Gibson Brands Forums

A proper recording

Lars68

Here is a proper recording of the latest song I wrote. I'm very excited about the sound quality of this particular recording. It's just me and my guitar. I just added a touch of compression and reverb, no eq or anything else. No nasty vocal esses either. The old Banner J-45 has nickel bronze strings on, making it sound even more woody and dry than normal. A tone some might not prefer, but I really, really like it.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/i-din-lilla-bla-1

If your guitar is too boomy when recorded, try the nickel bronze strings, they really help tame the bass.

What do you think of it? Recording, playing, vocals, songwriting? Any and all suggestions for future improvements on each element are welcome.

Lars

This is an excellent recording and performance. What kind of pick are you using Lars? Some people don't like the pick sounds on a recording. I happen to love the sound of the click of the pick on the strings. It gives sparkle, dimension and immediacy to the recording. What is your recording setup? One mic? Two?

Thanks for listening and the kind words. It means a lot to me, especially coming from you, EA. I know you have heard my stuff from the beginning about three years ago. So you really know what I've had to work with and through.

For anyone interested here is the translation I posted in that other thread. It is a translation for literal meaning ONLY. I've not put any time in trying for it to have flow, rhyme, or poetic qualities, but I do think the Swedish version has at least some of those qualities. It's a song to my wife.

IN YOUR LITTLE BLUE

I'd just turned 35, alone, in 35 square meters.

with a record collection as my best friend, but no love in sight

So lost in existence, a compass missing north

with a cut deep into my heart, as from the sharpest of knives

That's when you came, in your little blue, to me along highway 23

and for the very first time I felt like I belonged

In Öland (island off the Swedish east coast) July 03, you remember Ärleklinta Beach?

Then Springsteen sang to us from the stage, in the City of Angels (Gothenburg to Swedes, not L.A.)

Since then it's been you and me, 15 years, how time flies

Like a needle in a heystack, but we found something ment to last

why do we roam this earth? eternal question, no answer to be found

but it had to be someone's plan for us to share our days

Lars

Edited by Lars68

This is an excellent recording and performance. What kind of pick are you using Lars? Some people don't like the pick sounds on a recording. I happen to love the sound of the click of the pick on the strings. It gives sparkle, dimension and immediacy to the recording. What is your recording setup? One mic? Two?

Thanks! It's a Blue Chip 40 pick. I tend to drop other picks, but not this one. Also, it has the ”right” kind of pick noice.

My setup is simple. One Myrtle mic (by Ear Trumpet Labs), an Apogee One soundcard, and my iPad with the Garageband software.

Lars

Edited by Lars68

Lars - Freakin' Good! Still can't understand a word of it, and I've been taking Spanish for 2 months... Regardless, I really enjoyed it, thought the balance was good, and guitar sounded real nice. Tell you the truth, as you were playing it, all I could think of was Cat Stevens - kind of has his vibe. Good job.

Lars - Freakin' Good! Still can't understand a word of it, and I've been taking Spanish for 2 months... Regardless, I really enjoyed it, thought the balance was good, and guitar sounded real nice. Tell you the truth, as you were playing it, all I could think of was Cat Stevens - kind of has his vibe. Good job.

Thank you, everyone!

Lo siento, but I'm afraid Spanish classes won't help much with understanding Swedish [biggrin]

Lars

Edited by Lars68

Way to go LARS. Great recording........

I understood one word in it - Springsteen!

And that's the one word that counts! He has been a constant in my musical life since I bought The River in 1980 at age twelve. My first "real" record, responsible for starting my lifelong love affair with his music and the music of others. It's also the reason I am trying so hard to learn to write, perform, and record my own music now as an adult. Just wish I had started earlier, when learning new stuff would still come more easily.

Thanks, Sal!

Lars

My goodness, Lars, the guitar, and you, sound fabulous!

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Absolutely lovely.

Thanks, John. I really appreciate that!

I guess I managed to do something good with this particular song of mine. I'll do my very best to identify the good ingredients and hang on to them for dear life! [biggrin]

Lars

Edited by Lars68

I didn't know you had a thread up for this one. I'm glad you did. It sure is a good one. You know it's a good song when it jumps over the language barrier. Nice use of Reverb, too. It's a full track, complete with some dynamic elements and atmosphere.

I agree. Youve gone such a long way Lars. Infacr its got me envious and motivated to get off my lazy butt and start writing originals.

Youre on a great journey Lars.

Thanks Em7 and EA. The positive responses in this thread mean a lot to me. I have been, and still am, very insecure about my abilities, but you make me feel confident I'm at least heading in the right direction. It's hard to explain, but I sometimes feel like I haven't ”earned my license” for making music, because I have litterally no idea what I'm doing. I know very, very little about scales, modes, keys, tension/release, build-up, bridges etc, that I hear about all the time in connection to writing songs. Instead, I go totally by instinct and mess around with the chords I know, until something comes out. With that said, perhaps it could also be a good thing, because I'm by no means bound by conventions about how it's supposed to be done or sound...I don't know...

EA, you should give writing originals a try. It is very rewarding and satisfying. Since I don't gig or play with others, it is a motivation I need to keep me moving forward. The step to writing myself probably rescued the hobby for me. I was not getting anywhere with my out of tune versions of Heart of Gold. The world is a better place without me insulting songs already done superbly by others [biggrin]

Lars