Gibson Brands Forums

Twin Reverb with a 15” speaker

jaxson50

In the early 90s I had a 1974 Twin that was beat up pretty bad. It had fallen down a flight of stairs at a gig and broke the bottom panel. It had been fiberglassed back together. A friend gave me a Bassman Ten cabinet (4-10 combo amp) that had exploded. I cut the Bassman cabinet down to a square and put one 15" in it. I then cut the Twin down to a head. Presto. Twin half stack with one 15. I used it until '97 when it was just flat getting old. Needed tubes at least and maybe caps. Traded it for a mint 1988 Peavey Classic 50, which I still own.

In the mid 80s I also owned a blackface 1964 Fender Pro with one 15. It was okay. Worth much, much more to a collector than to someone who wants a good sounding amp, which is why it went to a collector... [biggrin]

In the early 90s I had a 1974 Twin that was beat up pretty bad. It had fallen down a flight of stairs at a gig and broke the bottom panel. It had been fiberglassed back together. A friend gave me a Bassman Ten cabinet (4-10 combo amp) that had exploded. I cut the Bassman cabinet down to a square and put one 15" in it. I then cut the Twin down to a head. Presto. Twin half stack with one 15. I used it until '97 when it was just flat getting old. Needed tubes at least and maybe caps. Traded it for a mint 1988 Peavey Classic 50, which I still own.

In the mid 80s I also owned a blackface 1964 Fender Pro with one 15. It was okay. Worth much, much more to a collector than to someone who wants a good sounding amp, which is why it went to a collector... [biggrin]

Not sure about the blackface Pro but the brownface Pro sounds pretty damn sweet

I've recently gotten a Peavey Classic 20 watt Mini head. I plan on pairing it with a tweed 1x15 cab loaded with a Celestion Fullback. 15's sound good. to my ears anyway.

either that or keep the mini as a sometime or back up head and get a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 model. the new ones come with a Celestion Fullback.

Not sure about the blackface Pro but the brownface Pro sounds pretty damn sweet

The blackface Pro was paired up with a Stuart (Japan) Beatle bass copy, bought by a lady who played it in church a few times, then it went in the closet. She gave it to a friend, who sold me the amp and another friend the bass. I used it for a short while in 1986 when we were trying unsuccessfully to put a crappy band together. It was okay, but then I picked up that '74 Twin for $250 and as soon as I plugged the Hopf Saturn and the Telecaster into it, my head exploded. The Pro went away shortly after that. It got traded back to me in '93 and I flipped it to a collector.

I believe it was a 40 watt model and the later ones went to 70? Not sure. It also didn't have reverb, so it lost 1000 points from the gate.

Sill love the late 1950s/ early 1960s Fender Amps. I started out with a Fender Tremolux amp around 1957, then bought Fender Bandmaster amp in 1964 ( still have it ).

Guess I am ol school through and through.

We used the Fender Dual Showman amps in our band around 1965.

Back then those were about the greatest amp for the type of music we were playing.

Twin reverb is one of the amps on the top of my list.

Would love to find and original one in good condition.

Not sure I ever saw one of those with a 15 in it. Seems like it sort of contradicts the "twin" in Twin Reverb as I always thought of them as two 12" speakers, which I liked better than a single speaker cabinet. Gigged a '74 Twin Reverb for about 20 years and it started to lose power so decided it was time for new tubes. Went to a shop and asked for a set of the same ones that were in it (CBS I think) and they said we don't sell those because "they're not very reliable". I said well they worked for me for 20 years to I can't agree with you. [biggrin]

Not sure I ever saw one of those with a 15 in it. Seems like it sort of contradicts the "twin" in Twin Reverb as I always thought of them as two 12" speakers, which I liked better than a single speaker cabinet. Gigged a '74 Twin Reverb for about 20 years and it started to lose power so decided it was time for new tubes. Went to a shop and asked for a set of the same ones that were in it (CBS I think) and they said we don't sell those because "they're not very reliable". I said well they worked for me for 20 years to I can't agree with you. [biggrin]

The Fender branded tubes would have been made by Ge, RCA, Sylvania, etc

I don’t think you will find NOS Fender branded tubes, it would be easier to search for NOS Ge, RCA, Sylvania, etc

Sill love the late 1950s/ early 1960s Fender Amps. I started out with a Fender Tremolux amp around 1957, then bought Fender Bandmaster amp in 1964 ( still have it ).

Guess I am ol school through and through.

We used the Fender Dual Showman amps in our band around 1965.

Back then those were about the greatest amp for the type of music we were playing.

Twin reverb is one of the amps on the top of my list.

Would love to find and original one in good condition.

Nice to see ya Bill. If you ever get bored enough maybe you can build your own amp? Pretty much all of those old Fender amps are well documented and can be built today just like the original

Nice to see ya Bill. If you ever get bored enough maybe you can build your own amp? Pretty much all of those old Fender amps are well documented and can be built today just like the original

Hey there Mr. T. How the hell is ya ?

If I was still able to play I might consider it, and truthfully don’t know why I would like to pick up a twin reverb, as I could not put it to use.

My 1964 Fender Bandmaster is still in perfect condition and still has all the original tubes in it.

When I need a small amp for working on guitars, I have a small Crate amp that works pretty good for what I need.

How have you been ?

Working hard ?

Getting ready for that fat bastard to fall down the chimney ?

Tried to shoot him last year, but only nicked his shoulder.

Archived