Gibson Brands Forums

Why didn’t y’all tell me about the BFG

AngelDeVille

I’m not a fan of Les Pauls, I’m a dyed in the wool SG guy.

The P90 gold tops held a little interest for me, but never enough to buy one. And the older “Goth” models were mildly interesting.

I just discovered the BFG yesterday, and now I’m sad I missed the earlier models with the Humbucker in the bridge, P90 in the neck and a kill switch.

Newer models have either P90’s or Humbuckers, no mix and match, and the standard 2vol 2tone.

I just had to pull the trigger on one even though there is no hsc... I have a spare skb I got cheap of CL a coup,e years ago.

Should be here Saturday... I’ll have my bigsby ready by then...

30429938-1202-4033-95-E7-31-C63-AF3775-A.jpg

Like you really needed that one too huh? Cool axe and I like the non inlays too! Congrats and thanks for sharing!! don't forget to update with a tone report too!!

I’m trimming down the collection, I have three on CL now and three more soon, One sold last week...

This is my first Les Paul!

Man you really are thinning the herd! Good luck and I hope it goes well for you!!

I have an epi 339, Hamer V, and a Charvel listed now, listing a Silvertone, 12 string Danelectro, Longhorn bass by this weekend, probably a telecaster and a fretless bass too.

Man you really are thinning the herd! Good luck and I hope it goes well for you!!

I’m keeping some 80’s shredders, junk parts guitars no one else would love, I may even pair down a couple SG”s. I don’t own any clunkers so it is hard to pair it down.

Hey there was also a Gary Moore BFG les paul too it seems. I almost pulled the trigger on one of those myself.

I did see one of those listed for much more than I’m willing to pay on reverb.

Some of the 80's guitars were pretty killer. I had a couple back in the early 2000's. They are getting harder and harder to come across for a decent price. I guess they are becoming collectible or vintage too.

I hear you on the clunkers. I do not have any cluckers or beaters either. I have been tempted to purchase a ding bat a few times but I have passed on them. Most of the ones I come across have broken floyd rose type tremelos and for what you spend on a 300 dollar guitar and have to buy a 150 dollar tremelo to fix it, I just save my money and buy ones that do not need major hardware.

I'm keeping some 80's shredders, junk parts guitars no one else would love, I may even pair down a couple SG"s. I don't own any clunkers so it is hard to pair it down.

I did see one of those listed for much more than I'm willing to pay on reverb.

Some of the 80's guitars were pretty killer. I had a couple back in the early 2000's. They are getting harder and harder to come across for a decent price. I guess they are becoming collectible or vintage too.

I hear you on the clunkers. I do not have any cluckers or beaters either. I have been tempted to purchase a ding bat a few times but I have passed on them. Most of the ones I come across have broken floyd rose type tremelos and for what you spend on a 300 dollar guitar and have to buy a 150 dollar tremelo to fix it, I just save my money and buy ones that do not need major hardware.

It would take a lot of money to pry this one away from me... like ES-175 money...

image.jpg

NICE... I think BFGs are unbelievably cool guitars.. That effect they have on the top is awesome.

I used to have a Gary Moore BFG.. I loved everything about it apart from the fat neck profile which I just cant get on with so sold it on in the end.. But the most amazing thing about the older BFGs with a P90 and Humbucker combo was the middle position... It was a beast of a sound, kinda sounded like the pickups were fighting each other but in a good way.

I kinda wish id kept it now. Its a pretty rare beast. And now I know what to do with these things I would have probably just shaved the neck down a bit myself.

This was my one

mkPVV5C.jpg

bd6bSMO.jpg

5NceXCt.jpg

NICE... I think BFGs are unbelievably cool guitars.. That effect they have on the top is awesome.

I used to have a Gary Moore BFG.. I loved everything about it apart from the fat neck profile which I just cant get on with so sold it on in the end.. But the most amazing thing about the older BFGs with a P90 and Humbucker combo was the middle position... It was a beast of a sound, kinda sounded like the pickups were fighting each other but in a good way.

I kinda wish id kept it now. Its a pretty rare beast. And now I know what to do with these things I would have probably just shaved the neck down a bit myself.

This was my one

mkPVV5C.jpg

bd6bSMO.jpg

5NceXCt.jpg

It will be here Friday! But the amp I ordered won’t be here until after Christmas!

That Gary Moore is beautiful! I think there is one on reverb.

I can’t wait to see the finish on it, I’m thinking I could hand rub a little color into it.

I need to get on the ball and cut down my B7 bigsby to B3 specs tonight!, or I could just slap a B5 on it until next string change.

I’m glad I waited this long to like a Les Paul. This thing is perfect, and priced right.

I threw a B5 bigsby on it for now, I have a B7 I’m going to heavily modify and I’ll add it next string change..

I actually picked it up 45 minutes before I had to leave for a guitar lesson. It was still in tune when I opened the box. So I used it in my lesson with the factory stings.

I changed the strings and added the bigsby a couple minutes ago. I’ll also be changing the knobs and adding a poker chip.

The rough finish is absolutely gorgeous. I have seen burst flamed tops I wouldn’t trade this for.

The silk screened “Gibson” and “Les Paul” logo are in keeping with the barely finished theme, but I think it could be a little better done, and sharper. That is my only complaint, and it’s not that big of a complaint.

It is heavier than any of my SG’s but nowhere near 70’s Stratocaster weights. I would guestimate under 7.5lbs easily...

22431-E9-A-8344-4-D1-E-AC52-07-BD1-E2794-E8.jpg

20181222-175000-2.jpg

I'm glad I waited this long to like a Les Paul. This thing is perfect, and priced right.

I threw a B5 bigsby on it for now, I have a B7 I'm going to heavily modify and I'll add it next string change..

20181222-175000-2.jpg

Very nice, your new LP looks great with the B5 on it...... I too seem to be getting addicted to adding tremolo's, like on my latest acquisition...

p5nMo6m.jpg

It is a good looking guitar. I have never saw one in person. How does it sound and what amp are you waiting on that you ordered?

Are you happy with the over all feel of it?

I haven’t plugged it in yet, I put away my Fender in anticipation of the Marshall. But it’s got two p90’s so there is no way it could sound bad.

The overall feel is is very good, I’m changing the things I don’t like by adding a tremolo and pickguard and ditching the gum drop knobs.

I went ahead and stole the extra amp knob I needed off my V.

20181223-232916.jpg

Then changed the V to fake amp knobs.

20181223-235644.jpg

Archived