Gibson Brands Forums

Who Else Likes an SG for Jazz Tones?

GuildPlayer

Although I may be the world's worst Jazz guitarist, I find myself always looking for a sweet jazz tone for my pop and blues pop music. I Have a 2013 Gibson SGJ that I loaded with Lindy Fralin Big Singles. It has a mahogany body and a maple neck and I just love the clear, defined tones I can squeeze from it. The fact that it has 24 frets that are so easily accessible doesnt hurt either. I was wondering if anybody else here likes an SG for Jazz or Jazz tones. Let's share the love and discuss!

• Upvote 2

So far it looks like your the only guy playing an SG with a clean tone setting.

Although I may be the world's worst Jazz guitarist, I find myself always looking for a sweet jazz tone for my pop and blues pop music. I Have a 2013 Gibson SGJ that I loaded with Lindy Fralin Big Singles. It has a mahogany body and a maple neck and I just love the clear, defined tones I can squeeze from it. The fact that it has 24 frets that are so easily accessible doesnt hurt either. I was wondering if anybody else here likes an SG for Jazz or Jazz tones. Let's share the love and discuss!

Also I did not mean to sound like an a$$ either. I love an SG and have had a couple and have recorded a few country tracks for people with one. But it is just not something you see in that field of playing. Most of those guys like the fat hollow bodies.

I've never had an SG but, I have found that onee can play jazz with just about any guitar. I used to Love using my Epiphone Korina V for jazz gigs! Not only did it sound great but, it had the added thrill of seeing everyone's O face as they wondered what they were about to hear!

• Upvote 1

Ummmm, I don't play jazz, so let me make that clarification ... But my '79 SG Standard has 496R/500T pickups in it, and does get some nice clean tones. Yes, for the most part, I am most times going with a heavy overdriven tone, but it does do cleans well too. That all being said, there is no surprise here that it does not get those classic-type jazz tones. Cleans, yes. Jazz, no. However .... my Les Paul gets some nice jazz tones with the '57 Classic pup in the neck.

The real question is who else enjoys playing anything but AC/DC riffs with an SG? Frankly I get pretty sick of hearing a out of tune opening riff of You Shook Me All Night Long, Back in Black or Thunderstruck anytime somebody picks up an SG. Great, thank you, NEXT!

I love it when people use SG’s beyond the typical 3 Chord rock n roll. Jazz? Hell yeah! Blues? yes! Adult contemporary Neo psychedelic post punk hard core? Fu#! ‘n A!

Edited by FuzzBuzz

IMHO, playing an SG clean is like taking a hooker to church.

Very interesting and right on, the SG has such a powerful power image as a hot guitar for a long list of shredders. It is one of the easiest for reaching all of the high notes. But as one of the members reoccurring comments in here is that its a tool, what you get out of it is all in your hands...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1

Very interesting and right on, the SG has such a powerful power image as a hot guitar for a long list of shredders. It is one of the easiest for reaching all of the high notes. But as one of the members reoccurring comments in here is that its a tool, what you get out of it is all in your hands...

Tru dat!

• Upvote 1

I love clean Jazz style tones. Admittedly SG’s are not thought of in this area but I put a set of Ken Armstrong vintage PAF style pickups ( Alnico 2 7.5k ohm neck/8k ohm

Bridge) D A SET OF DR Pure Blues Nickle wound strings and get the tone I had in my head I wanted

That SG should do Right On Jazz sounds. SG's are kicking 6 stringers anyway. G2A7rZA.gif

Edited by gsgbass

• 2 years later...
  • Hey! I got into jazz couple years ago, been playing with a D'angeico EXL-1 Premier hollowbody guitar, but also with my Gibson SG tribute 2019 and now every day with the SG because my D'angelico got stolen. I Think the conception most people have of it as a rock guitar is obviously justified but also limits the incredible versatility of the SG, the clean tones are sweet, warm and defined, if people use Telecaster and strat to jazz, why not the SG? besides the playabilty is great. 😄