Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird... Picky about the guard

Holiday Hoser

Is there anybody that makes a replacement pickguard for the Hummingbird that is period correct with the right thickness?

Here mark plays a '64

Look at the rolled edge and thickness of at least 1/16"

My allparts replacement looks like a credit card with too many charges. Actually the thickness of a credit card would be fine

it looks more like the paper bill I get every month.

I strongly recommend these guys. They make authentic period correct pickguards for Hummingbirds and J-200's with top notch material, hand carfted and non fading.

Ive used them to buy a new pickguard for my J-150 and its been utterly splendid.

http://www.mv-customguitars.com/product/hummingbird-vintage-red-style-pickguard-gold/

Almost impossible to get an "authentic" pickguard such as you found on pre-1963 Gibsons these days. Celluloid plastic is not only tough to get but there is no profit in it after dealing with the insurance liability. Axiom is one of the few places I know of that still sells celluloid. While they do sell pre-cut pickguards they have nothing though that would work for a Hummingbird.

I strongly recommend these guys. They make authentic period correct pickguards for Hummingbirds and J-200's with top notch material, hand carfted and non fading.

Ive used them to buy a new pickguard for my J-150 and its been utterly splendid.

http://www.mv-customguitars.com/product/hummingbird-vintage-red-style-pickguard-gold/

Very Nice and thanks for the info. Are they in Czech Republic? What is that in American greenbacks do you think?

Wouldn't a thinner guard have a less dampening effect of tone?

If no guard sounds best, wouldn't less guard sound better?

I'm just curious about the science.

This topic has been much discussed without any final conclusion. But many think, including my self the thicker guard is what gives the Hummigbird the soft, a bit muffled nectar tone.

This topic has been much discussed without any final conclusion. But many think, including my self the thicker guard is what gives the Hummigbird the soft, a bit muffled nectar tone.

In any case, a Hummingbird without its distinctive pickguard just looks...wrong.

Here is the reply from the contact form on the website. Not really outrageous price I guess for something beautifully handcrafted and sent from Greece. I'll think on it though before jumping in.

Dear Mr Holiday Hoser,

Thank you for your interest about our custom MV pickguards.

Total cost in US dollars is 172$ including shipping cost to US.

To proceed with the order we can either send you paypal request or you can follow up on our web site.

Please take into consideration that our products are individually handcrafted, one of a kind creations and not factory manufactured. Designs may have subtle variations from one piece to the next due to materials and handcrafting. Therefore each piece has its own desirable uniqueness. All products are made individually, so production time can vary.

if you have more questions please do not hesitate to contact us

best regards & Happy new year

Vardakis Manolis

Here is the reply from the contact form on the website. Not really outrageous price I guess for something beautifully handcrafted and sent from Greece. I'll think on it though before jumping in.

Dear Mr Holiday Hoser,

To proceed with the order we can either send you paypal request or you can follow up on our web site.

Please take into consideration that our products are individually handcrafted, one of a kind creations and not factory manufactured. Designs may have subtle variations from one piece to the next due to materials and handcrafting. Therefore each piece has its own desirable uniqueness. All products are made individually, so production time can vary.

Vardakis Manolis

They look really nicely done, and I believe the hand-engraving technique is similar to the way the vintage ones were created. An engraved pickguard pretty much has to be thicker than a conventional pickguard, but that's part of the charm of the 'bird.

Wouldn't a thinner guard have a less dampening effect of tone?

If no guard sounds best, wouldn't less guard sound better?

I'm just curious about the science.

Any skilled luthier or guitar doc who works with these things will tell you it matters.

Then again they may or may not be professionally biased.

I removed the (thick) guard from my TV Bird in Oct. 2016 and noticed a clear difference.

To avoid the placebo-trap I put it back and forth around 20 times over a series of days, taking advantage of the still moist glue -

and the pattern rose beyond discussion :

The top is dampened by the plast (whatever) material. The vibe is somewhat held back and the guitar gets freer without it.

I'd even support EA's glaze-theory.

Experienced the same when gettin' rid of the thin non-original guard on my 1953 J-45. Only in a light version.

And btw. like both creatures in their natural symmetrical beauty.

Dear Mr Holiday Hoser,

Vardakis Manolis

I contacted them too. They said $183. For a J-200 guard. Think I’ll just keep the one I have . A few missing flowers doesn’t bother me that much!

I contacted them too. They said $183. For a J-200 guard. Think I’ll just keep the one I have . A few missing flowers doesn’t bother me that much!

I don't know .. to me its a lot bigger differene than just a few flowers, make up your own mind. Here is the before and after for my J-150.

IMG_0432_zpsopg34ylh.jpg

IMG_0444_zpscjujmcpk.jpg

I don't know .. to me its a lot bigger differene than just a few flowers, make up your own mind. Here is the before and after for my J-150.

IMG_0432_zpsopg34ylh.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac200/TaylorPrague/IMG_0444_zpscjujmcpk.jpg[/

Mine is 20 years old. It’s awesome, & I just don’t care about the freaking pick guard. Perhaps you have a little more money than I do. I live on a fixed income, & have to worry about the little things in life, like eating!

Mine is 20 years old. It’s awesome, & I just don’t care about the freaking pick guard. Perhaps you have a little more money than I do. I live on a fixed income, & have to worry about the little things in life, like eating!

Fair enough, cant argue with that.

Archived