Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Les Paul Tribute a good buy?

yoshiii1

Are the 2018 Les Paul Tributes worth buying?

I want to buy a Gibson Les Paul but don’t have lots of money. Looking the Tribute. Good guitar? How about the pickups?

I am deciding between a Epiphone Lucille and the Tribute. I want both.

Will play music type from The Cure to Sound Garden to Sade.

• Upvote 1

I want to buy a Gibson Les Paul but don’t have lots of money. Looking the Tribute. Good guitar? How about the pickups?

The consensus is that this is a really good guitar.

I don't think you could go wrong by acquiring one.

:)

• Upvote 3

YUP.. Tributes are awesome if you don't mind the lack of bling (shiny thick finish, binding or MOP headstock logo).. Also the 2018 still has the Trapizoid inlays.. The 2019s have dots... not that it really makes much difference.

Apart from that they are made in the same place by the same people who do the Standards and all USA models.. Same electronics and the pickups are Gibsons standard pickups really. They have been known to use that model on Standards, Studios and even Custom models.. So yeah, pretty good :)

This is my one from 2011.. Love it as much as my Standard and Classic (and P90s RULE :D )

GenDvu0.jpg

Edited by Rabs
  • Upvote 2

Absolutely they are, and the Les Paul will likely work better for you than the Lucille based on the music you said you will be playing. Definitely grab that 2018 with the trapezoid inlays -- it looks so much better than dots IMO. As for the pickups, I am a big fan of Gibson pickups in general. You can't go wrong there.

When you get your new guitar (whatever it is), please post some pics of it. Good luck!

• Upvote 3

I have a 2017 Gold Top Tribute. Really nice guitar for the money. Replaced the Nashville Bridge with an ABR non-wire bridge and locking Kluson Revolution tuners. The nut needed a little work to keep things in tune. Highly recommend the Tribute model. Just needs a little TLC...but don't they all!

• Upvote 1

BRO, You can go on REVERB . com and get a 2016 LES PAUL STUDIO FADED for $700, on the high side....and THEY ARE CANON's as they have the BURST=BUCKER PRO Pick-up's, the same as my 2017 Lester STANDARD.

the price increase's that GIBSON has come out with in 2018 & 2019 really make buyin new GIBSON's an expensive proposition......even for the POS "Tribute's" A/K/A STUDIO's. !I'M not a fan of buyin' used guitars but GIBSON's price hikes are making it an attractive alternative. I mean payin damn near $2,000.00 for an SG STANDARD is pretty frikkin nutty ! Especially when I am considering that my 2017 SG STANDARD was $1299 delivered to my door and(I AM SORRY I DID NOT BUY 2 OF THE 2017 SG Standard's, IMO best SG GIBSON USA has issued in @ least 10 years) its badder than any of the 2019 SG's with the exception of a few EXCLUSIVE SG's that are only on certain on-line retailer's web-site's..

• Upvote 2

... my 2017 SG STANDARD was $1299 delivered to my door and (I AM SORRY I DID NOT BUY 2 OF THE 2017 SG Standard's, IMO best SG GIBSON USA has issued in @ least 10 years) its badder than any of the 2019 SG's with the exception of a few EXCLUSIVE SG's that are only on certain on-line retailer's web-site's..

Just FYI -- Guitar Center recently lowered the price of 2018 SG Standards in Cherry and Black to $1299.

GC $1299 for SG Standards

K35719000002001-00-220x220.jpg

• Upvote 2

Just FYI -- Guitar Center recently lowered the price of 2018 SG Standards in Cherry and Black to $1299.

GC $1299 for SG Standards

K35719000002001-00-220x220.jpg

WOW, I had no idea !!! Guitar Center bringing GIBSON USA prices back to reality, NICE ONE ! Does the GC 2018 SG STD have Locking Grovers ? I kno they hav the '61 P-Up's. I remember when they came out I tried to get a new 2017 SG STD in the Cherry 'Burst colour and I could NOT find one, DANG ! GIBSON USA discontinued that particular colour since 2017. IDK why, but the 2017 SG STD's in Cherry-Bust are AWESOME looking....I did not get one as they were on 4-6 week back order when I got my 2017 Black-Beauty.......which is, IMO, a slightly better Guitar than the 2018's...but only due to having the '57's & the Locking Grover's.

BUT OMG, the 2019 SG's were a disappointment to me...the $1500 one's are the 2016 'SG' STD's (Low End 490 R&T P-Up's) w/$300 increase and frikkin Gig-Bag !! and the $1800 STD's dont have Locking Grover's(Gibson Deluxe aren't horrible) for my $500 price increase ! SO, I went to AMS dot com and got that 2019 'SG' STD W/MAESTRO you actually posted the picture of (Thanks Again !)........it is pricey, but really BAD-A$....(after I shielded the Toggle-Switch/Control Cavity Cover it is PERFECT !)

Edited by Wild Bill 212
  • Upvote 1

I have a 2017 Tribute Goldtop and absolutely love that guitar. It plays as well as my Standard, Traditional and Classic and sounds amazing. They're great guitars for the money and without all the frills. It's the guitar that sits on the stand next to the couch for me to pick up and play and is also one that goes with me to band rehearsals and gigs. The only thing I don't like about it is that I wish it had a hardshell case instead of a padded gig bag.

• Upvote 2

1546737081[/url]' post='1970877']

I want to buy a Gibson Les Paul but don't have lots of money. Looking the Tribute. Good guitar? How about the pickups?

Yes, they're great guitars, and they sound great! A Big bang for the buck! ;)

18gtfront.jpg

• Upvote 2

1547066364[/url]' post='1971431']

Revolution Six - First, I neutralized the red negative someone gave you...

Second, you did a SPECTACULAR job on your 2017 Tribute...from the white 'binding' to the true amber toggle-switch cap.

I mean - Whoa! ...enjoy that beauty for many years.

Two thumbs up!

-

EDIT: Someone just gave your post a red mark again - I dunno why - but shame on him! ...that's right, it was a male.

-

EDIT #2: Someone neutralized the second negative on your post. I guess there are some nice people out there.

-

I am terribly sorry about the "red mark"! That was me *lowers head in shame*... I was clicking the green positive and accidentally hit the red. I tried everything I could to reverse it, but to no avail. If someone knows how to reverse it I gladly will. I have that same model LP and was just trying to show my support it. BTW, I have NEVER marked a -negative on anyone, I'm the kind of person that will come out and tell you I don't like it, lol

Again, my sincerest apologies!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...