Gibson Brands Forums

Sirius (XM) Rage

jedzep

As a fugitive from a long boring life with terrestrial radio, I rejoiced when satellite radio was born... a dream come true for a music junkie, especially when I'm not doing Spotify/Pandora stuff. I go nuts around the holidays, however, because as a paying non-celebrant customer, I resent the insertion of so-called holiday songs, which appear across all the genres and channels, even though there are plenty of dedicated holiday music channels. I rant and rave over how my regular mix vibe is ruined by this trite crap, something also that was always irritating about terrestrial. I've emailed the channel jocks to the point where I'm probably blocked, but can't find any other way to complain, of course knowing it would do no good anyway. Grrrrr!

I feel better. Thanks for listening.

.....ssssSPA...a...a...a...a

No xmas music on Spa. Don't let day time fool you, best time for Spa is overnight. Had it on while spending the 12 - 8 shift hanging around the valleys of Yellowstone and MAN they play some good stuff overnight.

Well, to us. You may not like it.

rct

Jedzep is Finnish for Scrooge.

Merry Christmas. Do yourself a favor and ditch SXM anyways. I didn't think people still listened to that.

What do people listen to? Radio has been intolerable since Howard and The Grease Man made it into a non-stop nyuck nyuck nyuck fest.

rct

Back in medieval times, being easily bored by repeated song cycles and, of course commercials, I spent a lot of time transposing music from my monster vinyl collection and college radio stations to cassette, so I had decent access to unbroken chains of songs of many genres, It was also fun to mix the songs into what I thought was an interesting format. Suddenly, that became more of a chore, and free time harder to come by, so when satellite radio came to life I happily jumped on the train. Now though, having no extra time or energy to plow through the plentiful waves of great artists and tunes to create my own playlists, I need the quick fix and portability of Sirius, but of course I wasn't consulted about the blueprint as it was being designed, and to my disappointment, a couple undesirable vestiges of terrestrial didn't go away. Dropping holiday tunes into the regular mix is one of them, along with bumpers, sound effects, stingers, and for that matter talkie DJ's (oh that Steve Van Zandt is just ponderous).

I don't think it's 'grinchy' to just not acknowledge holidays as I do, but I get a kick out of the ribbing from friends and family when they come around. Nevertheless, on a pay system where holiday song options are plentiful, I just feel like I'm being force fed someone else's concept beyond what I want out of my investment. I also naively thought the playlists would be so huge that repetition of songs would be negligible. That didn't happen either.

So yeah, I'm a pisspot about it, along with a handful of general peeves. I think the aggravation will help me live longer. I don't use a smartphone, don't ask robots to turn on my lights or adjust my thermostat, talk hands-free in my car, or get flu shots. Next year my house in the woods will get high speed fib-optic connection. Maybe I'll have to climb over the next tech wall at some point, but oh, shoving that holiday music up my butt makes me nuts.

Sirius / XM is renting music. I've had it with several new vehicles and when the free sample is over I let it shut itself down. Paying for it forever just seems stupid. Can't do it.

I own my music, buy it once (iTunes) and also use internet radio like Radio Free Phoenix and Radio Heartland which are free.

I also worked in Radio back when we spun vinyl, and later with c.d.'s and am a radio junkie and enjoy searching the dial because it's local and we have some pretty good local stations.

I don't rent music.

Archived