Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Dove

casbah2

hi,

i wonder if anybody can help me, i am trying to buy a Gibson Dove 1970 very nice but it hasnt got "Made in USA" stamp, the shop told me it is probably because the guitar is an early 1969 or a late 1970s is it correct? Also i looked in the internet the serial number of that year but it wasnt the same on the guitar, serial number:730753 can anybody tell me if this correct please? But the shop told me he is going to give me the certificate of authenticity, the label Gibson inside the guitar looks ok. please help. Thanks.

That serial number comes up from the era 70,71,72. The volute was added in early '70, and the "Made In The USA" was also added sometime in 1970. It seems all the information you have been given is truthful and correct, and the guitar is most probably exactly what you've been told.

There were no "Certificates of Authenticity" issued by Gibson at the time this gutar was made, nor would Gibson issue one after the fact, so I don't know what he means by saying he'll give it to you. Maybe the dealer means he'll write one up himself which is meaningless, unless it's from one of the few notable "Vintage" dealers here in the U.S.

Archived