Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Dove Tobacco burst

gluedblevins

22 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

My mother passed away in March and one of the things I've been unsuccessfully trying to sell is this oak china cabinet. maybe I should market it as a humidifying chamber so I can sell it

That would be a fine idea. Just sorry to hear how it came to be with you. 

11 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

And here we see him caught after a brief but fierce battle. 

cife8rb.jpg

Nice diorama you've captured, there. Quite good photo, too, with the lighting and shadow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

I had no fun playing with my toy soldiers when I was a kid. Not a single shot fired, ever. They were all neutral.

All fine Lars  son of the father in the air force you are a man of inner as outer peace 

Pretty. My son is dying to start playing the one I bought. But, it's like a decompression stop on the way up from diving. There are no short cuts. It has to stay in the humidification chamber.  Giving it another two weeks and then it's off to the luthier.

1 hour ago, Cabarone said:

Hey! I gots one a dose... I think mine's a '91...tobacco burst, you say? I can't keep track of them all...

Dove1.jpg

Dove2.jpg

Maybe the finish and neck joint but that is  is where the similarity ends.  Under the hood your Dove is a totally different best than one built in 1980 which will have the typical Norlin-era bracing.  

• 7 months later...

1138642048_GibsonDove1.thumb.jpg.7ee379cb42a549f6785fcacd525a143e.jpgMy 1991 Gibson Dove vintage sunburst # 92061026. (# 206 = 25th July), bought new in the fall of the same year. Probably one of the 83 built in the Bozeman factory that year.
flamed maple back and side, nickel Gibson-Deluxe tuners. Sweet and powerful sound. Incredible sustain and super low action.

Gibson Dove  5.jpg

4 minutes ago, JBassman said:

1138642048_GibsonDove1.thumb.jpg.7ee379cb42a549f6785fcacd525a143e.jpgMy 1991 Gibson Dove vintage sunburst # 92061026. (# 206 = 25th July), bought new in the fall of the same year. Probably one of the 83 built in the Bozeman factory that year.
flamed maple back and side, nickel Gibson-Deluxe tuners. Sweet and powerful sound. Incredible sustain and super low action.

Gibson Dove  5.jpg

Looks great!

And welcome aboard.

Edited by j45nick
added additional thought

I currently own a 1990 Tobacco burst Dove that I purchased in the summer of 1991. The orange label states it was manufactured in the Bozeman facility. This guitar was idolized by all my son's Band mates in the  nineties  and through the twenties. I passed along this guitar to my son,  and with his passing back in 2015 the guitar will be handed down to his son on his 18-th Birthday next year. The guitar is still in great shape, with absolutely no finish checking. I know, since I just replaced the HumidiPaks last week.

I must say for the twenty years I got to play her, she was the best sounding guitar I ever owned. I have owned  a Ovation Legend, Hummingbird, J-45, J-50, a12-string Gibson Jubilee, and a multitude of non descript guitars from my youth.  None Of those ever played as great sounding and ease to play as my 1990 Dove.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anybody know the difference between tobacco burst and autumn burst? I remember seeing a guy play with a Dove and I believe he said it was autumn burst and said it was a rare finish. Also, do your tobacco bursts have a burst on back or just a black back? I am thinking of picking a Dove up - what years would they have had a burst on back or just painted?

Adam

On 1/31/2021 at 6:18 PM, JBassman said:

Hi - Doves are amazing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   1991 - would that mean nitrocellulose or fullerplast finish. Anyway, , , probably sounds amazing and more than well broken in. 

1 hour ago, adamel111 said:

Anybody know the difference between tobacco burst and autumn burst?

Could the autumn burst be a bit more vivid toward red'n'orange. . 

I just ran up on this old thread.

seems like you can’t swing a dead cat in here without hitting a Tobacco-Burst Dove!

of course, my old Dove is Tobacco-Burst. 

my bride bought it for me in 1980 (I think).

it’s a wonderful guitar, and was always my b”go to” guitar until my staff gave me a J-50 when I retired.  Mine seems a little darker than the ones pictured in here…but looks about the same.   I’m working on an iPad, and not sure how to post photos from it.  But I can certainly post a video of me playing it on here!

21 hours ago, adamel111 said:

Anybody know the difference between tobacco burst and autumn burst? I remember seeing a guy play with a Dove and I believe he said it was autumn burst and said it was a rare finish. Also, do your tobacco bursts have a burst on back or just a black back? I am thinking of picking a Dove up - what years would they have had a burst on back or just painted?

Adam

Mine has the Sunburst on the back, the neck, and the sides also.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:57 AM, Gibson Artist said:

While i am not a fan of the tobacco colour, the sound of that Dove blows the Bird away here. Sure, the bird is loud and a cannon, but the subtle beauty of the Dove and its smooth, mellow feel just sounds like heaven to my ears.

As much as I want to love the tone my Hummingbird more,  I have to say the Dove's warmth, clarity and projection wins out almost every time.

1 hour ago, EuroAussie said:

As much as I want to love the tone my Hummingbird more,  I have to say the Dove's warmth, clarity and projection wins out almost every time.

Yes - you can almost be categorized as a convert.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Guess you will stand as a crown-witness when it comes to identifying and understanding the difference between the 2.                                                                                                                                                                                                A deliberate thought and splendid choice from Gibson - which especially becomes obvious with faded steel. 

In other wordsBe glad you still have the TV Bird, , , , what year is it from btw - 2014 ?

11 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes - you can almost be categorized as a convert.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Guess you will stand as a crown-witness when it comes to identifying and understanding the difference between the 2.                                                                                                                                                                                                A deliberate thought and splendid choice from Gibson - which especially becomes obvious with faded steel. 

In other wordsBe glad you still have the TV Bird, , , , what year is it from btw - 2014 ?

2011 TV Bird .. Dove is 2002.  

Gotta say I just love looking at the colours and changing burst intensity across the day on the Hummingbird ... its almost enough

• Like 1