Gibson Brands Forums

Problems with tuning stability on Gibson Les Paul Standard Hp 2018

Leo Ghigiarelli

If your guitar has the tuning keys with a metal knob this may work.

If your les paul is like mine it has locking grovers tuners. If it has the gibson deluxe with the plastic tulip keys this will not work.

Metal tuner knob keys are held on with a small screw. You can take a small screw driver and hold on to the tuning key while tightening up the screw.

Do it slowly with good easy pressure on each key.

That has helped me several times.

Good luck

I'm having a extremly anoying tuning problem with my Hp 2018.It simply won't stay in tune, 4 or 5 bends is enough to drop almost a quarter step down on the tuning. Already lubricated the aliminum nut with graphite and stringed correctly the locking tuners.

What should I do? [glare]

Just to troubleshoot here, do you fully stretch out your strings after you put them on?

If your guitar has the tuning keys with a metal knob this may work.

If your les paul is like mine it has locking grovers tuners. If it has the gibson deluxe with the plastic tulip keys this will not work.

Metal tuner knob keys are held on with a small screw. You can take a small screw driver and hold on to the tuning key while tightening up the screw.

Do it slowly with good easy pressure on each key.

That has helped me several times.

Good luck

Yeah mine has the groover locking tuners. Can you send some pictures of exactly what you are doing please?

I know this is not a locking grover but it iis similar. Do you see the little phillips head screw that attaches the tuning button to the shaft that is in this photo?

Take a small phillips screw driver that fits the small screw well. Then hold the button itself with your other hand while tightening up the little screw. If you do not hold the tuner button it will turn the peg and actually tighten the string. You want to keep the tuner button stationary while tightening the little screw.

The little screw serves two purposes. It holds the button on to the shaft and it adjust the tension of the tuner itself.

Do not over do it but just good hand tightening it up some.

You will notice a difference. It will also make the tuner stiffer while turning it. It also allows for less unwinding of the strings while bending them.

It should be better. You may want to do it in two sessions.

If it does not eliminate the problem after the first time. Just repeat the process again.

Just use common judgement while tightening the little screw. You do not want to put too much pressure on it and slip and damage your headstock with the screw driver.

I have done this many times on my own guitars and guitars for friends and clients too.

Let me know how it goes for you.

OCfpU3t.jpg

Yeah mine has the groover locking tuners. Can you send some pictures of exactly what you are doing please?

Maybe you need to add some lube to the string nut slots. Graphite works good and also "Big Bends Nut Sauce" is the name I use. If your having that many problems, ditch the strings that are on it and put a different name brand on with the gauge you prefer. Sometimes it is the strings themselves. It doesn;t matter if it is a new set that is on there. There are lame ducks on every brand. I do not know what else for you to try. Maybe someone else can chime in.

The tuners are pretty tightened up, still getting instability :(

Here is a picture of the headstock and how i'm putting the strings on

Maybe you need to add some lube to the string nut slots. Graphite works good and also "Big Bends Nut Sauce" is the name I use. If your having that many problems, ditch the strings that are on it and put a different name brand on with the gauge you prefer. Sometimes it is the strings themselves. It doesn;t matter if it is a new set that is on there. There are lame ducks on every brand. I do not know what else for you to try. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I lubricated it with loads of graphite and still nothing. I normally use Elixir 010's, put them on 3 days ago. Will try another brand of strings

The tuning of your Les Paul, especially for a model with locking tuners, should be completely stable once new strings are installed and pre-stretched. Besides worn strings, the usual suspect is a loose titanium nut—I would check its adjustment screws first and then go look for any other loose parts.

If that doesn't help, I'd bring her to a guitar technician or luthier to find out what's wrong.

PS. Looking at the picture, I would recommend cutting the string ends short at the headstock to prevent any more of those concentric scratch marks around each post.

The tuning of your Les Paul, especially for a model with locking tuners, should be completely stable once new strings are installed and pre-stretched. Besides worn strings, the usual suspect is a loose titanium nut—I would check its adjustment screws first and then go look for any other loose parts.

If that doesn't help, I'd bring her to a guitar technician or luthier to find out what's wrong.

PS. Looking at the picture, I would recommend cutting the string ends short at the headstock to prevent any more of those concentric scratch marks around each post.

Already tightened the nut and still nothing. I took to a local guitar tech and he didn't manage to find out the problem. I googled and found out these grover locking tuners aren't really good. Maybe if i re-string the guitar the old fashion way, giving that "knot" on the strings, will It work better?

Well you know things happen. I know there are lemons in everything but I have the same tuners and they are awesome. I bend the hell out of strings too and they return to pitch just fine.

It very well may be your tuners. I played another les paul with same grovers as what is on my les paul and it went out of tune very badly like what you are describing on your guitar.

So you could try another set and see what happens.

Already tightened the nut and still nothing. I took to a local guitar tech and he didn't manage to find out the problem. I googled and found out these grover locking tuners aren't really good. Maybe if i re-string the guitar the old fashion way, giving that "knot" on the strings, will It work better?

Quite the contrary—the Grover locking tuners are excellent. I have them myself on my Les Paul Standard and wouldn't wanna miss them. A long-distance analysis can only get you so far, but I would make doubly sure there are no loose parts anywhere on the guitar including the tuners. Perhaps posting more pictures will reveal the culprit.

Did you buy the guitar preowned or brand new?

PS. Often overlooked: if the pickups are too close to the strings, they can pull them out of tune as well. But I'd be surprised if that's the case here.

... the Grover locking tuners are excellent. I have them myself on my Les Paul Standard and wouldn't wanna miss them...

Roger that ... My 2010 Trad Pro has them, and it is a rarity to ever tune it up. It almost never goes out of tune. Most of my guitars stay in tune pretty well, but the LP seemingly never goes out of tune. The suggestion about stretching the strings is a good one; that could explain the problem.

Your headstock shouldn’t look that mucked up. How long have you been using and re-using that same set of strings?

I doubt the guitar is the problem, education and/or a good guitar tech is.

Watch as many YouTube videos on stringing a guitar with and without locking tuners and gently stretching strings.

I stretch each string about three times each and I’m solid with non-locking tuners. Locking tuners I’m set with one stretch.

Your nut and saddles probably need to be filed correctly as well. This is one of the first thing a “guitar tech” worth a **** should have done. And you can tell him I said that.

I have $100 guitars that stay in tune.

I bought the guitar from Chicago Music Exchange a few months ago brand new when I was back in America, but didn't get a chance to test it before buying. When I got it, it was perfect, hardly got out of tune...This is the first time i changed the strings on it...Eveything is tighened up, besides some screws on the back of the tuners which are spinning false, but the ones that are doing that are the e, B, A and E, except the G and B which are out of tune, which makes it alot strange.

I burned a couple of sets of strings trying diferent way to string the guitar....putting it through the hole all the way back and just tightening the tuners, winding the strings like in regular tuners and locking them, everything, it simply wont go.

The pickups are a little far from the strings, nothing strong enough to pull the strings back.

It came from factory with the grover tuners, but them I bought those Gforce tuners to try it out but didn't like them, when I put back the grovers the problems with stability came, and are here since...

It came from factory with the grover tuners, but them I bought those Gforce tuners to try it out but didn't like them, when I put back the grovers the problems with stability came, and are here since...

That explains a lot. Well, it would seem that the Grovers haven't been properly re-installed then.

There is a saying in the USA and it goes like this

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I just read what your problem was and I knew it had to be something else and you finally spoke up after we all chimed in trying to help. You should have said this at the beginning and we all would have known.

You are going to have to reinstall the tuners into the correct peg head holes that it came with originally and install them the correct way too. You need to take note when you do of which ones are which. You probably mixed them up and did not take note on what tuners went to what string when you removed them.

And here I was feeling bad for you for spending almost 3000.00 on a guitar you could not play as you said in your comment.

Gibson would not sell a 3000.00 guitar with crap tuners. Chicago Music Exchange is a very well known dealer here and if gibson did install crap tuners I am sure they would have took note and fix the problem before the guitar was sold. Heck there are les Paul's from the 1950's with the original tuners they came with and they still work great.

So it looks like it was not the tuners at all but just a bad decision to fix something that did not need it. Sorry man but good luck.

I would place tape on them and number the them. You may only have to swap 1 or 2 around and not all three on each side. Obviously 3 are for the left and 3 for the right side of the head stock.

Generally the stiffer turning tuners go with the larger diameter strings.

So with that said I would place the least resistant turning tuner on the high treble string and so on with the 3 on the left and do the same on the right.

Have fun

Good luck.

How do I know which tuners go where? Whats the indication on it?

Archived