Gibson Brands Forums

Question about strap positioning

Flashback to the 60s

Thanks for the quick and "quick" responses

I've tried the suede strap and the guitar still rolls forward.

The beer has already had time to do it's magic and----oh well

the Big Mac's didn't do it either

My anatomy does not offer a front fanny to attach a pack to, guess I'm *** backwards?

I've tried to see how real players handle it by looking at photos but since they're really good and I'm really not----

so you see the problem?

I love looking at the fretboard too, if only for the trap inlays....

I'm 6 feet tall and 145 pounds so I kind of know what you mean but I play with my guitar slightly above the belt and I have no problem seeing the frets.

I would suggest adjusting your strap until you find a position where it works. This seems to be a problem that depends on bodyshape and everyones very different in that department so I don't know if we can help you.

If you thought your SG was fake or needed new pickups we could easily help you but this ones really hard.

Good luck.

This is IMHO the biggest negative about SGs and contributes to their tendency to neck dive. Same with 335s, without the dive. Blasphemy here, on an SG you can move the strap button to the back side of the upper horn, using a shorter screw, and it will cure most of the two problems, the "flopover" for sure. If you do so, be VERY careful not to drill too far into the upper horn. Use a stopper on the drill bit.

You can have somone put a strap button on the end of the upper horn and it fixes all problems noted. However, on an SG it just looks like hell.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The sound difference between the Les Paul and SG is close enough that I might just put the SG back in it's case and leave it alone.

However, the necks feel different on both and the SG feels better, to me. I'll look into moving the strap button to a different location, but will probably try to contact Gibson customer service and see if they have any thoughts.

It's just a pain to sit on hold for so long.

Not alot of meat there, if you know what I mean.

Be careful drilling the hole to the required depth without creating a peekaboo on the front....

Suede strap. Schallers. That's as good as it gets.

Simply the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Run the strap in FRONT of the top horn like the Explorer guys do?

Another reason to love my Explorer. Depending on how I want to angle the body, I either put the strap over or under the lower bass horn. If I put it over, it pulls the guitar toward me so that i look down at it on an angle. If i run the strap under, the Explorer stays perfectly vertical.

My only advice for you SG people is lots of big macs.

This is IMHO the biggest negative about SGs and contributes to their tendency to neck dive. Same with 335s' date=' without the dive. Blasphemy here, on an SG you can move the strap button to the back side of the upper horn, using a shorter screw, and it will cure most of the two problems, the "flopover" for sure. If you do so, be VERY careful not to drill too far into the upper horn. Use a stopper on the drill bit.

You can have somone put a strap button on the end of the upper horn and it fixes all problems noted. However, on an SG it just looks like hell. [/quote']

Agreed. I have both an SG and an ES-335, and the strap button bugs me on both of them. I'm surprised that the design team let that get by them, given that other features are so thoroughly thought out. Plus, it precludes using a strap lock.

Only my LP has a button in the proper place, and it's too damn heavy to hang on a strap!

Archived