Gibson Brands Forums

Home Grown Guitar Setup Guide

JacobZ06

Over the years, I have done my own guitar setups. For string action and pickup settings, I found it much easier to use a digital micrometer depth gauge, by taking the measurement from the top of string (TOS) instead of the bottom of string (BOS) . To do this, I simply add the thickness of the string to the recommended BOS height given by manufacturers.

I have a micrometer like this one, which also shows fractions of an inch:

https://www.amazon.ca/Neiko-01407A-Electronic-Digital-Extra-Large/dp/B000GSLKIW/ref=asc_df_B000GSLKIW/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292962791939&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12536325350565069859&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001504&hvtargid=pla-434402902073&th=1

The following setup table provides settings for a variety of Fender and Gibson instruments (Squier and Epiphone also). It provides neck relief, string action and pickup settings, with inches and millimeters shown. The settings for the Epiphone were provided by Gibson USA.

Use at your own risk.

46563996482_9eaec0beba_o.jpg

Here is one more guide I find useful:

46564586432_261155db86_o.jpg

Jacob

Over the years, I have done my own guitar setups. For string action and pickup settings, I found it much easier to use a digital micrometer depth gauge, by taking the measurement from the top of string (TOS) instead of the bottom of string (BOS) . To do this, I simply add the thickness of the string to the recommended BOS height given by manufacturers.

The following setup table provides settings for a variety of Fender and Gibson instruments (Squier and Epiphone also). It provides neck relief, string action and pickup settings, with inches and millimeters shown. The settings for the Epiphone were provided by Gibson USA.

Use at your own risk.

46563996482_9eaec0beba_o.jpg

Jacob

Thanks Jacob, this one will come in handy.

As I've gotten older and given a $hit less about how I "sound", and more like I "feel", I've used Dan Erlewine's measurements as a guide. That said, when I do decide to really "set up" one of my guitars, I'll also refer to this. Thanks for the time and effort put into it and for posting.

Archived