Gibson Brands Forums

How do I tell the value of the pots?

Dual P90’s, 2018 model BFG.

Are these 300k? Are they all 300k? If not how can I tell? Is it stamped on the side? The only thing stamped on the backside is the Gibson logo.

Anyway they breakup too quickly so I was going to try a different cap first, then change the volume to 500k. And leave the 300k tone.

20181227-170956.jpg

It has been a while but I think this is the correct way. If you have an electronics meter you can put it on the ohms setting. Then you put a lead on one of the outside prongs of the pot and the other lead on the middle prong. That should get you in the neighborhood of the value.

It has been a while but I think this is the correct way. If you have an electronics meter you can put it on the ohms setting. Then you put a lead on one of the outside prongs of the pot and the other lead on the middle prong. That should get you in the neighborhood of the value.

Ahh ok, and make sure it is turned all the way up, correct?

I knew there had to be a sensible way..

Something like that. Man I have done it before but it has been a while. Let me know how it goes for you.

I was able to read outside leg to outside leg on the tone pots, and I double checked a known pot. 500k for the tone.

I was unable to read the volume pots, probably because of them being all wired up and such. But they should also be 500k

I couldn’t read the caps until I took one out and it was .022, I replaced them with polyester .022’s and they sound a bit better, if I’m still unhappy I’ll try .033’s in a couple weeks.

I’m pretty close to happy. But my SG and 339 still sound better...

Hey I am glad I was at least in the neighborhood with testing it. I am glad you were able to get something accomplished.

I have not really fooled around with changing the caps on pots much. I have added them in but never swaped them out for different types of caps.

There was another hack for checking pick up resistance too.

Take a donar guitar input cord and cut off one end with about 6 inches of lead along with the 1/4 input jack. Then expose the hot and ground wires and seperate them.

Then you can plug it in to the input of your guitar and place the test leads on the exposed wires. This should give you a resistance reading on your guitar pick ups.

It is a quick way to check them without having to take a pick up completely out.

I was able to read outside leg to outside leg on the tone pots, and I double checked a known pot. 500k for the tone.

I was unable to read the volume pots, probably because of them being all wired up and such. But they should also be 500k

I couldn’t read the caps until I took one out and it was .022, I replaced them with polyester .022’s and they sound a bit better, if I’m still unhappy I’ll try .033’s in a couple weeks.

I’m pretty close to happy. But my SG and 339 still sound better...

Archived