Gibson Brands Forums

Had a bone saddle installed on my J-45 Standard................

jjrpilot

I love active pickups but I HATE having to change the batteries. Most other than Taylor, you have to undo the strings/loosen the strings/ or just replace them when you have to swap out the 9 volt or whatever battery it uses.

Today I made my pilgrimage to Mass Street Music in Lawrence, KS from KC, MO...about a 50 min drive.

I took my Taylor 324 (which I ordered without any pickups in 2016) and I also took my J-45 Standard which had the stock LR Baggs Element Plus installed.

I had KK Pure Minis installed in both (I haven't had the chance to try them yet.)

Well with the LR Baggs under saddle element, I knew that a new saddle would be needed so I took a new bone saddle I ordered from MacNichol Guitars.

The guys at Mass are wonderful and trimmed/adjusted the new bone saddle for me and installed it.

For all you J-45 fans out there.........................wow! I know everyone does with their guitars what they want....but WOW!

My J-45 was already amazing in every way but now it's on steroids. NOW I understand why so many of you (no matter the brand of guitar) get your saddles swapped out instantly when you get it.

The LR Baggs Element while good, obviously sat between the saddle and the bridge "eating up" contact. This bone saddle now sits directly on the bridge and the sound difference is Night and Day.

The J-45 didn't lose any of its warmth, but gain insane volume and punch. It responds even more to delicate finger picking. I'm....really at a loss for words. I should have taken everyone's advise much earlier.

So for all you J-45 owners out there...get yourself a bone saddle....maybe do away with that under-saddle pick up. The J-45 which was heavenly to begin with.......is just light years ahead of where it was early this morning.

When I got my j45 back after undersaddle pickup removal and a bone saddle installed I too noticed a weight difference when I picked it up and indeed a nice improvement in its sound ..

No different , just like going from standard definition to HD

I’m still not totally convinced that it is the bone material or the fact that the saddle fits EXACTLY in its slot.

I’d recommend anyone with a new guitar to take it for a setup ... it’s a bit like new tyres on your car. Same car and all but smoother ride

Worth every penny

new cars dont need new tires

Whilst I understand the fact that you're really just here to put a stick in the spokes of conversation, it's arguable that some new cars do need new tyres. If you buy a car and want to reduce road noise, there are a lot of tyres out there that offer that option. If you want to lower the ride height, fit runflats, add grip, reduce fuel consumption, improve handling, etc etc there are plenty of opportunities to do that by changing tread patterns, sidewall stiffness, size, shore hardness and all manner of other tyre related parameters.

So whilst a new guitar may not NEED a setup and a new car may not NEED new tyres, there is every reason for a player or driver to make changes that suit their preferences. In fact, why would someone play a guitar or drive a car that they DIDN'T enjoy when they could make reasonably economical changes to improve things and tune their car/guitar to their tastes.

This posting string is ridiculous in my opinion. Changing out a saddle is a common practice by guitar owners to find what works best for a particular guitar. Bone saddles have a history of producing a great sound, challenged only recently by modern era synthetic material saddles like tusq also producing a great sound...to the point of its strictly a personal preference and which works best on any given guitar.

What’s really ironic on this forum is how more players in this posting string about switching out a saddle, something commonplace, is getting more of a reaction than responses to owners who switch out their pick guards or tuners...which isn’t as commonplace and doesn’t potentially influence how a guitar sounds to any degree like switching out a saddle might do. Guess one can’t make up the ironies inherent in posting behavior sometimes. It’s always amazing to me. But, whatever...

With that said, I am glad to learn the original poster finds changing to a bone saddle helps his guitar’s sound. I have about 39 instruments in my collection. Some have bone saddles because it makes them sound best to my ears. Some have tusq saddles and in those I find tusq makes those sound best. And, some, I’ve changed out a saddle to put in a better fitting saddle and that helped, too.

Just my two cents.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I made plenty of changes to an already stellar new J-45 (at the time. Bought in 2014). Had a trusted luthier take out the electrics, change the saddle to a compensated bone ivory (no, not actual ivory...) and install some pearl-headed oval Waverlys. All improvements on an already great original. It's a keeper.

Archived