Gibson Brands Forums

Of all the ones that have gone before, which do you miss the most?

Jinder

Here's a poser for everyone...of all the guitars you've owned in the past, which one do you miss the most?

I think my '97 'Early' J45 is the one I have parted with that I think about most often...what a wonderful machine it was.

Special mention should also go to my amazing '68 B15, quite a revelation to own an all-Hog, ladder braced, adj. bridge parlour guitar that played so well and sounded so good. If anyone us looking for one (or any other cool vintage Gibbys), the guy I sold mine to has an interesting website at www.glennsguitars.com.

So, over to you-what beauties do you still pine for?

My first "good" guitar was a Gibson C-0 classical that I sold to get money for my current guitar, my Gibson F-25. The classical wasn't such a great guitar but my now deceased little brother learned on it on his way to a fairly well known career in folk music and that guitar would serve as something of a memory of him.

For me it would be the 1960 somthing VOX 12 string I had. Can't tell you what the wood was (or even if it was laminate or solid.) Possibly all hog as I remember it being a dark wood all around. I just remember taking that thing anywhere and everywhere in an old chip board case. This included a summer long trip to Colombia South America in 1978 just before my senior year in high school. I went as an AFS student for the summer and that baby made it there and back fully tuned up and with nothing but the cheap case to protect it. I traded it to a guy in college for a SG copy electric guitar so I could play in a college rock band. =D>

The VOX weighed a ton and looked as if it had a 2 x 4 bolted from the inside of the body to the neck but it was a very sweet sounding 12'r.

A 1960 Gibson LG-2 is the guitar I miss most. I bought third-hand in 1985 from a guy who got it as a present from his folks when they thought he was going to die in the mid-60s. It was my first good acoustic guitar, and over the next few years I wrote a bunch of songs on it and played it on lots of home recordings. When I started playing solo gigs, it was my main instrument. In hindsight, replacing it with a cutaway Guild was a step backwards. I still played it lots at home, though - but in a boneheaded move, I let it go. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

My J-45 fills most of that void, but I still miss the ripping sheet-metal roar that little guitar made when you really leaned into it. It could be sweet, it could be bluesy, it could go Celtic - but oh, when it snarled it was just divine. The ultimate punk acoustic guitar.

Michelle - my 1984 Fender American Strat - the bridge on this thing was a PIA to change strings on it - stupid design - and I know the mid-80s fender products get their fair share of bad raps, but this was my first good guitar and I played a ton of stuff on it - good memories. Sold it in college because I needed the cash.

other than that... nope.

I briefly owned an Epi SST Studio, solid body acoustic. I bought it for doing my occasional gigs. Shortly afterwards I bought my SWD and that's all I use now for 6 string.

The SST Studio is an incredible guitar and amazing value. It's not a Chet Atkins but mighty close. Sustained for England. Sold it on ebay soon after getting the Gibson but do miss it.

My 1972 Les Paul Recording I bought around 1980/81 in Tempe/Mesa AZ. Gigged all over the Valley, then to Lake Charles La., then to Illinois.

14 years wore the finish and the frets off it. I was twisted up in a few financial deals, and swapped it for a new Strat with $100.00.

I didn't know anybody around here for a fretjob, had just moved up here, and really didn't have the cash. Pisspoor excuses now, looking back.

I miss the old girl. That was a zillion bar gigs.

Murph.

I had a 1960s Guild classical with the original case - it was a Mark I if I remember correctly, and it was a great guitar for practicing and writing. It had been a gift from someone who became a bad memory, so I sold it when things went sour. Mistake. I forgot about the person long ago, but I still remember the guitar.

well there was a little blonde called Sarah........................................................

AN Ibanez Lee Ritenour 335 Clone, very basic , great neck every bit equal to my 335.

Washburn Chet Atkins copy nylon strung

Ovation Glen Campbell 12 string.

Oh and did I mention a little blonde called Sarah........................................................

A 90's Gibson Gospel that I sold to finance the purchase of a 000 Martin that I ended up keeping less than a year. That Gospel had a great booming sound and had a very playable neck. That's one I definitely wish I had a do-over on.

My GIbby CF-100e - It was the perfect guitar for me but I listened to people telling me it didn't sound like an acoustic ..... I should have listened to the guitar - It may not have sounded like an acoustic but it sure sounded terrific

Of all of the guitars that have passed through my hands over the decades, I miss only two. The first was a circa 1929 al-mahogany L-0 that I sold to Eric Schoenberg. I sold it for a modest sum, but the same sum that I had arranged to pay for a circa 1930 L-1. AFAIK, it’s the only L-1 ever discovered with an original, raised pickguard.

The second was a 1935 L-7, which I sold to fund a circa 1929 Nick Lucas. The Nick is amazing.

Still, I miss both of those guitars.

The current herd, ranging from a 1927 L-1 through a 1943 SJ is nice. But, sigh, would be even better with the missing, two guitars.

2634012590033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived