Gibson Brands Forums

1959 Les Paul

chrisarena2003

I am thinking of selling my black 1959 Les Paul. It's a standard. Painted black. I have a good idea of it's worth. EVERYTHING on the guitar is the same. Nothing has been altered. Original pick-ups, nuts etc. I have a dealer working for the antique roadshow appraising it. Apparently he feels the market is soft for it and any dealer who would consider purchasing it would pay half of what they would have paid had it been 3 years ago. Is this guy right?

-chris

also i have an older es 175 I am looking to sell we well. All original parts but kinda beat up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Now's not the time to sell vintage guitars, it's time to buy them. The guys giving you good advice. The retailers average advertised selling prices haven't come down much at all. No way to tell what people are actually paying. But, the offer prices are way, way down, as the vermin vintage dealers try to take advantage of distressed selling. Having been around this stuff since before Custer went to boot camp, don't sell now, and especially to a vintage guitar dealer. (What do you call 100 vintage guitar dealers at the bottom of the ocean? A good start!)

This is a real '59 in black? Was it refinished?

A friend who is a dealer (he sold my '63 Country Gent for a fat price for me, a couple of years ago) says the bottom is dropping out of the market. It's not that prices are going down -- it's that nobody's buying, at any price. Hang onto that git.

The market will probably rebound...but at least, even if the recent inflated prices don't return, players will be actually buying guitars sometime in the future.

Archived