Gibson Brands Forums

Crack in the back has developed on my AJ ! Gibson quality going down the tubes?

allanj

I just got this guitar a few days ago, it was perfect last night but today when I opened the case I saw 4 of these lines on the rosewood back! It seems to be starting from the inside I can see hairline cracks. Bummer!

I thought this guitar was a keeper. It looks like I will have to exchange it and hope for a same initial quality. My study is humidified and it even has a dampit that I refill everyday the other guitar which is a Martin seems fine. Too bad cause it played and looked soo good.](*,) Have you guys seen or experienced anything like this before?

IMG_3120.jpg

The crack has not affected the clear coat yet, there are 4 visible hairline cracks underneath the clear coat and when I look inside I see long hairline cracks. It was perfect last night when I put it away. I think they did not let the wood cure long enough, not sure but I'm not having much luck. First it was the Hummingbird fiasco now it's this cracking issue. Again, I just got this brand new a few days ago. is this another instance of the Gibson quality going down? I'm starting to wonder...

Sorry to hear about the problems Allanj... My AJ has had no problems since I have had it over the last couple years. It is an 05 model. I would assume that since you just got it, you will be able to swap out for one with no problems. Please keep us posted on how this gets resolved. I am guessing it was more a problem that happend after it left Gibson and before it got to you. I would also call Gibson and ask them how best to resolve the issue.

I just talked to my luthier about your AJ he said that Rosewood is much much harder and way more susceptible to cracking than mahogany or other tone woods. He has seen many many problems with Martins and other boutique guitars made of rosewood over the years! So its not just a Gibson problem. So sorry to hear though!!

suburude

I got an RMA and shipped it back to the merchant. I spoke to a local merchant and he said wait till the weather gets a little milder then order it. He said this winter has been rough for guitar makers and it could be because of the temp. fluctuations I did not ask for anymore details but I shipped it back out today. I have my room set at 45% humidity and just making sure my Martin stays happy and use that guitar for now. Anyone try any of those composite guitars?:-({|==D> B)

Archived