it's all I want to play! That P-90 sound is amazing. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the chrome tailpiece. Is there a chance you could compare your Gibson and Epi Hawks and tell me if the tailpieces are interchangeable? The brass would be beautiful against the red finish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of things I like about my Blues Hawk. First.. the weight. If you have ever played back to back to back gigs, you long for something that will not break your back... Even my old American Strat can wear you out. So the Hawk is really comfortable. Second are the p90's. I love the brighter tone... I know I am in the minority, but sometimes I feel as though my humbucker guitars are tone limited. The Hawk gives me so many options! Different gigs in different rooms just make your rig sound different... So, I can really find nice options with the Hawk, without turning to the pedal board. Lastly, I love the neck... it's fast, comfortable and my Hawk stays in tune nicely. Those are the things that really appeal to me. It did take me a while to find a Blues Hawk that I liked... but once I did...I just love the guitar. I wonder why Gibson does not re-introduce this model again. Perhaps it won't break the bank. OH..and if your looking for a good Hard case, Sweetwater has an Epiphone Case made for the Epiphone Blues Hawk...it's really nice and costs around $100. A good deal. Plus, if your at a gig... some low life who is looking to pick up a guitar for free, might pass up on an Epiphone guitar case rather than snatching a Gibson Custom case... HA ...[/font][/size][/size]

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The Blueshawk is a great little guitar - it takes a bit of getting used to, but has great tone, good power and is very versatile.  WIth a simple pedal board (reverb, bluesdriver) there is not Mach that it cannot take on.  The neck is particularly great f your transfer from acoustic to electric and it is at its best doing what it says; the blues...  Look out for the photo of BB playing one, then tell me it looks silly...

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 2:48 PM, Bob2.0 said:

Hi! I recently bought an Epi Blueshawk and although I'm a Gibson guy, I loved the flame maple top and bound neck on the Epi version, and the price was so good I couldn't pass it up. Now it's all I want to play! That P-90 sound is amazing. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the chrome tailpiece. Is there a chance you could compare your Gibson and Epi Hawks and tell me if the tailpieces are interchangeable? The brass would be beautiful against the red finish.

The Gibson and Epiphone bridges are different, the Gibson is made out of a thinner but stronger metal.

CmCyDBr.jpg 

The Epiphone is nickel plated, thicker and has a slightly different mounting hole pattern.

LWzhX2U.jpg

Also notice that the spring on the low E sting saddle is fully compressed. I removed my bridge and moved it an 1/8" farther back, so I have more space for intonation adjustment.

On 2/28/2019 at 11:21 PM, tonyinwood said:

There are a lot of things I like about my Blues Hawk. First.. the weight. If you have ever played back to back to back gigs, you long for something that will not break your back... Even my old American Strat can wear you out. So the Hawk is really comfortable. Second are the p90's. I love the brighter tone... I know I am in the minority, but sometimes I feel as though my humbucker guitars are tone limited. The Hawk gives me so many options! Different gigs in different rooms just make your rig sound different... So, I can really find nice options with the Hawk, without turning to the pedal board. Lastly, I love the neck... it's fast, comfortable and my Hawk stays in tune nicely. Those are the things that really appeal to me. It did take me a while to find a Blues Hawk that I liked... but once I did...I just love the guitar. I wonder why Gibson does not re-introduce this model again. Perhaps it won't break the bank. OH..and if your looking for a good Hard case, Sweetwater has an Epiphone Case made for the Epiphone Blues Hawk...it's really nice and costs around $100. A good deal. Plus, if your at a gig... some low life who is looking to pick up a guitar for free, might pass up on an Epiphone guitar case rather than snatching a Gibson Custom case... HA ...[/font][/size][/size]

The most common upgrade to the Gibson BluesHawk is to replace the Blues 90 pickups with the more powerful standard Gibson P90's..

The Gibson BluesHawks originally came with their own designed case, both  are currently designated to use the Gibson or Epiphone SG case, the Gibson case fits a little more snug and may hold it better..

The top image is the Epi and the bottom the Gibson, very similar wiring and components, only main difference is the rotary switch..

LZ1pXCS.jpg

The Epiphone Blueshawk comes with Epiphone's most powerful P90 PRO's, sounding like the 50's right out of the box. I have found them to be extremely versatile for any music genre, mine is mostly some kind of metal.. 

19 hours ago, Blueshawk Phil said:

The Blueshawk is a great little guitar - it takes a bit of getting used to, but has great tone, good power and is very versatile.  WIth a simple pedal board (reverb, bluesdriver) there is not Mach that it cannot take on.  The neck is particularly great f your transfer from acoustic to electric and it is at its best doing what it says; the blues...  Look out for the photo of BB playing one, then tell me it looks silly...

My Epiphone Blueshawk is by far is my favorite, partly because of the 25.5" scale neck, but the tones it can create are un real... I do use a bit of overdrives, but OD drive is set lower at about half what you would use with humbuckings..

The Epiphone Blueshawk replicates the Gibson at probably 95%, there are minor differences, the main one being the hot P90 Pro's and the hum cancelling has been improved.

This is the only thing I have seen of a Hawk being played by BB but its a "Gibson Little Lucille"... Epiphone hasn't produced one...

big_s-l1600.jpg&key=8525cad2d36cdbb766eb

My Epi with a few mods....

w0HeGiF.jpg

I wish Gibson would reintroduce the BluesHawk, but the Epi is a guitar to be reckoned with... 

I have posted my thoughts about them in several different locations on this site..

I love my SG's, LP's, Tele, Explorer etc they are all P90 powered, they all each have something unique to offer... But the weight, design, comfort, neck access and the Tone..  I can't sop playing it.........

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought my Blueshawk and my Nighthawk completely by accident. I bought a Fender Blues Junior off Facebook Marketplace and traveled to the bloke's house to pick it up. He had a Nighthawk there and he let me use it to test the amp out. I was smitten immediately both by the amp and the guitar so when I got home, I had a hunt around for one of my own. Ended up with a '93 Nighthawk of my own. A bit beaten up and well used by still lovely nonetheless. As part of posting my find here, I then stumbled across the Nighthawk's stablemate, the Blueshawk and I figured I needed one of those as well. A search on Reverb later and I found a beautifully intact example from a seller in Germany.

I absolutely love it - it screams through my tube amps more so than my other Gibsons or Fenders do; there is something unique about the sound. Every so often, there comes a day when the amp, the guitar and my playing just seem to 'click' and everything sounds great. More often than not, that happens when I am playing the Blueshawk. I love it, it is absolutely right up there as one of my favourite guitars.

• Like 3