Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Day

badbluesplayer

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very pretty guitar but when that little cat of yours desires to sharpen its claws on that new les paul marking its ownership, what are you going to do?

Cats strop on things in order to take the sheath(s) off their claws, not to signify ownership. Cats that have a satisfactory place to strop, one that works well for their body and has a good surface to pull against will always use that spot, and it only takes about ten minutes to buy or create that spot for them.

My cats have always owned my guitars completely or ignored them entirely, whatever they feel like. If one is laying on a guitar and I want that guitar, I wait until that cat gets up and leaves.

Our most beloved and Dearest Prudence caused an inch and a half crack in one of my Martins, but I would crack all of my guitars if we could have her back just for one day.

I love BBPs cats and guitars and amps pictures.

rct

Wow, even more beautiful in person. Personally, I like the poker chip and pickguard on the cherry burst, just for that classic look. Can't wait to hear how you like the way it plays and what options you chose with the dip switches. Congratulations!

Chip and Guard for me would depend on the quality of the flame or quilt of the maple top, i believe a plain top or a solid colour ie. Black or Gold must have them on but a AAA+ or better top should be on display.

secondly......i love all GIBSON Les Pauls in ALL colours and all configurations IMO its the GOAT of guitars.

That's a great scratcher!

I wrapped 1/2" rope around all basement pillars. Of course, they only use one of the 6, it's been shredded to replacement a few times over the years.

rct

I played it a bunch yesterday through a DR and PR and I was struggling a little to get the thing to sound good. It's pretty harsh sounding with a super narrow sweet spot on the controls. I can say without hesitation that this guitar has the worst sounding electronics of any Gibson I ever played. I figured up front that I'd be replacing the guts, so it's kind of in the budget already. [thumbup]

So I popped off the back plate to see what they're doing with the electronics. I didn't remove the board yet, so I couldn't figure it out 100% yet. There are no schematics available or any description of what's actually going on (strike one). I discovered that it's basically 50's wiring, which makes for a very narrow sweet spot (strike two). It has two treble bleeds, one of which seems to always be in the circuit (the rhythm pickup). The other one is in a weird place and I couldn't tell how it kicks in. Strike two and a half.

The push pull functions are just kind of foolish. I tried the out-of-phase thing. I tried the tone pot bypass thing. I didn't try the coil taps/splits. I have a telecaster, I just need this to sound like a Les Paul. I didn't try the 5 different functions that the dip switches are for. One of them, an overload circuit includes two little clipping diodes (ewww). To an amp guy and an engineer, this stuff is science fair level material. Nice project Jimmy. You strangled this LP until it sounds like a science fair. [laugh]

I can't really tell if the pickups are that good. I'll have to do some research and try them with some conventional controls with regular sixties wiring and see how they are. They' just super harsh with these electronics.

I'll prolly replace the whole guts. Make a new harness with some two wire pickups. No diodes, please. [biggrin]

Hey Gibson boss man - get rid of this stuff, save yourself a few mil every year and stop trying to be smarter than your customers. You're not. The customer is king. Not Jim Decola. Why is that guy even anywhere within 100 miles of Nashville? I figured they'd run him out with Henry.

Anyway, the guitar itself is super nice. Y'all at Gibson just don't "get" stuff easily. You can't make the best there is any better by force of personality or ego or anything else. Whoever designed this stuff has a bad ear. It makes the guitar worth like $500 less. Multiply that by say 10,000 units and you're really throwing away some serious value there.

People who think they're smarter than they are will always overestimate their position. That's what happened with Juskiewicz and Decola. I'm betting they'll turn things around all the way. [thumbup]

Whoa, hang on there big fella. Before you go tearing out all the wiring and pickups give it a few weeks more of playing it. I got the 2017 LP Standard with the Burstbucker pros (and printed circuit board but no dip switches) and when I first got it I wasn't sure about it either, seemed on the shrill harsh side. But after playing it for awhile, and adjusting my usual amp settings (mainly just cutting back on the treble a notch or two) I found the sweet spot and now I love it.

You didn't buy this to sound like a 335 after all - give it a little more time you may find it grows on you. [thumbup]

Whoa, hang on there big fella. Before you go tearing out all the wiring and pickups give it a few weeks more of playing it. I got the 2017 LP Standard with the Burstbucker pros (and printed circuit board but no dip switches) and when I first got it I wasn't sure about it either, seemed on the shrill harsh side. But after playing it for awhile, and adjusting my usual amp settings (mainly just cutting back on the treble a notch or two) I found the sweet spot and now I love it.

You didn't buy this to sound like a 335 after all - give it a little more time you may find it grows on you. [thumbup]

Yeah, I think you're right. The sound is there. It's just a really narrow sweet spot. It sounded better yesterday after a couple hours. [thumbup]

Guitar sounds great - I’d buy it haha! But I’d be patient with it and not worry about electronics replacement. Guitars have some growing pains - especially good ones. My LP Custom had some issues and I just play it and now things are doing much better with it. I have the 498T-490R in traditional hand-wired scheme and I’m saying that this limits you even more. I personally like the DIP switch options and you have option to configure for the traditional connections... There have been some crazy ideas out here with guitars, but this isn’t really one of them IMO. This is a very nice feature I believe actually to change your electronics in the flick of a switch or two. And to boot that guitar is gorgeous!!!

Archived