Gibson Brands Forums

Have you seen this?

MR GIBS

I don't know if I could carry it off with all the bling, but the grain in the blue surfaces is unbelievable... So Mr Gibs - IMHO, you've got it going on! I think you owe it to yourself to treat yourself a little bit - and I'm pretty sure you could come up with a song or two that makes it shine ;)

Still a Maserati if you stripped it down to natural. Adding a NOS tortoise pguard or just none at all makes it even better. I could live with the inlay stuff if I had to. Hmm, I think I got it down to the $8,000 range.

Oh no! Just took another look. Tuners have to go too.

Hope you aren't reading, Ren. We're just ball busting.

Like a "cream Cake" ...

This guitar demonstrates what is technically possible, of course a fine piece of craftsmanship.

But on the other hand - you can buy about 6.600 sets of new Gibson strings for the price of this guitar. Finally it will find a place at a wealthy collector.

Thank you for the link, it is always interesting to see nice guitars.

Doc

Just so you know. Gibson had a contract with Ren for 4 super guitars a year. They were Master Museum guitars. These were not offered to the general public but they were commissioned for high end collectors and museums. They never went to dealers. Almost all of them went to the Tsumura collection. This was the biggest collection of Gibson instruments on the planet. You can get a hardcover book of the collection on Amazon for $125.00.

It is very unusual for one of these guitars to find it's way to the market. Several years ago Tsumura, who was the owner of a huge pharmaceutical company, was convicted of price fixing in Japan and his holdings were liquidated. This included his massive guitar collection. It's interesting to see these instruments finding their way back into the market.

Like most here have stated they are a bit over the top but that is what Tsumura was looking for so...…Yes they are arbitrarily priced and they are probably not worth the price to the average buyer but they are still sought after by the big guys. I'm would not be surprised to see one in SlimT's collection.

Tsumura's collection was so extensive that he had one guy that traveled the world just to do nothing but buy guitars for him. Price was no object for pristine show quality instruments.

Archived