Gibson Brands Forums

335 custom shops do not seem to hold value

bigtim

I have noticed a few custom shop 335 guitars do not hold value. They sell upwards of 4000.00 bucks and I have saw a some recently that go for between 1200 to 1500. Why is that?

Who pays List Price for Guitars? 15-20% discounts or more is the rule of thumb for me & most of the guys I know..

Also, I'm curious where the $1200 - $1500 Gibson Custom Shop ES335's are?

There have been a few for sale here locally that went for less than 1800 recently. Here is a Memphis 339 for 1575.00 right now and it is a great looking one too if your interested

nashville.craigslist.org/msg/d/2007-gibson-es-339-memphis/6762436259.html

I also have saw several by searching on eBay by what has sold. I guess they are not as popular as the les Paul's maybe? I am not sure though.

Who pays List Price for Guitars? 15-20% discounts or more is the rule of thumb for me & most of the guys I know..

Also, I'm curious where the $1200 - $1500 Gibson Custom Shop ES335's are?

Just looking on the GC used listings, CS ES-339s do go cheap (like the one in the provided CL listing. Here is one for $1600:

Used CS ES-339

HOWEVER ... their only one Custom Shop ES-335 is much more expensive (over 2.5 times that).

Used CS ES-335

So ... maybe it is the 335s that hold their value, and not the other models? How much did the CS ES-339 originally sell for?

339's don't hold their value like 335's.. At least not at this point in time....

Generally 335's, 345's & 355's hold their value quite well. I wish I still had the the 1959 ES345 I paid a couple hundred Bucks for many year ago.. I sold it in the 90's for $8000.00. It was mint. It would be valued at least twice that now in the same condition. Maybe more..

A 335 is a 335 whether it comes from the Custom Shop or not. Same construction, same size, same tone. The Custom Shop ones will have more bling on the headstock, maybe some gold hardware etc. but it's basically the same guitar. I would guess in the used market the extra's that someone was willing to pay extra for don't hold the value that originally got the premium price.

dont feel bad... I bought a D45 Martin a few years ago.. 7500 bucks... today they sell for just over 12 Cdn Now. Id be lucky to see 4500 to 5.and Ive never played it.. it sits in its case.. . so its all guitars in general that folks pay high for and get no return for a long time..

so if anyone that says investment grade when there selling.. there just blowing smoke up your A*^s at that time.

I'd still like to see all these $1200 - $1500 Gibson ES335's?

I don't think they are there. There are CS ES-339s for $1600, though. But, evidently these guitars sold initially for $1400 (or so) ... hence, these guitars are affordable, are much cheaper than a 335, and are also holding their value.

I don't think they are there. There are CS ES-339s for $1600, though. But, evidently these guitars sold initially for $1400 (or so) ... hence, these guitars are affordable, are much cheaper than a 335, and are also holding their value.

I sure can't find any... I'd love to.. I'd buy 1 or 2 nice ones..

No offense to those who own 339's but they aren't 335's...

Well they look the same to me on the 335 vs 339 model however I still have noticed some selling for less than 1800 bucks too. I am not trying to get any ones drawers all wadded up, I was just noticing some used pricing here lately from my own research.

Well they look the same to me on the 335 vs 339 model however I still have noticed some selling for less than 1800 bucks too. I am not trying to get any ones drawers all wadded up, I was just noticing some used pricing here lately from my own research.

You can't judge a Guitar by looks alone. I have yet to see, play or hear a 339 that is comparable to a 335. Even the quality on most of the ones I've seen or played wasn't comparable. IMO it's like comparing Apples & Oranges.

I love the ES Les Paul's but 339's not so much... I agree the 339's are only worth about $1200-$1500 Max.

Yeah, PM me too if you find a 335 like Elbach posted...

You can't judge a Guitar by looks alone. I have yet to see, play or hear a 339 that is comparable to a 335. Even the quality on most of the ones I've seen or played wasn't comparable. IMO it's like comparing Apples & Oranges.

I love the ES Les Paul's but 339's not so much... I agree the 339's are only worth about $1200-$1500 Max.

Yeah, PM me too if you find a 335 like Elbach posted...

i love the ES339, but they are different from a ES335, but for me they work , they have smaller body i just cant handle the 335 body

i love the ES339, but they are different from a ES335, but for me they work , they have smaller body i just cant handle the 335 body

The OP's Thread isn't about 339's... It's about 335's... Some of us are wanting to see where he's seeing these cheap Custom Shop ES- 335's... Not 339's...

If you go back and re read the very first opening sentence of this thread you will see that I wrote this; "Some custom shop 335 guitars do not seem to hold their value."

But some of you are reading is this;

"ALL OF THE 335 CUSTOM SHOPS DO NOT SEEM TO HOLD THEIR VALUE."

That is not what I wrote but that is what some of you are seeing.

Please take your time and re read what I wrote in the original post..

This one ended for 1540.00 bucks a few minutes ago at noon central time on the big auction site

https://www.ebay.com...5.m43663.l10137

Here is another one that sold for 1525 bucks too

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-ES335-6-String-DOT-Humbuckers-Great-Condition-Gibson-Case-Sweet-/382618077614?hash=item5915d089ae%3Ag%3AahIAAOSwe%7Elb3hUR&nma=true&si=aCDvh3gHzgMAMH7OtScQKINWP7Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was not trying to insult anyone or make anyone mad.

But some of you are so fast to the reply button that I think those are seeing something like this;

" EVERY ONE OF THOSE DAMN STUPID A $ $ GIBSON 335 MEMPHIS CUSTOM SHOP GUITARS ARE CHEAP AND SUCK TOO AND YOUR STUPID FOR BUYING ONE TOO msp_flapper.gif YOU BIG DUMMY!"

But that is how some of you are comprehending what I wrote.

The OP's Thread isn't about 339's... It's about 335's... Some of us are wanting to see where he's seeing these 335's... Not 339's...

Tim,

I've looked at the two links that you've provided and I think there are points on each that effect the value. The fist one says "It has had some neck work done" and the second one looks to me like one of the satin finished 335's and if that is the case it's a lower priced instrument when it was new.

Regards,

Ian

I see that on the neck one now too. understand the neck work but there is another one that looked just fine too for 1525

Is it still a custom shop though when it is satin?

Tim,

I've looked at the two links that you've provided and I think there are points on each that effect the value. The fist one says "It has had some neck work done" and the second one looks to me like one of the satin finished 335's and if that is the case it's a lower priced instrument when it was new.

Regards,

Ian

If you go back and re read the very first opening sentence of this thread you will see that I wrote this; "Some custom shop 335 guitars do not seem to hold their value."

But some of you are reading is this;

"ALL OF THE 335 CUSTOM SHOPS DO NOT SEEM TO HOLD THEIR VALUE."

That is not what I wrote but that is what some of you are seeing.

Please take your time and re read what I wrote in the original post..

This one ended for 1540.00 bucks a few minutes ago at noon central time on the big auction site

https://www.ebay.com...5.m43663.l10137

Here is another one that sold for 1525 bucks too

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-ES335-6-String-DOT-Humbuckers-Great-Condition-Gibson-Case-Sweet-/382618077614?hash=item5915d089ae%3Ag%3AahIAAOSwe%7Elb3hUR&nma=true&si=aCDvh3gHzgMAMH7OtScQKINWP7Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was not trying to insult anyone or make anyone mad.

But some of you are so fast to the reply button that I think those are seeing something like this;

" EVERY ONE OF THOSE DAMN STUPID A $ $ GIBSON 335 MEMPHIS CUSTOM SHOP GUITARS ARE CHEAP AND SUCK TOO AND YOUR STUPID FOR BUYING ONE TOO msp_flapper.gif YOU BIG DUMMY!"

But that is how some of you are comprehending what I wrote.

This is what the OP wrote.

"I have noticed a few custom shop 335 guitars do not hold value. They sell upwards of 4000.00 bucks and I have saw a some recently that go for between 1200 to 1500. Why is that?"

Doesn't say 339's or anything but CS 335's......

The ones you site are Left Handed, Seconds, Blems or repaired damaged Guitars.... You're right they don't as high Resale value to most Buyers....

Archived