Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 Search is Over

jbear

I posted this in another forum as well, so if you see it there...that's why.

Well...if you followed my last post, then you know I've been 175 shopping for a while. I almost had a '97...then an '06, but...I ended up coming across a listing for a blonde VOS. It was priced low enough to consider, but there were some red flags. The tuning keys were replaced with StewMac's and there were a couple of filled spots from strap buttons. In the pictures the PUP covers looked way to shiny to be aged MHS. Anyway, the seller was reputable, and put up with a ton of questions. Last straw was that the site where it was listed knocked 25% off for a short interval. I saw that as I was crashing, and decided that if it lasted through the night...I'd take the chance. It was there in the morning, so...couldn't afford not to do it.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">It showed up yesterday...after travelling for a week from Cali. Another cause for pause...an archtop in the system for a week. How could that end well?<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">First observation...the guitar in the case must weigh 20-25lbs. Open it up...pretty beautiful looking guitar. If it weighs 6.5lbs...I'd be surprised. Closer to 6 I imagine, but I will weigh it. Gibson makes a hell of an archtop case. So upon inspection...nothing broken, missing, or FUBAR'ed. A pleasant surprise. PUP covers were well aged...just didn't photograph that way. It was strung with rounds, so...they went immediately replaced by Thomastik 12 flats. I set the bridge and tuned to pitch. It took about a half an hour to settle.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">Two or three hours on it now, and here's what I observe:<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">-Love the neck carve. I like fat necks (335 59 is very sweet to me).<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">-Acoustic sound is huge and very detailed. I could play it without an amp.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">-Amped (tried through a DRRI, Carr Hammerhead mkll, and a Blues Jr (BF Mod)...it's very warm and dynamic. It's brighter than I thought it would be even with the tone rolled off. Not too bright...just brighter than some others I've played. Could be the MHS PUP's, about which I know nothing. Pretty sure that PUP height, pole pieces, amp eq or a pedal can easily take care of that if needed. I've found I have more luck darkening a bright guitar than brightening a dark one. I was able to cop all of the tones I attempted with very little difficulty, and that was on the fly. I'm sure I can do more with more time. Everything I tried sounded sweet and had depth. No mud in the bass notes and not ice-picky on the bridge PUP...which I might actually use since it does sound good.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">-The fretwork is AWESOME! Smooth ends...level...not a dead spot on the board. I think Ibanez does some of the best production fretwork in the business...this is right up there. Maybe someone worked it previously, but if not...Gibson did good.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">-Nut...really well filed nylon nut. Maybe the first Gibson I've had that doesn't ping...yet. My 59 335 has nylon...it pings (I'm getting to it). Again...previous owner????? Don't care...it's good now.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">-Tuners...they gotta go. They look nice and hold but don't feel nearly as smooth as Klusons, Tonepros...etc.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">-Rosewood bridge...I like the sound...haven't gotten it intonated up the neck yet. I got so into playing it that didn't feel like stopping to do it. It's not way off, but...it's off. Have to do it before I try to play with anyone or they'll kill me. For that reason I wish I had put a TOM on it right away, but...I do want to try the RW vibe for a while.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">Okay...that's the skinny. This one is special...lightweigh, open, responsive...guess I got lucky cuz it could've gone sideways as easy as not.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">

No idea how you post pix here, so...travel iffin' your of the mind:

Archived