Gibson Brands Forums

Cure for GAS?

jjrpilot

Well, for the first time in years, I can say that I'm really content guitar wise. My first quality guitar was a brand new Taylor GS8e. It was great but the 1 3/4" nut width hurt my hand...it was just a smidgen wide.

During the years I owned it, my taste in tone changed. I wanted something dark. Naturally, I figured a Martin would solve that. I sold the Taylor and used that money plus some to buy a Martin OMJM. I loved all the specs minus the signature etc. Oh well. It was still brighter to my ears. After a few years, I ran across Taylors new 300 series with Mahogany top and Blackwood back and sides. It was the darkest sounding Taylor I ever heard and I ended up grabbing it new in 2016. It's a weird combination of brighter yet dark. It's hard to explain. The first time I brought it home, I played it for my wife with her eyes closed and she thought it was my Martin.

The Martin just didn't light a fire and so early this year, I sold it, and finally purchased a Gibson J45 Standard.

Don't hate me, but after 18 years I finally decided to give Gibsons a chance. Why did it take that long you ask? Because in my STUPID, young mind, I didn't like Sunburst finishes...and I equated Gibsons to Sunbursts. Yup that's it. That's why I never tried one.

Well thank goodness we all grow up right? I'm not sure what happened but I LOVE Sunburst finishes now and Gibson is the KING of Sunburst if you ask me.

It was love at first strum. The J45 Standard finally gave me what I had been looking for..........for all those years. Looking back, I'm kind of glad I went full circle...I know now what I love and this J45 scratches that itch every time I play it.

It's silly how one guitar can basically cure GAS. How does it cure GAS you ask? Since this J45 gives me the tone I love, I know that no other brands and models will sound like my J45. It's crazy.

So between my dark, 2016 Taylor 324 sound cannon, and my dark, punchy, quick-decaying, organic sounding, 2017 J45 Standard, I am oh-so-content!

I might add a Martin sometime down the line for kicks....maybe when I retire...but one thing I know for sure...this J45 is here to stay. I recently told a Gibson rep that I can't wait to grow old with the J45.

I might add a Martin sometime down the line for kicks....maybe when I retire...but one thing I know for sure...this J45 is here to stay. I recently told a Gibson rep that I can't wait to grow old with the J45.

Growing old with a J45 beats growing old without one. I bought my 1948-'50 J45 when I was 19. Still have that old sucker, and I turn 72 next month.

By the time you get to my age that new guitar should just about be broken in.

Hey - really enjoy hearing stories like this, , , and believe I speak on behalf of the whole Board.

Many of us know what it means to get the right guitar home - especially if bein' a person with some serious acoustic mileage behind you.

It's a very convincing feeling and it's hard to beat when talking things, not people.

An extra plus for you is that you discovered a brand new brand, , , meaning the Gibson-flavor in all its wonder.

I can see why you're smitten - why you wanna share - we all recognize what you're sayin' here. .

Stay lucky

Well, for the first time in years, I can say that I'm really content guitar wise. My first quality guitar was a brand new Taylor GS8e. It was great but the 1 3/4" nut width hurt my hand...it was just a smidgen wide.

During the years I owned it, my taste in tone changed. I wanted something dark. Naturally, I figured a Martin would solve that. I sold the Taylor and used that money plus some to buy a Martin OMJM. I loved all the specs minus the signature etc. Oh well. It was still brighter to my ears. After a few years, I ran across Taylors new 300 series with Mahogany top and Blackwood back and sides. It was the darkest sounding Taylor I ever heard and I ended up grabbing it new in 2016. It's a weird combination of brighter yet dark. It's hard to explain. The first time I brought it home, I played it for my wife with her eyes closed and she thought it was my Martin.

The Martin just didn't light a fire and so early this year, I sold it, and finally purchased a Gibson J45 Standard.

Don't hate me, but after 18 years I finally decided to give Gibsons a chance. Why did it take that long you ask? Because in my STUPID, young mind, I didn't like Sunburst finishes...and I equated Gibsons to Sunbursts. Yup that's it. That's why I never tried one.

Well thank goodness we all grow up right? I'm not sure what happened but I LOVE Sunburst finishes now and Gibson is the KING of Sunburst if you ask me.

It was love at first strum. The J45 Standard finally gave me what I had been looking for..........for all those years. Looking back, I'm kind of glad I went full circle...I know now what I love and this J45 scratches that itch every time I play it.

It's silly how one guitar can basically cure GAS. How does it cure GAS you ask? Since this J45 gives me the tone I love, I know that no other brands and models will sound like my J45. It's crazy.

So between my dark, 2016 Taylor 324 sound cannon, and my dark, punchy, quick-decaying, organic sounding, 2017 J45 Standard, I am oh-so-content!

Funny how a certain guitar will do that for you. Mine is my 2014 J-45 standard. I will never part with it. I also have a J-185 quilted Maple which I love.

Some folks look for variety in sound, form and material - they tend to be collectors. I’m guilty of this and am currently tending a herd of 26.

Some folks are sound chasers. Looking for that particular tone, clarity, ring, fullness, thump, etc, etc. During their search they might own a number of guitars When they find what they’re looking for they tend cull/limit their ownership.

And there are those that are a bit of both - they tend to own several examples of similar/same instruments.

Just my theory. B)

These Gibbies do have their own unique charm, there us no denying.. It took me many years, but I finally myself, picked my first Gibson acoustic in 2016.. (VSB SJ200 it just kills)..

I also have a 2006 Taylor Grand Symphony Jumbo, I sat down in a music store 5 hours away from home during a mini vacation with my family. After 5 minutes of playing that one, I wasn't leaving without it..

WRT a cure GAS? sorry, but you know, I know, and we all know.... you're just being delusional... (LOL!). There is at least J200 or possibly a Humming Bird in your future, my crystal ball clearly shows this.

Enjoy the 45!! We'd love to see a pic..

Is dark anything like chocolatey?

The way I look at it, GAS dies the day you are no longer curious about what you can pull out of a guitar. In 55 or so years I have never found that place. That is how I ended up with that 1942 all-mahogany Harmony while curiosity about the Gibson P-13 pickup pushed me into the Harmony H40. Only thing I can say in my defense is that neither guitar, although both are rare birds, cost me much. Wish I could say the same for the repairs.

That is how I ended up with that 1942 all-mahogany Harmony while curiosity about the Gibson P-13 pickup pushed me into the Harmony H40. Only thing I can say in my defense is that neither guitar, although both are rare birds, cost me much. Wish I could say the same for the repairs.

The problem with repairs is that they are largely unrelated to the value of the guitar. A new bridgeplate costs pretty much the same on a 1937 D-28 as on a 1942 Harmony. The difference in value between them is orders of magnitude.

Death will cure gas (after a few hours)......It's easy to get hung-up on one brand of guitar and then you begin avoiding/ignoring other brands of guitars, even the better ones. My anti-guitar-brand feelings have always been directed towards Taylors and it has noting to do with how well the guitars are made. I know that Taylor makes great instruments. It's just that whenever I think of a Taylor guitar I imagine it being played by some dude wearing a wreath of lilies around his head and he's dressed in a Roman toga. That, and the fact that I love the gritty history and tradition of Gibson are my reasons for not playing many other brands, although I do own a couple Martins ( because of their history and tradition).

It's just that whenever I think of a Taylor guitar I imagine it being played by some dude wearing a wreath of lilies around his head and he's dressed in a Roman toga.

LOL! as the city they live in is in flames in the background!

Archived