Gibson Brands Forums

Logo on pickguard or not?

livemusic

When I bought my new black and white J45, I thought I was buying one that looked like this first pic (because that was what the promo showed) but when I got it, it has a Gibson logo on the pickguard like the second pic. My initial reaction was I don't like this logo on here. I liked (and anticipated) the simplicity of solid white on solid black. I was not even aware a logo was on any of them until I got mine. I read something indicating this logo is apropos for a 1960s type of reissue. The guitar is supposed to be built like a certain J45 in the 1960s. Anyway... hmmm... don't know what to do. Since I bought it based on a photo that has a pickguard with nothing on it, I wonder if the seller will send me a blank pickguard. What do you think about this logo being on there, like it or not? It proudly displays "Gibson" but it has red and gold and I am just not sure I like anything other than black/white. I dunno, it might grow on me; it's cool that "Gibson" is so viewable. (I didn't buy it from the seller that is the source of photo 2. I link it because the photo shows the guitar in the same position, horizontal, as photo 1.)

RS48EBN17_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

lg_e55c2d5deeeddea22cf95eb31d5faf4b.JPG

The "boob" pickguard you got was(I believe) only used in about 1967. Others here may have more definitive info.

It is distinctive and classic, but not everyone likes it. Goes pretty well with the black/white theme, however.

I have a black J45 with the tortoise-shell pickguard, which I prefer. My suggestion would be to play the guitar for a while...if you end up really liking the guitar, but can't stand the pick guard, you might have it switched out. Personally, I wouldn't do anything right away.

Since you asked, I prefer the guard without the logo. By the way, does your guitar have the adjustable saddle as in pic one, or is it the conventional style as in pic 2?

Very, very, VERY cool looking guitar! Logo is a very minor issue. Maybe you could polish it off, if you don't like it?

Lars

Edit: nevermind, I just saw your other thread about adjusting the saddle [biggrin]

The "boob" pickguard you got was(I believe) only used in about 1967. Others here may have more definitive info.

Everything I've ever run across that I would trust indicates 1968 for the introduction of the logo pickguard. Gruhn says "late 1968."

As for logo or no logo, I'm not a fan of white pickguards in general, but imho, on this guitar the logo adds a nice touch and makes it more appealing overall.

Everything I've ever run across that I would trust indicates 1968 for the introduction of the logo pickguard. Gruhn says "late 1968."

There apparently was a lot of transition in 1968. That's also the year they did the screwed-on pickguard. When my '48-'50 J-45 came back from Gibson after its "repair" in August of 1968, it had a new top with a cherryburst finish, an adj bridge/saddle (rosewood), a thick red screwed-on batwing pickguard (no boob logo), and a slimmed-down neck.

In other words, it pretty much personified the mid-1968 J-45 aesthetic.

Yes, pro-boob here. I was noticing that the incoming Tuxedo J-45 linked to coming to MR Gibbs in his "Awaiting it's Player" thread did not show the logo on the 'guard, but was mentioned in the listing at AMS: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/145371-another-one-is-waiting-its-player/page__view__findpost__p__1970120.

'Can't find the official name for the pickguard, but I recall it meaning to be a graphic referring to audio and/or recording, a sonogram, or somesuch.

Btw- originals are quite sought after, and a little online searching suggests that even highly faded ones are still valuable.

Archived