Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning and Set up. Need help

JF

Hey guys,

This is the 10th time i register into some gibson forum i really dont know how often do foruns disappear and reappear with different names..

anyway, i have my LP for two years now, its an ebony standard 50s neck, and recently its been giving me the type of problems i usually had on my 200€ squier: tuning.

It all began a few months ago, maybe with the winter, it starded going out of tune like crazy, specially the G string that doesn't keep in tune for more than two, maybe three bends. All the other strings remain in tune quite reasonably but not as well as they used to. My strings aren't new, but their also not old enough to give me this type of problems (earnie ball 09's).

I was wondering if this could be related to the low temps, although i keep it always inside the case, the room is actually very cold (I heard this could be a problem...)

My question is, do you think its time for me to spend 200€ on a full setup of the guitar? I really appreciate your advice!

Thanks in advance

JF

Thanks a lot guys. Ill just wait for my exams to finish and thell ill try to fix the problem. Ill probably start with putting some carbon leds on the nut. If it continues to act funny, then ill give the trust rod a quarter turn. Ill probably need some help with that, I never did that before and i usually get nervous in what concers my gibson's neck! Lol. Ill also upload some pics asap!

Youve all been very helpful, thanks lots!

Hi and welcome (for the 10th time :-) ) I've had my ID dissapear before to but not that many times.

What you are experiening is SOP for gibson guitars. I'm suprised you haven't run into before this. Sounds like the G string is getting cought up by an not quite correctly cut nut that comes standard of most all Gibson guitars. Run some pencil graphite in the nut groove and see if that doesn't improve the situation. I run it in all the grooves on my guitar, just cuz. Hope that helps and, since this you 10th time here you know it's manditiory to post pix of your beauty, right?

Your description of the problem sounds like the string gets stuck in the nut slot. You can simply try this by depressing the particular string on the headstock side of the nut and see if and when it goes back into tune. If it doesn´t or takes rather long, the slot may need to be filed out a bit wider. If that is the problem it can be fixed by any good guitar shop or luthier. And it shouldn´t cost more than 5.- to 10.- Euros. Some shops don´t charge you at all when you bought the guitar there.

That problem doesn´t sound like it could be solved with a setup.

Anyway, good advice for a setup can be found here http://everythingsg.com/setup.htm

Greetings

Kurt

Is it only when you bend that it goes out of tune, or at regular playing aswell? (chording etc.) Does it go sharp or flat?

EDIT: As it have been fine for about 1.5 years, and THEN started to go outta tune, I personally think the truss rod just needs a quarter turn. I had the exactly same problem with my R8, and I live Sweden, so yes, I have VERY cold winter climat aswell =D>

Archived