Gibson Brands Forums

Sticky Hercules Stands Falling Apart...

Murph

I've heard of this before, and I've owned 2 Hercules Stands for a decade or so. One of mine was the sticky plastic I've read about. Being the Redneck Survivalist that I am, I simply wrapped the area where it clamped with duct tape and went on about my business.

Another thread peaked my interest the other day after seeing a picture of one that literally disintegrated, so I unwrapped the duct tape to have a look. When the tape let go, it just fell apart in my hand.

Jw0znGo.jpg

I have emailed the Company, word on the street is they are making it right and replacing the stands. None of my Gibsons were injured.

I will keep you all updated if they do indeed replace the stand.

They sent me a new one. I wrapped the sticky adjustment mechanism in electrical tape, and continued to use it. However, I just checked, and the large thumbscrew down by the tripod has also turned into a sticky mess, so that stand may have to go out in the trash.

I love the stands, other than that issue. I sent a polite email to the company, and they sent me a new stand, no questions asked. That was about two years ago.

By the way, that sticky stuff is tenacious, and nasty. I got it off my hands with 3M adhesive remover, which is mostly a mix of naphtha and xylol, and is not good for your skin.

I like there stands also, I have 5 that I bought used. Two had the sticky height adjustment part,and the knob on the leg release. I removed the height adjuster ( It disintegrated ) and ran a 1/4-20 self taping screw in the hole that holds height, good to go now. But they don't go they stay at home

Any way of telling if someone has one of the chances of falling apart ones ?

If you've had it more than a couple of years, and the plastic parts haven't gotten sticky, you're probably OK. The one of mine which broke down was one I purchased in 2012. By 2015, it was a sticky mess. I had another that I purchased maybe a year later that is still fine.

On the ones that broke down, the parts had a rubbery feel originally. The good ones feel more like hard plastic. It's only the knob on the tripod adjuster and the height extension grip on the main shaft that go bad. The parts that the guitar touches seem fine. For the tripod adjuster knob, you can buy something almost identical in the "odd parts and fastenings" section at Lowes or Home Depot in the US, or a good hardware store elsewhere. The threads appear to be 1/4-20 (haven't tested that to be sure) which may be problematic outside the US.

I wonder if it's partially due to a chemical breakdown with the material and if it has any adverse effects with a guitar's finish. Some of the older walllhangers (from various companies) could leave a permanent stain on a guitar just beneath the headstock. I've got a Hercules stand that's several years old, but I've rarely used it. Just stands in the corner with nothing on it. It looks and feels pretty strong..... Glad that the company seems to be on-top of the situation.

I had two of these fail, both the 3-guitar version. Yes, the handles became very sticky. I had purchased them at the same time and they failed within a couple of weeks of each other. On both occasions, I walked into my guitar room to see the handle lying on the floor a few feet from the stand, with the extension collapsed. Fortunately, there were no guitars hanging on them at the time.

I opted not to seek replacements.

Sticky situation aside - what is it about these stands that everyone likes?

model GS414B guitar stand:

Good design

Sturdy construction

Compatible with nitro finishes

Compact when folded for storage

Holds the guitar securely in place

Easily adjusted for different guitars

Hercules is real good about replacing these defective models. Simple on-line sign up and soon you get a new model.msp_thumbup.gif

Except when they go out of warranty.

This Hercules stand with the lock in holder has saved my guitars countelss of times, its been the best guitar related investment I ever made.

With that, eah of those stands has failed, where the lock in bit would fail, and its almost always after the 2 year warranty period.

https://www.thomann.de/cz/hercules_stands_hcgs_414b_guitar_stand.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAyMHhBRBIEiwAkGN6fJ-F_y6f1h0AtOZEDpH6Vy54yw_5F2XtTjq3nuDyfNno01D23TlsbhoCt8sQAvD_BwE

btw: Ive never experienced the issue that Murph and John mention

model GS414B guitar stand:

Good design

Sturdy construction

Compatible with nitro finishes

Compact when folded for storage

Holds the guitar securely in place

Easily adjusted for different guitars

Yes, this is the one i just metnioned, ecxept every single one of them broke to an extent, thats about 4 units now.

Of all the guitar stands I've owned/used over the years, this one has been the most reliable in many ways. Small enough to pack for gigs and store out of the way at the house; very stable; low-profile and unobtrusive on a stage; no plastic to degrade and fall apart........most excellent piece of gear. Highly recommended. [thumbup]

Archived