Gibson Brands Forums

Help Me Identify My Sg Model

speakez

hey guys I recently Traded one of my guitars for this Gibson SG, ever since i've had it I have been trying to find out what model(special,standard, etc) and cant find a sing thing with the same finish, its like a stained satin black stain(no gloss)

Serial # 00495303, i believe that makes it April 9 2005. So let me know if you can help me out!

PS my first thought is that it was a FADED, but as far as i know faded sg's didnt come in black, also i replaced the truss rod cover with a plain black one, now im thinking i want the sg logo on it so im going to change it back and also changed the knobs to black instead of silver tops

PICS:

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5883.jpg

photo-2.jpg

THANKS EVERYONE!

I'm guessing a faded that's been painted black.

nope, this was bought directly from Guitar Center( i believe, maybe musiciansfriend) ive known the original owner for quite sometime and it came this way from the factory, hes not capeable of striping a guitar to paint it black LOL

Since there's no mention on record anywhere of a faded black Gibson SG, perhaps it was painted as an experiment of some kind at Guitar Center and then sold as is. Was it brand new or a floor model? Some paint-sniffin' slap-happy staff drone may have busted out a can of Krylon and went to town. It's a possibility.

looks like a swamp ash version honestly... kind of like an SG Voodoo' date=' but in the form of an SG Special...

that grain doesn't look like a mahogany body... that's why my guess is swamp ash... but who knows... i'm just theorizing... :-k

[/quote']

Thanks man, I'm going to take a better pic of the grain for you just to be sure!

Also it doesn't look or feel like krylon paint, but more of a gloss black with a satin clear shot over it, maybe a gloss clear but no lacquer like my epi 66 RI in HC

There were limited runs of "worn black" ones in the faded series (along with "worn yellow" and "worn white"). So it's probably legit. Look in the control and pickup cavities, and if it's all the same color with no hint of red or brown it's all good.

H-Bomb

There were limited runs of "worn black" ones in the faded series (along with "worn yellow" and "worn white"). So it's probably legit. Look in the control and pickup cavities' date=' and if it's all the same color with no hint of red or brown it's all good.

H-Bomb[/quote']

I checked and yes it's all black!

But I checked on the worn finish

And if it was a worn finish wouldn't it have "wear" spot all around the guitar? Cause mine doesn't

The only SG special in worn black I found was the 3 pickup faded special, the finish had wear spots on the finsh down to the wood, my guitar does not

If anyone has the stock pic or can find it that would help, but I don't think is a faded worn black, cause it isn't worn at all

• 9 months later...

Hey guys,

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to chime in about this "faded black" SG.

I thought I had seen one of these myself some time ago, but I can't recall where or when.

Currently though, Gibson is making these in the SG and Les Paul Studio exclusively for Guitar Centers anniversary.

At least that's what I was told Saturday night(Dec. 12th '09) by a Guitar Center employee who was playing a Gibson "Faded Black" Les Paul Studio at a local bar. I had played the SG in "Faded Black" last week at Guitar Center.

As for anything that was produced earlier than this year, as I stated before, I know I've seen at least the SG before this current run for G.C., but can't recall when or where.

Just wondering if the owner or anyone on here ever figured out what model it is and how many were made.

Roddey

Archived