Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Montana gossip

Hogeye

Love a Martin, and do no understand why they do anything other than natural tops. A D-28 or D-18 just does not look right in an Ambertone. I guess if your Johnny Cash you have to have your D-35 all black.

This is my Martin CS00 in Adi/Koa. Love the burst on it.

00-28-Koa_1_zpswtz7cck2.jpg

And I'm wheelin' and dealin' for this Bourgeois to be my next guitar:

crfi4fgbt1l4zcd5bmeu_zps4a20ccuv.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The J-45 'burst is absolutely iconic.If you look at the Martin and others I think that where they miss the mark is by allowing too much brown to show through the upper bout. Gibson reserves that colour for the lower one to a larger degree.Of course everything is relative and opinions are just that.The 'burst certainly separates Gibson from Martin as a quick reference point.

I SO agree. Martins should not be trying bursts, and Jguy's demonstrates why, IMO.

I used to feel the exact same way. But, I changed my mind. I quite like the 1833 burst now and I have a 00018 in Ambertone which is also very nice. It goes without saying that the tone and playability of the Martins are outstanding as well. So, buy what you like and don't buy what you don't. Pretty simple. Maybe you should look at one of those Lime green J45's they're building these days. Could be perfect for you!

I SO agree. Martins should not be trying bursts, and Jguy's demonstrates why, IMO.

I would generally agree, but used to own a Martin with a fuller-bodied amberburst that was quite nice. One of my favorite bursts is the light & full-bodied amberburst Guild frequently used in the '70s.

Yes, and here's mine that was shot to my spec. I guess you could say it's brown and more brown.

casewithguitar.jpg

Interesting. I like both 'bursts. The one on my L-OO Legend is darker than most, more like JG's.

The pickguards and soundhole rosettes on those two versions are quite different from each other.

I used to feel the exact same way. But, I changed my mind....

I can understand that. I was no fan of the Songwriter/SJ mustache bridge. But it grew on me. Now I think my Songwriter 12 is simply awesome. These things happen. msp_thumbup.gif

Interesting. I like both 'bursts. The one on my L-OO Legend is darker than most, more like JG's.

The pickguards and soundhole rosettes on those two versions are quite different from each other.

Mine is the 2012 reproduction of the 1938 SJ200 that was first in production (37-38) after the design created for Ray Whitely in 1937. Twelve ring rosette, pickguard with an etched design and border line, seven band binding, Gibson L5 shaped headstock with gold Imperials.

Mine is the 2012 reproduction of the 1938 SJ200 that was first in production (37-38) after the design created for Ray Whitely in 1937. Twelve ring rosette, pickguard with an etched design and border line, seven band binding, Gibson L5 shaped headstock with gold Imperials.

Nice specs. Those Imperials are serious bling!

• 3 weeks later...

Glad for the correction on my post. Epi's are a part of Gibson. Think of them as the same. Gibson Montana actually made many Epi's in Bozeman so I just naturally consider them as the very same family.

The price for 1994 shows them listed as

Excellente: Rosewood sides and back Sitka spruce top $2,500.00 With case

Frontier: Maple sides and back Sitka top $1,799.00 With case

Texan: Arched mahogany back and sides Spruce top $$1099.00 With case

I managed to save some of the pick guards if anyone is interested.

do you have a pick guard for a 1994 Gibson J-100 Extra?

rw

Hopefully he passed on the torch. I think the Gibson bursts are what drew me to the brand.

A few years ago I stepped down from my position with the agreement to train a few young engineers to take over while I back off and step into a mentoring role.

It has been a real pleasure working with the younger generation and I have great expectations for them.

I've never met Van but wish him the best, and thanks for all the burst and may Gibson continue to make one of the best guitars in the world.

Did he do the 1894-1994 Gibson J-100 Extra 100 Anniversary Guitars? I was lucky and just found one.

gibson_j100_IMG_2500.png

Archived