Gibson Brands Forums

1952 Blonde L7C - is there such a thing

Kripke

I've located a 1952 L7C Blonde archtop guitar - it struck me as being a bit curious. Does anyone here know if gibson made a blonde L7C? I've asked the seller for the serial number and am awaiting their reply - until then any additional information people on the forum can provide for me would be great.

Gibson added the option of a natural finish on the L-7 in 1939. Although the model continued to evolve until around 1942, I would assume that it remained available in sunburst and natural. Usually Gibson added an "N" to the model number to denote a factory natural finish (L-7CN), which would be written on the paper label under the bass side f-hole along with the serial number.

A '52 natural L-7 would have a label that should read something like:

L-7CN, with a serial number somewhere around A-10000.

Post any further info you get and I'll see what else I can tell you. I've got a 1947 L-7 sunburst (pictured on the far left of my avatar), and it is by far my favorite archtop I've ever owned.

Looks like a '52 L-7C to me, with the addition of a D'Armond Guitar Mic. The tailpiece and tuners are correct and most likely original. I don't know about the pickguard as I'm not as familiar with the cutaway model. The label says what it should for '52, maybe they hadn't started using the "N" designation yet for natural finishes.

I would assume the finish is original from the "ducktail" on the back of the neck at the headstock. Although the sunburst ones had the back of the headstock painted black with the ducktail, it was not very prominent due to the brown staining of the neck. For the neck to have been sanded down around this, or been repainted black is not likely.

A closeup pic of the front of the headstock might add further details, and I would also request a closeup of the back of the headstock, bridge, and neck to body joint just for your own inspection and piece of mind.

Beautiful guitar, at the right price I'm sure you'd not be diappointed.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I Jut Wanted To Give You Some Info On The Topic, I Live In Derry In Northern Ireland, I Have An Uncle Who Purchased A Gibson Blonde From A Musical Supplier He Seen I An Add In The Local Newspaper, He Purchased the Blonde Anyway For A Reasonably Good Price Back In 1958 Or Something Like That, He Moved To Toronto,Canada In The 60's.

I Met Up With Him Last Summer And He Was Talking Too Me About His Blonde, He Said And Quote "I Got It In The Newspaper I Sent 300 Pounds In An Envelope To The Address It Said On The Page, It Said "Limited Edition".

Although His Is A Les Paul Model I Aint Sure What Year It Was Made,Just Thought I'd Lay My Thoughts On The Topic.....

• 13 years later...

I own several Gibson guitars (Vintage).   1)  1959 Les Paul "Honeyburst";  2)  1960 Les Paul Special;  3) 1965 335;  4) 1965 J-45;  4) 1952 L-7CN

Among those and several other collectible guitars, the L-7CN is my favorite guitar to play.   It is strung with flat-wounds.  Butter.

Thanks for the interesting thread.