Gibson Brands Forums

What is this? Is it Real? Mixed Information on this '68 RI Custom

Hi guys,

It has been a while since I have posted. Thanks for your time here.

I purchased a 2005 Silverburst Custom '68 Reissue from a fairly large guitar shop and everything looked legit. It appeared to be a fairly rare find and is part of the reason for my purchase. I could find Custom Siverburst, but no reissues. I didn't have any reason to be suspicious, the workmanship, the setup, everything was the quality I expected from a Gibson. I've had several Gibson LPs from studios to standards however, this was my 1st custom. I recently had some people question a few things. Primarily the sloppy wiring and type of pickups. I ask Gibsons customer support and they told me it left the factory as a Custom with 498T and 490R pickups. Even though, the Serial number indicates a '68 reissue and he will not clarify this discrepancy for me. The photos are of the questionable wiring that looks sloppy and the pickups that are clearly not 498T and 490Rs. I believe a '68 reissues should have Burstbucker pickups which it looks to have if I'm correct. Another problem I have with Gibson's claim is the the tailpiece mounting. It goes directly into the wood and doesn't have the metal inserts. As far as I know, this is reflective of a '68 reissue, not a regular custom as Gibson claims that this Serial number is. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated? SN 055118

Thanks again for your time and any help!!

Harry

post-26100-068199400 1547649885_thumb.jpg

post-26100-077411800 1547649900_thumb.jpg

post-26100-059358400 1547650021_thumb.jpg

post-26100-083529200 1547650093_thumb.jpg

It looks like a legit '68 reissue. That's what the SN indicates. Don't know why it would have had 490/498s or why Gibson said it wasn't a RI. Maybe it was a M2M?? It also looks like maybe it was rewired. If so that could be when someone put Burstbuckers in it, which is what those pickups look like.

It looks like a legit '68 reissue. That's what the SN indicates. Don't know why it would have had 490/498s or why Gibson said it wasn't a RI. Maybe it was a M2M?? It also looks like maybe it was rewired. If so that could be when someone put Burstbuckers in it, which is what those pickups look like.

Thanks for the input! I don't know why they would say it either, even if their records show it, they should realize that the serial number doesn't match what they are telling me and yet I can't get them to clarify why they think it's not a '68 reissue. It does't have 490/498s, that is what Gibson is telling me that it has. However, as seen in the photo above, it has something else that I believe is burstbuckers but I'm not real knowledgeable on those. I've also been told that the guys a Gibson aren't normally very how do I say... Informed, willing to be right, eagar to help beyond a couple key strokes, and so on. I was also told by one person that they aren't always the cleanest when wiring up guitars either. Which might be the case, but a solder ball just sitting there without a wire in it would be really stretching it in the concentration department. I don't really doubt that it's a true Gibson but I just don't know if I paid too much for it. I couldn't find but a couple silverburst '68 reissues so I paid maybe $800-$1000 more than I think I would have for just a modified Custom.

Thanks again Black Dog for your time and all your help!

Archived