Gibson Brands Forums

Springsteen on Broadway

blindboygrunt

Actually, you're uninformed and incorrect claim about the Dixie Chicks wasn't. At least until now. Happy to clear up your misconception for you. The validity of your argument is nonexistent when the facts don't support it. It stops being an argument and just becomes hot air.

I will, however, agree with you that in some cases, politics are best kept to one's self where entertainers are concerned. An example: as a concert promoter, I'm involved in bringing a Russian band to the U.S. next month for their first ever tour. They are a Chicago (the band) tribute act that's tearing up the internet lately. Everyone knows that social media is a powerful marketing tool and this band is no exception. As a matter of fact, it's how I found out about them in the first place. I noticed on their Twitter feed last week that whoever administers it had posted a comment pertaining to issues in the Catholic Church having to do with priests' behavior. I logged in and replied that I thought that this was a topic that was best left alone since their purpose online as the tour approached was to create goodwill and interest in the band's first ever U.S. performances. I reinforced that with a call to their manager and the post was removed. So, yeah, sometimes it's risky. But, not so much with a well-established act whose art has always been political. To take umbrage or be surprised at someone like Springsteen making a political comment is to admit you weren't paying attention, to begin with.

For those here who may not know him--he hasn't been around much recently--jannusguy is a well-known concert promoter, and knows that side of the business inside and out.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those here who may not know him--he hasn't been around much recently--jannusguy is a well-known concert promoter, and knows that side of the business inside and out.

Not that well known, Nick. I like it like that.

Prolly would have remained quiet but the declaration about the career of the Dixie Chicks being "wiped out" stunk so of B.S. I felt I'd share a few facts to freshen up the air. So I did.

It's my new thing for the era we live in. The Modern Age of Mendacity that is 2018/19. Calling out abject bullsh*t when you see it.

Carry on and Happy Holidays and New Year to all.

We all know who the musician are who like to express their political opinions. Can they do it - Yes, do I like to hear it - No. I don't go to their shows or listen to their stuff where they do that.

I'm in the "Shut Up And Play" group as well.

I can't stomach Springsteen anymore, wouldn't walk across the street to see him. His bank account is doing okay without me.

Any fan of Springsteen needs to hear this latest album of his one man shownon Broadway. Or indeed any fan of music

Fantastic stuff.

AND his pickup sounds like rubbish. But it doesn’t matter one iota

Thanks for posting that, watched the Netflix show....

Superb on all fronts! (fairly long in these days of short attention spans, but I watched it all. Better Half konked it just before Pattie sang....)

Pickups were quacky like you said, all the way through....a bit peculiar, he must be down to his last coins. Cut backs.... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Actually, you're uninformed and incorrect claim about the Dixie Chicks wasn't. At least until now. Happy to clear up your misconception for you. The validity of your argument is nonexistent when the facts don't support it. It stops being an argument and just becomes hot air.

I guess my post on page 2 (#31) pointing out various measures of the Dixie Chicks' commercial and artistic successes in the wake of Maines' comments about Bush didn't count?

During the Netflix special, Springsteen played a very soulful rendition of born in the USA on a 12 string tuned to open D with a slide, and with the 3rd string set removed. Never seen that configuration before.

Not a new idea, Scriv - it is hard to get 2 skinny g strings in tune so a lot of people leave one out. John Butler takes it a step further with a scroll carved in the wood where the tuing machine is removed as well!

BluesKing777.

I've never really been a big Springteen fan, so haven't been paying attention to this thread. But I have to reply to to the comments about it not being appropriate for musicians to mix their craft with politics. WHAT? Protest and politics were pretty much the bedrock for the founding mothers and fathers of folk music and rock and roll. If I were to weigh in on the state of situation today, I would say we need more politics in our music today. WAY MORE. Shine a bright light on what is going down. Please join me in the Fish Cheer...

Don't get me wrong, it's not something that is exclusively the fault of liberals. I don't want to hear it from Nugent or Charlie Daniels, either, when they are on stage. What they say in articles and interviews is their business. I can't imagine someone, in this day & time, who doesn't have a political opinion. However, an entertainer is well advised to ask himself, "Who is my customer and how do I serve him?"

Yes, that is exactly the question an "entertainer" asks himself.

Artists ask themselves other questions, which are meant to serve their own artistic vision in some way. Springsteen's politics are, and have been, imbued into his songwriting for decades. His songs pose questions which may challenge or disturb his audience. So be it.

A bit disappointed after having watched this one through last night. "My Father's House" / "The Wish" section drug a bit. Most of it was brilliant, of course. I would have loved to catch the live show and I'm thinking the video of the performance doesn't translate ... just as live concert footage has never given the true feel of a Bruce show.

Archived