Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AngelDeVille

Why didn’t y’all tell me about the BFG

I don’t think I’d be happy with a B3 type bigsby unless I drilled some holes in the top and relocated the strap button, and I don’t want that.

I took the B5 off her today.

We will just leave her hartailed... I have enough bigsby’d guitars anyway.

Added the poker chip..

20181225-122505.jpg

I don’t think I’d be happy with a B3 type bigsby unless I drilled some holes in the top and relocated the strap button, and I don’t want that.

I took the B5 off her today.

We will just leave her hartailed... I have enough bigsby’d guitars anyway.

Added the poker chip..

20181225-122505.jpg

That’s the greatest switch plate ever =D>

Ha. I wasn't expecting such a quick response.. I like it but may be too dark for what you are looking for going by the 1 and 3 choice.. Maybe try mixing 1 and 3 together? :)

Ha. I wasn't expecting such a quick response.. I like it but may be too dark for what you are looking for going by the 1 and 3 choice.. Maybe try mixing 1 and 3 together? :)

3&5 was the ticket....

Results in the next couple days....

3&5 was the ticket....

Results in the next couple days....

Nice [thumbup]

I did have one thought about the colour choice.

I think one of the cool things about having a darker colour in this case is that if you are to sand it down at all, whats going to happen is that the tops of the bumps of the carvings will sand away very quickly showing the light coloured maple underneath.. So with a dark colour you get to see all that wood showing which I think is a nice contrast.. A light colour and you wont see that so much.

Obviously its your guitar though :)

Edited by Rabs

Nice [thumbup]

I did have one thought about the colour choice.

I think one of the cool things about having a darker colour in this case is that if you are to sand it down at all, whats going to happen is that the tops of the bumps of the carvings will sand away very quickly showing the light coloured maple underneath.. So with a dark colour you get to see all that wood showing which I think is a nice contrast.. A light colour and you wont see that so much.

Obviously its your guitar though :)

I’m saving that #1 for a strat I’m working on since it will be a solid color. And looks very much like a shell pink.

20170829-232319-2.jpg

I have a few more days to go to get this one finished, I was able to get one layer of hand rubbed shellac, got a few more to go.

20190102-205502-2.jpg

Have you sanded much of the carved bits out?

I sanded it to take some color out of the raised up bits.

There were quite a few rough spots where the CNC chattered so I smoothed that out some.

, but I don’t want to take out all the roughness on the finished product.

After several more layers of shellac, I think I’ll end with a 400-600 grit smoothing, maybe 800, but I doubt it.

I had to be careful with the first layer of shellac not to take too much of the color off. I’ll probably tint the next couple layers of shellac.

Angel where did you get your down tension bar???

Google Towner bar or tension bar. it's about $30.

I like this setup (b3 and towner) much better than a b7 and vibramate.

Google Towner bar or tension bar. it's about $30.

I like this setup (b3 and towner) much better than a b7 and vibramate.

Yay.. found a stainless tension bar on reverb.. thank you...

Finish will be done this weekend and all the parts will be here by Monday.

Obviously no coil splitter. And found a nice strap... I have been loving those Ace reissue straps, this one was more expensive so I hope I like it.

2306-C479-2-A1-D-4-AE0-9697-9-F080-F2-F0644.png

BF0-E1390-CC8-F-46-F7-A8-B5-9-F630-CE509-A1.jpg

Edited by AngelDeVille

How many kill switches does a guitar need?

None. Exactly one(1) trick with a kill switch. You can use it...twice in the first set, after that it's pretty old.

rct

Since you only have one tone and one volume you can't do the Ace Frehley machine gun sound where you turn down one volume knob all the way and leave other one all the way up and then toggle the pickup selector. I think he does it at the beginning of Firehouse on Kiss Alive, and probably on Kiss Alive II. Haven't heard either in a long while.

Yeah, that's about it. There's a famous blooz player around here, he uses the kill switch in every solo.

rct

Buckethead uses it on Jordan which is probably the best use of it I've ever heard. He's coming to Richmond and I may go see him just to see a man play in a mask with bucket of chicken on his head. Not sure if I can stand 2 hours of endless noodling and monster movie themed stuff.

He's actually pretty cool to see live, we just saw him last fall.

https://youtu.be/sGOaGwKQwrw

I like the simplicity of a single volume/single tone knob, especially combined with P90's.

I was going to use the neck pots and plug the extra holes, leaving the switch in the stock position.

Then I got the refinishing bug and decided to go whole hog.

I put the switch in the bridge volume hole, so it was close to where the toggle on an SG is.

I have single vol/tone on most of my strats too, and I may add kill switches to them as well, no real reason, just for fun.

I'm not a shredder, I just love to tinker.

20190106-222657-2.jpg

Edited by AngelDeVille

Ohh so Purdy! The strap is just ok quality wise for the price, but it is pretty and should last a long time. The Ace reissue straps are nicer for 2/3 the price, but they don’t have pink.

I was super happy when I got her new, and now I like her so much better.

She’s solidly in my top 3, with my 2004 V, and 2017 SG.

I had 3 old *** .033uf caps and they all snapped while trying to install them... I have a .022uf in her now and I’m waiting for a restock on the 33’s.

I also bought a deep toggle nut so I can put my poker chip back on...

20190107-171406-2.jpg

Edited by AngelDeVille