Gibson Brands Forums

LG-1 vs LG-0

Interesse

Hello everybody,

I would like to acquire an LG-1 but prices are a bit high for me. I was hoping to find a nice one under $1000. So I have been looking at the LG-0, they seem to be cheaper.

Can anybody explain me the differences between theses 2 guitars. Is the LG-1 better sounding, better quality, etc., i.e. the difference in price justified?

Is it worth to buy a LG-0 should I just be patient a keep looking for an LG-1?

I would be great to have your expert opinions.

Thank you ever so much

Jean-Frederic

LG-0s are all-mahogany (top, too), mostly ladder-braced although a few very early ones may have been X-braced. I believe all of the spruce-topped LG-1s are ladder braced. I've heard that the mahogany LG-0 can be a very warm, nice sounding guitar. Some people like the LG-1, too, and they are worth about twice as much as the LG-0. But in general the ladder-bracing is lightly regarded compared to the LG-2 and LG-3's X-bracing. The values of all the LG guitars has risen steadily in this decade, especially the -2s and -3s. All you can do is keep looking and try to snipe one on Ebay, or check Gbase.com every few days to find dealer's examples. I think the LG-0 will be your best bet for the money. All-mahogany guitars are quite nice, in my experience. I have a Martin 000-15S which is amazing. Leo Kottke plays one on occasion, and it's not an expensive guitar.

InterEsse, If you find an LG1 that is in good shape - it's probably worth $1K. Since they were in the lower priced Gibson group 30+ years ago, some kids bought them and didn't take care of them. Since you are specifically looking at LGs, I know you are already aware of the niche they fill in terms of 'tone'. Many seek the ladder braced sound for blues, etc. I personally would prefer rosewood b&s over all mahogany for a fuller sound. (Also they look better to me.) Don't bother paying extra for an original cardboard alligator case. A standard classical guitar case fits. The original bridges were black plastic, many replace them with ebony - but not worth it unless lifting. Luthier should replace bridge plate underneath at same time. Easier upgrade - replace cheap plastic saddle with bone. G'luck.

There is an LG-0 on Ebay, about 35 miles from my home:

Ebay auction #370165428626

I tried to go look at it when I was nearby, but never made it (the store was hidden.) Right now the price is still low, I'd keep an eye on it if I were you. It has the plastic bridge, so it is a 62-66. Top book is in the $675 - $950 range.

Archived