Gibson Brands Forums

Is my neck twisted?

What you measured will not clearly tel you that there’s a twist. You need some special tools and someone experienced with those tools to verify this for you it sounds like if you think this is a big concern. If the guitar plays fine I wouldn’t worry about it though. Gibson makes good stuff and I’ve never ran into a twisted neck on one, but is IS possible I suppose. But it wouldn’t hurt to find someone that knows how to look at a guitar and evaluate its statejust for peace of mind.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 9:19 PM, Gino753 said:

I noticed that my 2017 Gibson les paul traditional, has less relief on the treble side than the bass side.The treble side is .005 thousandths lower than the bass side, im trying to show pics sighting down the neck but i see no option

Apologies for reviving an older thread.

I have also observed that each of my Gibson guitars—regardless of whether it be an electric or acoustic, custom shop or from the standard lineup—shows more relief on the bass side than on the treble side when doing a relief check. The variance lies within a thousandth of an inch, mind you.

This could either have to do with how Gibson necks are assembled, that is that the dove tail neck is carved and fitted by hand, and that the neck is ever so slightly tilted to the bass side (by design?) or that there is some asymmetrical radius to the fretboard itself or its frets that I don't know about.

In the end, it has no impact on playability or setup of course, for the variance is so miniscule; it's just a curiosity,  I guess.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

I wouldn't consider slight more relief on the low E a twist; it's a blessing.  All my Gibsons seem to have that differing relief. Even with triple maple necks. Either way, it plays better. IMHO and no worries.

Maybe it's just semantics, but if the horizontal on the first fret is not aligned with the horizontal on the last fret then it's a twist and could pose play-ability problems with action heights. 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, Leonard McCoy said:

Apologies for reviving an older thread.

I have also observed that each of my Gibson guitars—regardless of whether it be an electric or acoustic, custom shop or from the standard lineup—shows more relief on the bass side than on the treble side when doing a relief check. The variance lies within a thousandth of an inch, mind you.

This could either have to do with how Gibson necks are assembled, that is that the dove tail neck is carved and fitted by hand, and that the neck is ever so slightly tilted to the bass side (by design?) or that there is some asymmetrical radius to the fretboard itself or its frets that I don't know about.

In the end, it has no impact on playability or setup of course, for the variance is so miniscule; it's just a curiosity,  I guess.

I learned a long time ago not to micro scrutinize my guitars. I replace the strings when they become corroded. I sleep better with this policy.

• Upvote 1