Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best amp for the ES-330?

siod

Hi,

I just picked up an ES-330 and I guess it's time to look at a new amp.

What kind of gear have you got?

Are you happy with it?

What kind of amp would you recommend for the ES-330?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Hey, congratulations on the acquiring the ES-330. We could go on and on regarding an amp for that beauty. Im a Fender guy, so I always lean toward a Fender amp. Get the clean tone and build on that. Depending on your style and budget, there's a plethora of amps to choose from. I love the '68 Fender Custom Deluxe Reverb. Great tones out of both channels, while the custom channel is built to add an OD pedal. Ive played through my friends Fender Bassbreaker with my ES-Les Paul and the amp sounds great. Used of both amps are very affordable. Also love the Princeton. If Brit is more of your flavor, the Vox AC-15C1 sounds very nice and very affordable. High end? Morgan PR12 or Divide/13.

Keep us in the loop on where you go with this.

I own an ES-330 and I play it through a Music Man RD 112 50. It's an old amp (mine is from 1982) but, it's fantastic! I also use it with my other guitars; an Epiphone Les Paul, a Mexican Strat, and an electrified classical. You can find one on ebay for $500-700 or so. It should be noted that I am a huge fan of the original MM amps. Some folks don't like the gain on them but, I think most would agree that the clean sound is just right. They were originally designed by Leo Fender after he sold Fender to CBS. As they seem to continue to go up in value, I don't see how you can go wrong with one. That' my two cents...Good Luck!

G Mac- the Music Man 112 RD is a great amp. I picked one up when I saw the one album cover of Clapton sitting on the couch playing through one. I used that amp for a long time. Great sound and sorry I got rid of it, although I went to '72 Vibrolux Reverb which I still have. I found another MM 112RD again, hoping to get the magic back from my original amp, but it just did not sound the same and ended up selling it.

Twang Gang is right about the Twin- nothing like that amp. Its a beautiful sound when you play through that clean amp. I've had 2 of them. You always want to go back to that tone...Only problem is the weight.

A recommendation for an amp is is even less meaningful than a recommendation for s guitar without knowing what you are going to use it for. What sound? Style of music? Additionally for an amp, Home? Bedroom? Portable? For gigs? Let alone budget.

Depends a lot on what sound you're going for...

But, it's hard to go wrong with good All Tube Fenders or Vox.....

Vintage may be most desirable but the new all Tube Fender PRRI's, DRRI's, Twins & several of ther other all Tube models are great! As are new all Tube Vox AC10's, AC15's & AC30's especially with Celstion Alnico Blue Speakers.... The Handwired versions are even better....

L

Fender Twin Reverb Valve or Roland JC120 Transistor variants if you want clear clean sounds at low and medium volumes.

Make sure for home use there is very low or nil hum originating from the amp at low volume levels otherwise close your wallet.

That is my view for what it is worth.

Yes, there are many other great amps from other great manufactures to consider so take your time choosing.

Chris.

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for the input!!!

I just want to say that I am hesitant to pick up any used equipment. I have had some bad experiences in the past and now I prefer to buy only new and know exactly what I am dealing with as opposed to dealing with major and or intermittent problems at the most inconvenient and important moments.

Having said that, I have had a number of Fender amps in the past, both tube and solid state as I was a huge Fender guy. Until that one day, when I brought home my first Les Paul. That day changed everything for me. The intolerable quacking sounds of my Stratocaster had in an instant, become a thing of the past as the quack was replaced by what seemed like a punch in the teeth, coming out of that Les Paul. Soon after, all my Fender guitars became strictly backup gear to be used only in case of emergency!

But I digress...

Getting back on point, with technology advancing the way it has and all the amps that have modelling capabilities now, I was thinking of trying something different than Fender.

A few days ago, I plugged in a low end Aria guitar ($160) and initially tried some different models Orange, Vox, Line 6, Yamaha etc... and one solid state Marshall, I was seriously depressed at the sound, all the while wrongfully blaming the guitar for the low quality sound I was hearing.

Because when I plugged in this Aria guitar, into the Marshall JCM DSL 401 tube amp, my jaw hit the floor at the sounds being produced. All of a sudden, this low end guitar was sounding better than “Lucille". I just couldn't believe how this guitar came to life and sang like a choir of angels through this amp.

Needless to say, I had to control myself to immediately not shell out the asking price and instead forced myself to keep it together, regroup, do some research and come back better informed. After searching the internet for several days and looking at the models available, I believe I have narrowed it down to a Marshall tube amp.

The question has now become combo or head and cab?

I don't really care about transport or cost or how it would look on stage...

I play mainly rock & roll classics from the Beatles to Led Zep and Pink Floyd, Hendrix to Clapton right up to the hits of today.

As I am going to be stuck with this purchase for a while, I'd like to be sure I make the right choice...

The question has become;

Is there a reason not to choose Marshall and if not, then combo or head & cab?

Any ideas, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for the input!!!

I just want to say that I am hesitant to pick up any used equipment. I have had some bad experiences in the past and now I prefer to buy only new and know exactly what I am dealing with as opposed to dealing with major and or intermittent problems at the most inconvenient and important moments.

Having said that, I have had a number of Fender amps in the past, both tube and solid state as I was a huge Fender guy. Until that one day, when I brought home my first Les Paul. That day changed everything for me. The intolerable quacking sounds of my Stratocaster had in an instant, become a thing of the past as the quack was replaced by what seemed like a punch in the teeth, coming out of that Les Paul. Soon after, all my Fender guitars became strictly backup gear to be used only in case of emergency!

But I digress...

Getting back on point, with technology advancing the way it has and all the amps that have modelling capabilities now, I was thinking of trying something different than Fender.

A few days ago, I plugged in a low end Aria guitar ($160) and initially tried some different models Orange, Vox, Line 6, Yamaha etc... and one solid state Marshall, I was seriously depressed at the sound, all the while wrongfully blaming the guitar for the low quality sound I was hearing.

Because when I plugged in this Aria guitar, into the Marshall JCM DSL 401 tube amp, my jaw hit the floor at the sounds being produced. All of a sudden, this low end guitar was sounding better than "Lucille". I just couldn't believe how this guitar came to life and sang like a choir of angels through this amp.

Needless to say, I had to control myself to immediately not shell out the asking price and instead forced myself to keep it together, regroup, do some research and come back better informed. After searching the internet for several days and looking at the models available, I believe I have narrowed it down to a Marshall tube amp.

The question has now become combo or head and cab?

I don't really care about transport or cost or how it would look on stage...

I play mainly rock & roll classics from the Beatles to Led Zep and Pink Floyd, Hendrix to Clapton right up to the hits of today.

As I am going to be stuck with this purchase for a while, I'd like to be sure I make the right choice...

The question has become;

Is there a reason not to choose Marshall and if not, then combo or head & cab?

Any ideas, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

See, you should have started posting that, but no harm no foul. Personally, I like 100w heads. Lots of versatility there, it is not a matter of getting it as loud as possible, it is getting the tubes to do their thing when you get them cooking. I scratch that itch that is pretty much the same as you have with the Marshall Silver Jube 2555X. Switchable to 50w. Matching cab(s) are a must if you really want to get the most out of it. Next in line, for maximum versatility, I'd pop for a JVM410H, more specifically the JVM410HJS Joe Satriani variation.But play though it before you get it, or buy it returnable, regardless of what you decide on.There are lots of awesome high end tube amps out there, but me and my wallet don't have any experience with them.

sparquelito,

You are not alone!

We are here with you!!

You have provided some pretty sound advice. What I found out later and it's the one thing that bugs me now is the store told me the amp was manufactured in 2013 and is now discontinued. The part that bugs me is they stopped making that amp in 2008. That means it has been sitting as a Demo model for at least the last 11 years and they want to sell it to me as NEW...

Is it better if a tube amp is sitting slightly unused?

Would you agree that it should be sold as new or slightly used?

Should I just take it and ask no questions?

Wmachine,

I like the way you think!

As a matter of fact I was trying out a Marshall JVM205H with a 2x12...

The Joe Satriani model though is not available at my current location.

They even had the Marshall JVM205C (combo)...

The thing is, when they ask me what guitar I would like to test out the amp with, I always tell them to give me the cheapest guitar in the store.

A shitty amp will make a shitty guitar sound shitty!

A greaet amp will make a shitty guitar sound great!

:-)

In the back of my mind, the JCM DSL401 still sounded better than the JVMH.

What I found out later and it's the one thing that bugs me now is the store told me the amp was manufactured in 2013 and is now discontinued. The part that bugs me is they stopped making that amp in 2008. That means it has been sitting as a Demo model for at least the last 11 years and they want to sell it to me as NEW...

First off, I know DSLs have changed a bit, but I'd still do a fact check on the build years and all Just because they "say" they know the info, don't mean they actually "DO"..

Also.. Wouldn't ya think that store should be looking to MOVE it. I'd make an offer and try and meet in the middle. I don't see a problem with going with a floor demo, but they should cut you a bit of slack on the price too.

you can always go online, but amps via fed-ex/ups can be a bit of a gamble, but a place like Sweetwater or Musicians Friend should have plenty of options to chose from. And if Fed Ex or UPS kill it, it's on the store to get you another one

kidblast,

The DSLs have changed a bit but most importantly they are now made in China and not England.

And I did try to make a deal but they wouldn't budge off the sticker price.

Sweetwater doesn't help me as I am currently not in The USA.

The shipping and import fees would be through the roof.

The closest main distributer to me is in Germany (https://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html).

When I chat with these dudes, I need to google translate English to German otherwise the won't even answer me...

And they only have the made in China models...

It's kinda like... if you want it, pay for it, otherwise take your ball and go home! :-)

I managed to find a Marshall JCM 600 tube amp for 350 euros but it is a 1997 model.

It seems to be in very fine shape, as it was sheltered by its cover for years...

Do you think it's worth it?

How much would it cost to replace the tubes on this thing?

How long do tubes usually last before replacement is required?

Sounds like the Marshal is the right choice for you.. As for Tubes, depends on what level of quality Tubes you want... Like everything else there's entry level, mid level & Vintage level. It could range from about $100.00 +/- to several hundred dollars for OEMS or othe high end Tubes...

Who knows how long they last? Good to have spares...

Seems strange that with a good Fender or Vox Amp you couldn't get killer sounds out of that killer Guitar? Quality Tube versions of those Amps have been the Amps of choice from Garage Bands to The Beatles. With great success!

Archived