Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Kalamazoo Award?

WScott

Hi,

I saw a guitar listed for sale recently as a 2000 Gibson Kalamazoo Award L-5 Citation. What are, or were, Gibson Kalamazoo Award guitar? I read they were only produced until 1984 when Gibson left Kalamazoo but I do not know if this is accurate. Of course, the Citation is a real top-of-the-line model. So did Gibson continue to produce Kalamazoo Award custom guitars after leaving Michigan? If so, did they make a Citation Kalamazoo Award model in 2000?

Thanks, Scott

Sounds like a typical Gibson marketing strategy. An L-5 is a superb instrument and commands a high price. To add some extra "verve" Gibson will come up with things like the "Kalamazoo Award". I have an L-5 built in 2012 and it is part of what they called "Custom Crimson" series and the COA goes into great detail about how the luthiers are only the best of the best and have to earn their spot on the custom crimson team etc. etc.

The Kalamazoo award sounds very similar to me. Although I have no basis in fact as to what it might be. The L-5 is pretty much the top of line at Gibson with or without any special designations.

There is an orange Guaranteed label inside; the serial number is 21740001. The seller says it is a 2000 model and the serial number seems to support that - maybe the first one they built in that year?

The seller is asking over $14,000! And that is one of least expensive Citations I have seen. :o

Thanks, Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Archived