Gibson Brands Forums

How Many Still Spin Vinyl

zombywoof

Has nothing to do with nothing but am just curious. Maybe it is for me Old School Guitars and Old School Audio just go together. I have two systems. The big one is powered by a pair of strapped Sound Valves amps (think updated Dynaco). Throw in the preamp and the rest though and it takes up a whole lot of space. So at present power to the point comes courtesy of an integrated amp. There is just something about watching the stylus riding an LP or 45 backlit by the glow of cathodes that is just comforting.

Fisher-500-B-1.jpg

Yes, I do. Bought most of my vinyl in the late 90's/early 2000's on a whim and it was for the most part dirt cheap. I am actually considering selling it off to help fund a guitar purchase at some point.

Another question is actually, "how many have recently got into vinyl?" Vinyl, at least up here in Canada, has become a "thing" with the 20-30 yr olds.

I have several milk crates of my old records up in the attic, some of them go back to the 1950's. A couple years ago I ripped most of the ones I wanted and now have them in iTunes. It's nice to hear the old scratches from my youth sometimes. :) My father and I were into hifi/stereo when I was a kid. I was building my own Heathkit amps and plywood speaker cabinets by the time I was 13 or 14. I still had a turntable connected to my stereo unitl around 2006, but no more! 57 years of vinyl is enough for one lifetime, I prefer having all my music, movies and tv shows on a media server.

I started buying vinyl in the mid 70's, just before my teens. I remember going to Tower Records when vinyl was $3.99 an album. I think the first album it got was Sgt Pepper or Abbey Road.

Yeah right.

First albums are never sgt pepper or abbey road

They’re always something embarrassing

There’s no way you’re that cool FZ

Have had a love/hate relationship with vinyl since my first album purchase in 1964. Prior to that, had bought 45s.

Amassed a pretty large collection over the decades, and finally sold them all a few years ago to a used record shop that specializes in jazz, blues, folk, & bluegrass.

To this day, still have PTSD on certain songs where I'd listened to pops or skips for years!

I started buying vinyl in The late 50's. I have 1,500 albums and when I bought the Beatles albums I bought two one to keep and one to play. I have 21 Beatles albums that have never been played. Most of my first records were 45's of Elvis, Little Richard, and Chuck Berry. Still have 'em. I played them to death trying to figure out how to play the licks on guitar. I am a big fan of Eddie Cochran and later Brian Setzer. A good Rockabilly lick is always welcome at our jams.

I keep my collection in a closet that is cool and dry. Someone will open it up and find a treasure. I keep a bunch of my favorites with my turntable and try to rotate them so they get played from time to time. I don't like living in the past but it's hard to get inspired with rap music.

Yes I still play my vinyl collection, though I'm selling off lots of it on Discogs these days.

And I still have and always will keep my classic hi-fi; Garrard 401 turntable in SME plinth, SME 12" arm, Audio-Technica cartridge, Quad preamp and power amp, nice big speakers with upgraded drive units I put in myself. Plenty of power and detail with no audible distortion.

[thumbup]

Just got my gramophone home from the doctor. It has been rotating here since May 1973. A Dual 1229.

Re-spin # 1 on full volume : Dèjá Vu

Yeah right.

First albums are never sgt pepper or abbey road

They're always something embarrassing

There's no way you're that cool FZ

My first LP was Help! - walked down and bought it as a 6 year old after it was released. Purchased a stereo-copy in London a decade later.

Embarrassing records ? - a remote village in Siberia.

I have 1,500 albums and when I bought the Beatles albums I bought two one to keep and one to play.

Wow !

I still spin vinyl.

I have every LP that I ever owned, minus the ones I lost in the divorce.

I have a Kenwood turntable from 1982 that still works like a champ. (It's on its fourth stylus.)

I push it thru my home studio PA system into the monitors.

Last year I inherited a bunch of old vinyl LPs and 45's that were stored in my moms old house. Mostly from the 1960's.

Good stuff.

:)

61ZogNdHXWL._SX355_.jpg

Yeah right. First albums are never sgt pepper or abbey road. They're always something embarrassing...

My first album was 'Ummagumma' so that either proves - or disproves - your point.

Granted it was neither Sgt. Pepper nor Abbey Road.

Pip.

EDIT : Forgot to say; Yes, I have just short of a thousand vinyl many of which get regular play-time when I have the time to listen PROPERLY.

One

1545347256[/url]' post='1968392']

I still spin vinyl.

I have every LP that I ever owned, minus the ones I lost in the divorce.

I have a Kenwood turntable from 1982 that still works like a champ. (It's on its fourth stylus.)

I push it thru my home studio PA system into the monitors.

Last year I inherited a bunch of old vinyl LPs and 45's that were stored in my moms old house. Mostly from the 1960's.

Good stuff.

:)

61ZogNdHXWL._SX355_.jpg

One of my favorites, I bought my copy when it was first released.

Since I still have hundreds of LPs, I still play them. Some of them have been reissued on CD and I'll listen to those either way.

I like the elimination of the LP surface noise of the CD but I don't like the CD's quantization errors resulting in harmonic frequencies that don't belong there.

So it's about trading one form of distortion for another.

Since CD is more convenient, if I have the album on both formats, I tend to listen to it on CD.

Too bad Blu-Ray or SACD audio didn't catch on. The higher bit rate greatly reduced the quantization errors.

Insights and incites by Notes

I love vinyl.

In fact, I was just listening to Willie and the Poor Boys by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Hadn't heard it in a while and figured why not give it a spin.

Glad I did. "Fortunate Sone," "Down on the Corner," and "Midnight Special" are all on it.

Love the second song on the album, "It Came Out of the Sky."

I listen to vinyl every chance I have. I have an 80's NAD amp and a set of new Klipsch towers that are a bit on the large size.

I started buying Beatles singles around 1980 and the bought records through the 90's, still have all my records from back then and have added to my collection through he years. Used LPs have gotten ridiculously expensive though.

Yes, still play them and still buy them, used or the 180 gram audiophile vinyl that are in abundance, everyone seems to be releasing vinyl again. I've had various turntables over the years, Garrard SP25 & Zero 100, a Thorens deck can't remember the model, 2 Duals, a CS505 MK1 & a CS505 MK2, for the last decade or so I've been using a Technics SL-1210 MK2 with a Nagoaka cartridge.

I started off buying 7" singles in the mid to late 60's mainly UK chart stuff (Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Small Faces, Tremeloes) and played them on my parents Radiogramme.

I then got my very own record player just like this one:ntEVB3R.jpg

I got a job as a paper boy then had money to buy LP's, one of the first I bought was Smash Hits by the Jimi Hendrix Experience on the Track label and it was mono but the very first LP was a Top of The Pops compilation with a Buxom woman on the cover. (can't remember If I bought it for the cover or the musical content)Ah the joys of adolescence!

I got a turntable hooked up a few months ago and started spinning some vinyl again. Mainly Steely Dan Aja. But eventually junk started getting piled on lid, and now it's buried. msp_cursing.gif I guess I'll wait until the holidays are over and de-c;utter enough to get the turntable going again. For a very brief window of time I had something approaching a man cave going. msp_unsure.gif

Archived