Gibson Brands Forums

How Many Still Spin Vinyl

zombywoof

I had a preety large album collection that I sold last year because I never listened to them. I don't think I will ever sell my 45's. My collection starts in the 50's and ends just before the disco era started. I still play the 45's once in a while and I own two turn tables. One is hooked up to a computer and the other to my audio system. I love the sound of vinyl.

I had a preety large album collection that I sold last year because I never listened to them. I don't think I will ever sell my 45's. My collection starts in the 50's and ends just before the disco era started. I still play the 45's once in a while and I own two turn tables. One is hooked up to a computer and the other to my audio system. I love the sound of vinyl.

You never listened to your albums.

But you love the sound of vinyl.

Huh?

I know it sounds strange, but the albums took up so much space and were in crates and not easy to move around. I found over the years that I playd them less and less, and then not at all. The 45's are in easy to move around boxes on several shelves and the songs I want to hear are easy to find.

I still have a Thorens TD-165 in good working order. I sold off around 2700 LPs keeping only my jazz and classical. Everything else is on my computers and is streamed. Just couldn't justify dedicating so much space in my 1400 sq.ft. home, to records. I still buy a new title now and again. The funny part is having to remember the record has to be turned over. I'll be in another room and the music will stop and I'm all WTF? Then I remember I'm listening to an LP.

I love the gift of music.

This year I got two albums, "Redemption," by Joe Bonamassa and "Live Across North America," by Gary Clark Jr.

Redemption came with a digital download so I get to listen to it on my iTunes.

I wish Garry Clark's album came with a free download. I know I can listen off Youtube when I'm out and about, so I'll get by.

Albums are great, but digital downloads are super convenient.

I still have all my old LP's and 45's and have my mom's old stereo and all her old records. I have a turntable that connects to my computer so I can record vinyl to it. I still listen to vinyl from time to time but I rarely buy new vinyl. Most music I listen to is CD or mp3 or whatever. Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM and IHeartRadio get the most play because our band song list that we're working on is on Spotify and the others get listened to in our cars.

Archived