Gibson Brands Forums

I Needed More Stuff....

Murph

The soloamp was chosen but always wondered about the L1

Do you likes it murph ?

Love it.

I bought a little 10 channel Yamaha mixer for when Dummitt/Malone does smaller stuff and the Bose L1 Compact is absolutely KILLER used with a duo / or solo. The quality of tone and projection for such a small unit boggles the mind. But the real surprise was that little S1-Pro. Battery operated with 2 mic inputs and reverb, that thing is a hoot. I have to use 2 mics nowadays because I'm playing guitar, mandolin (1933 Gibson with no pickup) and Resonator (no pickup). That's why I needed the mixer for the L1-Compact, too.

There are so many combinations of ways to use those two units in an acoustic setting. I'm now a Bose fanboy.

Bose fanboy here as well.

We usually play with my partner's big boy L1, but I play at home with my L1 Compact, and bring it to use in conjunction with the other Bose if the place is big enough. The gem of the setup is the T1 Tonematch mixer. I bought the unit used, and now the new expensive models are even on sale, although no where near what I bought mine for.

The T1 Tonematch mixer has a lot of acoustic guitar presets, such as J45, J200, D28, and of course the ability to customize it. Reverb? EQ? Chorus? Delay? Its got it. Preset for each channel? IE channel 2 is a preset for a Shure SM58 vocal mic? Yep. And then you can create "Scenes" - so that you select a scene (you singing with a J45, or a D18, or an AJ), and boom you are there. The setup is easy to bring in, plug in, and have the sound you want in minutes.

Here is my L1C without the column extenders, and the T1 Mixer.

PFoXEhQl.jpg

Hey Murph - what's your impression of the Bose S1, is it doing what you were hoping?

I have to say it far exceeded what I expected for something so small, light and battery powered. Sal had convinced me to (at least) try an L1 Compact in his many post about Bose gear. All of my research would also bring mention of the S1 Pro, so I had been intrigued by them for some time.

I came from a Rock Band that played all over the Midwest and South, so I knew it wasn't going to work in rowdy bars. You need to move a lot of air in rowdy bars. However acoustic performance, if done correctly, will require some audience "attention" which lowers the db needs. Somebody once said the S1 is about HALF of an L1 Compact, and I'd say that's about right. Maybe 60%. What makes it so cool is you can set it up in a few SECONDS, and use it ANYWHERE.

If you were in an intimate setting, small bar/coffee house and people paid to see you and were reasonably sober, it would cover 50 easily. Very easily.

A pal once told me that BOSE stands for Bring Other Sound Equipment

HA!

Like FORD right Fix Or Repair Daily..

I can tell ya that the S1 Pro is pretty mind blowing, and so far, for me, it's been a great addition to the sound gear I use.

I can tell ya that the S1 Pro is pretty mind blowing, and so far, for me, it's been a great addition to the sound gear I use.

Your endorsement weighed in on ordering one as well.

The L1 Compact is the king of solo for for sure and that's why I had to have one.

The S1 I just WANTED.

[thumbup]

Your endorsement weighed in on ordering one as well.

The L1 Compact is the king of solo for for sure and that's why I had to have one.

The S1 I just WANTED.

[thumbup]

hey Murph,, if I can enable you to feed the GAS demons, then my work here is done! :)

it sure comes in handy, it's pretty amazing how much space the S1 can cover. It keeps pace with the loudbox artist which is "listed" at 3x the wattage rating (as much as that is worth anyway) and I find I have to tweak it far less to get the tone where it works for me. I basically set it, and forget about it I do enable tone match which I think helps for what I'm looking for. Never had it feedback at an inopportune time either.

Archived