Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Karloff

Delay Pedals ?

Hey guys. I'm sure this has been covered, I just don't feel like searching the forum for it.

anyone using a delay in front of the amp instead of a loop either by desire or no other choice ? and what delays have you found work better than others in front of the amp ?

Thanks

Hey guys. I'm sure this has been covered, I just don't feel like searching the forum for it.

anyone using a delay in front of the amp instead of a loop either by desire or no other choice ? and what delays have you found work better than others in front of the amp ?

Thanks

TC Flashback

Yes.

I use a Dub Dark Cloud pedal. [thumbup] Pretty damn good when I get the mix right.

Need a tap tempo delay; although I've got 2 other delay pedals they don't have tap.

I never used the fx loops in my amps. :-k

Generally speaking pretty much any delay will be fine unless the amp is extremely distorted.

The differences will be more about the sound quality and features that you want rather than one working better in front of an amp than another

Thanks for the minus, whoever you are - grinch.

I've plussed up all the other ones you did in this and the other thread (what people do with their guitar parts).

Happy Xmas!

Edited by jdgm

I've heard a lot of people say that delay pedals sound best through the effects loop. I've actually never tried using the effects loop on any of my amps. Always ran through the front. Something I need to finally try. As far as delay pedals go, I have an MXR Carbon Copy and a DigiTech DigiDelay.

My amp does not have an effects loop. I do not think any of mine did actually. So all of my pedals go in the input up front. My only advice is whatever you have in your effects chain, I tend to think the delay should go last. Or behind your other pedals. Also I am not really up on what delay pedals would be the cats meow but I do know that having a tap tempo is very nice. My only delay effect is on my Tech 21 RK5 Fly Rig. It is a cool little pedal.

https://www.strymon.net/setting-up-your-effect-signal-chain/

This is what I read about to straighten out my rig. Certain pedals work best in the effects loop (post preamp and before power amp) and certain pedals work best before preamp. Some pedals absolutely should not be in the effects loop - like a compressor. Bottom line is to experiment. Steve Vai said experiment, you won’t break anything per a video I viewed a while back. Good luck.

i appreciate the input guys. yep, I'm aware of the standard chain of pedals, where they typically should be placed in the chain. time based (delays/vibes/reverbs) in the loop & or last. I really only started using fx loop 3 or 4 years ago. my Orange AD30HTC doesn't have a loop. I've become fond of the sound of my Carbon Copy delay in the loop of my Traynor.

adjusting a delay to sound acceptable going into the front of an amp you have to dial it way back, fine adjustments. I've pretty much gotten it to where I like it going into the Orange.

wasn't sure if anyone had try this one or that one with different results.

one thing I have noticed recently and maybe its just me, but with everything going into the front of the amp, a boost pedal seems to sound better after the delay than before.at least at gig volumes.

Edited by Karloff

Yes.

I use a Dub Dark Cloud pedal. [thumbup] Pretty damn good when I get the mix right.

Need a tap tempo delay; although I've got 2 other delay pedals they don't have tap.

I never used the fx loops in my amps. :-k

Me also, and me neither!

I've heard a lot of people say that delay pedals sound best through the effects loop. I've actually never tried using the effects loop on any of my amps. Always ran through the front. Something I need to finally try.

Yes, it will sound better. Do it.

I won't buy an amp anymore without an FX loop. [thumbup]

Edited by brad1

I tried running everything straight in and through the fx loop. I like running everything through the fx loop better. Never tried just the delay before the fx loop, but I'm happy with my sound as it is. Right now, my delay pedal is after my tremolo pedal and before the reverb pedal, everything through the fx loop.

Edited by zigzag

tried out a Vox Double Deca delay over the weekend. my favorite local music store has one used and they let me take it home to try out. really liked it. has some features that makes it more adjustable for going in front of amp.

really liked it.

Edited by Karloff

when i had a loop, i used it. but currently i don't have one so i don't. i like analog delays, so i use a vfe blueprint sometimes a violetta

Those are both digital, but are designed to emulate the sound of analog delays.

The PT2399 is just irresistible to us pedal building folk. Not too many actual analog delays out thwre