Gibson Brands Forums

Adding a personal touch?

mayes213

Do any of you add a personal touch or flair to your gear? I added this engraved plate to my bass. It says “To live is to die”. Of course in reference to Cliff Burton. I actually only added it to hide some “extra” sanding from the factory that left some spots that stood out way to much. But the bass played and sounded way to good to return. But I ended up liking this anyway.

Do any of you add a personal touch or flair to your gear? I added this engraved plate to my bass. It says “To live is to die”. Of course in reference to Cliff Burton. I actually only added it to hide some “extra” sanding from the factory that left some spots that stood out way to much. But the bass played and sounded way to good to return. But I ended up liking this anyway.

I'm a 'bone stock' kind of guitar player, but I actually like that addition.

It's subtle, understated, and highly personal.

:)

So, we are talking purely cosmetic things, right? On my '79 SG Standard that I bought used in '81, it already came to me with a non-functional Lyre plate. Right after getting it, I then added the chrome "Rhythm/Treble" plate and the copper switch tip. I always like its look like that ... still do. It has always been a real rock and roll machine.

4575540054_large.jpg

I'm a 'bone stock' kind of guitar player, but I actually like that addition.

It's subtle, understated, and highly personal.

:)

Yeah I don’t know if I would have gotten into playing bass as fast anyway if I wasn’t inspired by Cliff. There were other bass players that I liked at the time but when I heard Cliff it was like, yep I definitely want to play bass.

So, we are talking purely cosmetic things, right? On my '79 SG Standard that I bought used in '81, it already came to me with a non-functional Lyre plate. Right after getting it, I then added the chrome "Rhythm/Treble" plate and the copper switch tip. I always like its look like that ... still do. It has always been a real rock and roll machine.

4575540054_large.jpg

That is super nice. I wish I could get ahold of a 79 Gibson T-Bird bass.

4575540054_large.jpg

Bro, I just got one of these, spankin new: a 2019 SG Standard w/Maestro Vibrola and it is BAD-A$$...OMG, I LOVE THE GUITAR. Do you know where I could get one of the Chrome 'Rythm/Treble' plates? I looked in a few places and found none.

I will really appreciate finding one.

i love the way that bass looks. maximum cool imo [thumbup]

Close to 30 years ago I made a truss rod cover out of brass and had my initials engraved in it for my '64 Southern Jumbo. Easy enough to switch back, but since I've owned this guitar for 34 years, it's likely not going to be an issue.

I had a small plate made and I installed it on the back of the headstock on a Brazilian classical I've owned since around 2004 or 2005. Bought it for $9.99 on ebay. It was owned by a missionary and was held together with tape. Nobody will ever have to explain Trigger to me. If any guitar on the planet has ever had my heart and soul, it's this $10 junk. I have no idea why I screwed the plate onto it. It was the next thing to getting a picture of the guitar tattooed on ME I guess.

121q2r4.jpg

I have some personalization on the back of my Hopf Saturn 63 but it's NSFW.

Do any of you add a personal touch or flair to your gear?

Well, I didn't do it, but my F-50R came with emeralds inlaid on the tuning posts and bridge pins. I like 'em and left them on there. msp_thumbup.gif

f50r562.jpg

In fact, last time she was in the shop, one of the emeralds fell off one of the bridge pins and was lost! I found a 4mm cut emerald on ebay for about 5 bucks and superglued it on the pin. Matches perfectly!

... my F-50R came with emeralds inlaid on the tuning posts and bridge pins ...

They look great on such an already ornate guitar, and they match the case perefectly.

... I just got one of these, spankin new: a 2019 SG Standard w/Maestro ... Do you know where I could get one of the Chrome 'Rythm/Treble' plates? ...

I do not remember where I got the chrome R/T plate or the brass (not copper as I said earlier) tip. Congrats on the new SG Standard!

They look great on such an already ornate guitar, and they match the case perefectly.

I do not remember where I got the chrome R/T plate or the brass (not copper as I said earlier) tip. Congrats on the new SG Standard!

Thank You, IMO my new '19 'SG' Maestro is BADDER than the new 'RELIC'd/Vintage/Aged CUSTOM SHOP 'SG'(UGLY !)........its NEW and PERFECTLY CANON-esque...... maybe its not Re-Issue spec'd to 1961, but its close enough for a non-purist like myself.

I stuck with it and kept looking for the CHROME Poker-Chip and..... Viola !.....Philadelphia Luthier Tools dot com has them: 'Laser Etched' Metal w/'Write Your Own' words on it, too COOL ! Imma go w/"ROCK" on top & "ROLL" in the bottom spot....$20......THANKS for the idea....nice one !

I had my 1960 Gibson 355 pick guard engraved around 1973 and love it.

If I could figure out how to post pictures on the site I would, but I have tried all the photo sharing sites, and still can’t get the damn pictures to post.

Nice!!! What color is yours? Can you post a pic? I'd love to see it.

Hey Bro, Sooo sorry for the late reply, MY BAD....I have had to settle for posting a link to FLCKR dot com where I posted some axe pics as up-loading a picture on this GIBSON web-site is such a hassle, I am incapable of figuting it out.

BUT click this link here for a glimpse of MY 2019 'SG'STANDARD w/Maestro Vibrola in 'AGED CHERRY', and a few others are in there as well.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42327422@N07/32401016308/in/dateposted-public/

Seriously, IDK how you are able to post so many pics but I always get the 'YOU HAVE GONE OVER THE LIMIT....' blah blah...

Hey Bro, Sooo sorry for the late reply, MY BAD....I have had to settle for posting a link to FLCKR dot com where I posted some axe pics as up-loading a picture on this GIBSON web-site is such a hassle, I am incapable of figuting it out.

BUT click this link here for a glimpse of MY 2019 'SG'STANDARD w/Maestro Vibrola in 'AGED CHERRY', and a few others are in there as well.....

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Seriously, IDK how you are able to post so many pics but I always get the 'YOU HAVE GONE OVER THE LIMIT....' blah blah...

Hey Bill;

here's how to do it

click share in the bottom left corner of your flickr page (the little arrow icon), from the pop up select bbcode, highlight all the code the appears in the box, copy it. Paste this into your post. once pasted look at the code and remove everything before the 1st "img" and everything after the last "img"

and tada!

32401016308_fc8de8e630_z.jpg[/url]IMGr

Archived